Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 53 ]  [ Total: 56 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  6:46:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
Victor did a magnificent job on the backdrops. As with Scott, I always look forward to your next posting and progress.
Peter

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  8:35:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Tim,

That is one of the greatest big beach scenes I've ever seen modeled.

The plastic really looks like a wide expanse of water surrounded by incredible, endless beaches, all under a heavenly sky. Surf's up. Turn up the volume on the Beach Boys...

Stevie O'

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  9:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to put up some pics but apparently there is a problem. Once things are back online I will post them.

Thanks everyone for the comments, I will be sure to pass them along.

Chooch, glad you are enjoying the thread. I enjoy doing the postings as well.

Stevie, I plan on wearing my swim trunks next time I work in this area. Perhaps I could get Julie to wear....

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:23:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I figured out my posting problem...it was me..duh Now that the plast ic is down and cleaned up you can see how it will take shape.

Here is the finish backdrops for the Laramie and Sinclair area. My goal was to get white puffy clouds that looked realistic with a deep Wyoming sky. I wanted very little detail in the foreground as I have learned that to much detail will hurt the depth when taking pictures.
Victor did tell me that the clouds were a challenge, one I thought he did well at IMO. What are your thoughts?

The white balance is off, the sky is much much bluer than these photos.

I hope you can get a feel for what I mean by having to much detail in this photo. If the backdrop had strong details, then the refinery would not draw as much attention and the depth would nto be as great.
The refinery's are Walthers kits and one of my buddies built them to temporary fill the space. Thanks Garry.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  10:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Update on some signals that we have recently installed and detailed. I hope you enjoy.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 03/18/2007 :  11:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, it is difficult to judge from the many pics of your layout, but I have to believe that the overall length of your backdrop is HUGE! As many have said before, his talents are second to none, and his attention to detail is simply amazing. Everything looks simply great, but what really is amazing is the way he gives the illusion of distance with his colors. And the color matching from the backdrop to your foreground scenery is great too. In those last two pics, it is difficult to tell where the layout ends and the backdrop begins. EXCELLENT!

Mark

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  06:21:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I hate you!

KVRailfan
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/19/2007 :  4:10:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit KVRailfan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IMHO I think that Victor has done an absolutely outstanding job on the entire backdrop, I only wish I could paint that well. (I'm sure many here feel the same way!)
The scenery, ground cover and overall finish is fasntastic as well. Like Mark and so many have stated .. Job well done!

Steve

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:09:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Steve and Mark thanks for the nice comments. Mark when it comes to the size, believe me when I say it has gotten way out of hand

Ralph, I love you man!!!!!!!!!!

A few people have asked me to post more pictures of the CTC panel that I built. It just so happens that I am giving a clinic at the end of this month for our regional NMRA convention. It will be the first time for me to give a clinic. My Power point presentation required me to take some photos of the Dispatcher room and panel. I hope you enjoy.

I built the panel from 14 gauge steel, did all the artwork in Autocad.

Left panel

Center Panel

Right panel

Last picture is of the sliding panel that I built to give me access to the panel without having to remove them. This was well worth the effort.

Thanks for looking.

LVN
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:39:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit LVN's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Tim

Was looking at the comments about the colour balance in your cloud scene. I took one of your shots and played with it in photoshop. Is this closer to what you were describing??

If not I will remove it if you like

By the way a great looking dispatcher's panel. That wiring looks like something a guy that works for the phone company would do. Meant as a complement of course

Chris Lyon
http://www.lyonvalleynorthern.blogspot.com

Edited by - LVN on 03/25/2007 10:45:59 PM

C Laskey
Crew Chief

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  10:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim
That is some of the best work that I have ever seen. Neat is not how to describe your
wiring flawless is more like it,thanks for sharing with us.

Carl.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  11:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris the transition or gradient from top to bottom looks more like the real thing. The sky has a nice gradient which helps the clouds to appear closer or more overhead. A least the bigger ones. The blue is still not as deep blue as the real backdrop though. I need to take a few more photos and match it up better.

Thanks for taking the time to edit the photo. It looks much better.

When it comes to the wiring one of the Tuesday night crew helped me wire the panel. We both decided that neatness would help us trouble shoot problems later. Which I can tell you it did.

Chester
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  11:04:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phenomenal Tim!

http://modelingin1-87.blogspot.com/

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 03/25/2007 :  11:10:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Absolutely awesome control paneling Tim. That's more complex looking than the one Homer Simpson operates at Mr Burn's Nuclear Power Plant.

I can't believe just how many of the numerous and various skills associated with this hobby that you have so completely mastered. And your energy seems boundless. You leave a lot of us (me) feeling like total sloths by comparison.

Stevie O'

danpickard
Fireman

Posted - 03/26/2007 :  12:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit danpickard's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Only stumbled across this thread the other day, and spent quite some time reading through it. I'm not really into big mainline runs, but this little layout of yours certainly catches the eye. I have been most impressed with the backdrops...that sunset is a killer piece of work. The transitions into the backdrop are superb. I think what works so well is the "weight" of what you see in the foreground and the background...yours compliment each other really well, neither dominate the scene. As for that wiring effort...I hate wiring, and after looking at yours, I think I hate mine even more!!!

Dan Pickard

http://www.austnarrowgaugeconvention.com/

Edited by - danpickard on 03/26/2007 06:43:45 AM

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.73 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000