Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  6:55:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Simply an amazing process and the results are just awesome.
Peter

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/17/2006 :  10:47:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great progress, Tim, and I don't see anything wrong with the rock color - I like it just fine. Painting the pink foam an earth color sure boosts your spirits, doesn't it? I did the same thing years ago and couldn't believe the difference a coat of paint made!

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  07:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow - your rock work is fantastic - I'm amazed at how much you've accomplished - great work.

I noticed you created a great deal of "pink foam dust" while carving the rock - is there any use for that other than filling the rubbish bin?

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/18/2006 :  1:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Miles,

Yes I am a pink shaving collector at times, I have used it for making hills etc and then covering it up with plaster cloth, but there is one annoying thing about it. That is the mastic I use does not dry completely before I start carving away, thus these little styrofoam'ies have glue in them. You can literally pick them up from the floor and make a ball out of them before they dry.
Most of them I just throw away.

I have found a spray adhesive that is suppose to glue styrofoam together quickly and dry similar to contact glue. I am anxious to give it a try.

Thanks for the comments everyone, it helps keep me going.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/20/2006 :  10:07:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Quick update, I am making some progress.

First couple pictures is the plaster pour to get the stream bed level. Interesting enough its still not quite level. I guess I did not pour it thin enough.

Not much scenery done, but we got the backdrop painted and I decided to paint the ceiling blue in this area. It will look better in photos, vs a white ceiling.

Also painted that drain pipe, it always has amazed me what a little paint does.

The last two pics are not very good, but it shows the almost finished dirt road in another part of the layout. I have messed with this area to try to get the look of a dirt road, I think I am close, or at least to my eye.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  01:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like it all Tim! The dirt road looks great to me!

Mark

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  05:19:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, that dirt road looks very realistic, great work.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  07:15:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Add me to the list of those who think that the dirt road looks very convincing.

I was happy that I ballasted about 3' of track and added scenery to about 1 sq. ft. of the layout last night. Then I see the progress that made on several fronts on your layout. I need to set my sights higher!

Bruce

jknapp
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  08:07:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit jknapp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Beautiful scenery! Looks real, real good.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  09:34:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, the real fun part is just about ready to start.
I do not like the way the dirt road pics turned out so I think I will use a tripod this weekend and post some in the weekend phot fun if there is a thread.

Bruce,

If there is one thing I have always prided myself on, and that is when I am working on the RR I really am working hard. The problem is getting motivated to start
Also don't forget I have helpers that show up on Tuesday nights that help me out. Two of us did the final prep work and painted the backdrop/ceiling.
I find you make great progress, other than when your in Aruba.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  09:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, the dirt road and the scenery on either side of it are outstanding! You've really got an "eye" for creating realistic scenes!

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  10:29:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, yes, the dirt road looks very real. Any "secret techniques" you want to share with us???

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  1:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Al, I would be more than happy to share the secret technique, if I could remember how I did it. Maybe latter I will try to do a tutorial, but I need to get the process down. I must of tried 5 or 6 different ways. I have more time in that little stretch of road than.....well we don't really want to know. Its kind of like that calc..u ba//r thing we don't use.

jaynjay
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  4:40:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit jaynjay's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I'm kind of new to this mountain scenery thing. Was there any particular reason you used all the foam sheets for your mountains, over the cardboard/plaster-soaked-towels method. I have a large mountain (4-feet x 4-feet area) that I will be making and I was going to use the plaster soaked towels over carboard strips method; only because it's the only method I've seen. The method you used looked real good up until you used that big sanding drum in your drill motor, what a mess that had to be

John

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 07/21/2006 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
John, Very good question.

The main reason for the stacked up styrofoam sheets where the large mountain is because I cannot reach it from the benchwork. Therefore I built the complete mountain frame work with styrofoam. The whole mountain lifts out, its approx, 6-7' long and 30" high. Its lite, and rigid after its constructed. I will then do all the rock work out in my shop plus all the scenery work. When I bring it back down to the basement it will just slip right in. There will be visible joints that I will need to doctor up and for those I will climb up on top of the benchwork to finish it up.

Now for the scenery area that I am working on right now, which is adjacent to the large mountain. This area is not a liftout section, so the method you are talking about would work fine. However, the styrofoam here is not stacked up, it was installed at an angle that matched the angle of terrain. Its 2" thick.

I have done it both ways and both work well.
One thing I do like about the styrofoam method is that you can shape it and visualize the scene easily. The cardboard method is not quite as easy to make gentle terrain variations in. Especially after you put the hardshell on. As far as the mess, your right, but I keep things cleaned up and its not a big deal. I hate to clean up plaster

Both ways work fine and I have found that as a modeler there is not one best way to do scenery. Each scene requires its own special methods. Hope this helps. I will be posting a few more pics tonight and I will see if I can add one that demonstrates the liftout section.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000