Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 54 ]  [ Total: 57 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  12:55:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trussman

Mark, you are going to wait until I get further along.

Ah Tim, you've set a standard here that's hard to match! I was wondering what happened to you as we haven't seen a posting from you in a while. Those signals look FANTASTIC! Of course, I am waiting until you get them hooked up and working so you can work out the bugs and tell me what NOT to do!

Seriously though, I love those shots. Geesh, as if the signals aren't good enough, I hate to tell you this, but Victor is still stealing your show! Everytime you post pictures, I am in awe over how realistic everything looks. The backdrop really completes the scene and looks so great! I really look foward to every update you post.

Mark

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  06:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All these trackside details you're adding (signals, power poles, etc.) add so much to the layout. It's well worth all the effort and cost that must be going into it.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  08:58:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I looked at this latest set of photos I realized that I'm going to be surprised and disappointed if your layout isn't featured in one of the major magazines or in GMR, Tim. It's just incredible!

Quinn222
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  10:31:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeC

As I looked at this latest set of photos I realized that I'm going to be surprised and disappointed if your layout isn't featured in one of the major magazines or in GMR, Tim. It's just incredible!

It has to be featured. It's one of the very best I have ever seen.

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  12:42:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim,

It's so great to see a full consist passenger train strung out along a long stretch of lonesome, but gorgeous, prairie. the signals are that extra outstanding touch to an already great looking pike.

Stevie O

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  2:34:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone for the nice comments and thanks for tuning in.

Articles....ARTICLES!...who has time for articles. Maybe someday.

I am hopefull to get a couple how to articles published this year. I have never had anything published, but from what I here it is very rewarding.

Stay tune as there are a few scenery photos I hope to share tonight or tomorrow. They will probably not have trains in the them. I find that adding a train creates a real focal point, which is the intention in latter photographs. But for now I would rather show the RR itself without trains and gather anyones suggestions on improvement. So bear with me and eventually I will post some train shots.

Again, all suggestions are welcomed.

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  7:30:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ditto what the others have said Tim!

ETinBH
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  7:51:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim-that is looking so hot!

Elliott

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2007 :  11:38:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with everone else here Tim. You deserve to be published. I've said it before and I'll say it again; your modeling is outstanding!

Mark

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  12:41:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love those signals!! They layout looks great. Are you doing your signal system like Lee Nickolas' Utah Colorado Western? I've operated on his railroad and what a great asset those signals are. His switches are fully interlocked and connect to the CTC board.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  09:38:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ty(Mike) Elliott, Mark and Bill.

Bill, I have never operated on Lee's RR so I am not certain exactly how he handles his signalling. But if he is doing full CTC operations then then we will be close to the same. Let me explain what I am doing, and see if it matches.

There is full interlocking between control points. All signals operate under CTC control except for intermediate signals which are ABS. The RR has double main trackage and both tracks are set up for bi-directional running with interlocking bewtween them. I make use of "call on" features to allow dispatcher overide as required.
To align a route the dispatcher must set all switch and signal levers and then press the encode buttons. The system will check for any discrepancies and then carry out the instructions if all was clear.
There are "lock levers" to allow a turnout to be thrown manually (local control) which would set the corresponding signal indication to Red over red (stop)
There are hot box detectors and slide detectors that are interlocked as well.
I have decided not to add fleeting operations at this time. It requires additional programming and I don't think its worth the bother currently.

I have switches around the layout that will operate the turnouts locally. For the most part they are hidden right behind and under the fascia. This allows me or others to operate trains without a dispatcher. A big time saver if your working on the layout or re-staging things. I control this with one switch at the dispatch panel. In the "on" position the RR runs under local control and in the "off" postion its under Dispatcher control.

I can see I am rambling here, I hope I answered your question.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  10:04:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Here are a few scenery pictures that have never been posted before.

This is echo canyon utah, I still need to do somr work on weathering the ballast and finish up the water but its close.

Here is the moon coming up behind the castle rock mountain. We all need one of these, it can help create that mood with the wife.

This shows part of the sunset scene, and some of the granite facilities. I haven't figure out how to take very good pictures of the sunset backdrop. Its hard to light correctly. It might need to be a panorama picture with multiple photos stiched together.

A blurring shot but I like the overall composition as its shooting over a cut and that is what you would see. It would be cool if I could see the top of a steam engine puffing away.

last shot is some scenery that is taking shape. This is suppose to be another cut but I am not happy yet with the rough form.

Thanks for looking, and as always suggestions are welcomed.

Rick
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, thanks for the eye candy. My only suggestion is to keep doing what your already doing and post many more pictures.

Edited by - Rick on 04/11/2007 11:07:40 AM

nhguy
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  1:39:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit nhguy's Homepage  Send nhguy a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Yes that is basically what Lee is doing also. Lee uses a dispatcher controlled interlocking. That means you have to call the dispatcher and get permission to use the switches on the main line or siding that is interlocked with the signal system. Unless the dispatcher unlocks them, you can't use them even if you have the key. The siding switches not connected to CTC are all controlled locally.

He has a fully functional Union Switch and Signal CTC panel he got out of a tower in Oregon(?) and uses a computer/program to run it. It has all the relays in it so when a route is set up you can hear the relays click to set the turnouts all the way down the line after the command button is pushed.

He's got some photos and info here: http://www.ucwrr.com/

Lee also has a dragging equipment detector that is programmed to go off every 20 train movements or so. You get to pick a card to see if you can proceed or have to set out a defective car. Pretty neat.

Sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun with your CTC system also. Lee's was the first one I operated on and we all had a ball.

Here are some photos I took while there.

This one is the detector. When it is tripped you get a flashing Lunar light on the signal mast that indicates you to stop because you have tripped the detector.

These are some of the mail line signals. I was operating the Rio Grande coal train to the branch line mine.

This is Lee's CTC Panel with computer.

I believe these guys from Salt Lake are coming out here to Colorado to operate sometime this year.

If you get a chance to, come on out for Rocky Ops. Your more than welcome to come. It is usually posted over on the Yahoo Ops sig list. There is a Rocky Ops North and a Rocky Ops South. We alternate layouts each year. We had it this past year. But if your in the Colorado Spring/Pueblo area sometime, just give me a buzz and I try and hook something up.

Bill Shanaman
New Haven RR
Hartford Division
in Colorado.

Edited by - nhguy on 04/11/2007 2:03:03 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2007 :  2:38:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill for the invitation, and who knows, you just might get that call someday.

I have not had the pleasure to run on Lee's RR but a number of the local crew has. They tell me its a great RR and Lee is a wonderful host. Perhaps I will get the chance to meet him and operate on his RR.

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000