Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 90 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  5:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, E-Z Line comes in at least two thicknesses .003 and .006, and at least four different colors. I think a drop of crazy glue will hold it in place on the poles.

Bruce

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  6:18:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
As always ... some amazing work! The trestle is a work of art, all by itself.
Peter

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  9:01:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Bruce, I ordered 2 different sizes in black and the small size in copper color. You guys are making me braver about doing this. Its just not a very easy place to get to. That top pole is at 8' off the ground and 30" in from the fascia. Since the poles are not glued in, I wonder if I could pre-string them and put them back in the holes. At least the ones that are really hard to get to. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks for the glue tip.

Ken & Al,
The water/alcohol thing with the diluted glue seeme to work really well. In some places the sand is 4" deep I used my rubber nose thing and pressed it down in the sand to get glue down in the bottom. It worked really well. I am not sure where all the water and glue went but there was only a couple drips. I really drench it too. We should know tomorrow night if everything worked.
Ken

Peter, I appreciate the kind words. I still have two bridges to install yet, so cross your fingers.

The Tuesday night guys were over and we installed some benchwork for the concrete plant. This is just down from the trestle bridge area.

I wonder what Tim is thinking to do with those pipes and that pink foam....hmmm

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/13/2006 :  9:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim, I can't wait to read the next chapter in the book on your layout...the one entitled "The Concrete Plant"! Hmmm...judging by the speed you model, that plant will be in business when the New Year's Ball reaches the top!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:12:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow Tim, the progress you are making is mind blowing! The trestle looks simply awesome in place. I really like your sand idea, but understand everyone's concerns about glueing it down. I would consider a good soaking of 'wet water' and 50/50 white glue mixture. I'm sure however you do it, it will look great.

Mark

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  09:43:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, Tim, to answer your question, I used Aleene's Tacky Glue to glue my EZ Line to insulators on poles. It holds fine, because the EZ Line is so forgiving. I'm not sure about stringing the wire and then planting the poles, though. You want some "sag" in the wires and if you tried that method, the wires would all be very straight - no sag. Not what you want. You might try starting at the top and working down towards the front? Looking forward to pictures!

csantore
Section Hand

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  6:30:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim, I just recently found this thread and it has been fun for the last couple of days to read through on my free time to see what you have done. I think I would have to agree with everyone else who has made comments here and say that this layout is definitely worthy of being published. Any new updates to the concrete plant yet?

Charles

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  10:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Charles, glad to see you enjoyed the thread and I hope you follow along. The answer to your question is yes, I am making progress but its hard to see, and its on the slow side.

Here is a link to some other photos of the layout if your interested. I post mostly finished scenes in this thread.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11786

Edited by - Tim Kerkhoff on 12/20/2006 10:59:32 PM

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 12/20/2006 :  10:41:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A couple update photos,

The first two photos show that the sand has dried, then I coated it with sculptamold. I also remade the river bank with sculptamold and carved some rock work in as it was setting up.

Once dried, I poured plaster in the river bottom to create a level surface for the water. If you recall it also covered the masontie base of the timber trestle. It all seem to work pretty well.
I am giving it time to dry well before going on.

This shot should help in locating where the concrete plant is going in relationship of the mountain and bridges. Hope it helps.

The masonite fascia has been added and the track work is just starting to get laid out.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  01:16:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, the third photo above really shows that corner off well, and wow, it looks great! Everything is coming together really nicely.

Mark

Bosco5
Crew Chief

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  06:55:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bosco5's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great Progress - the placement of the bridge, the 3D river and the 2D river on the back drop is spectacular - really just fantastic work.

For a second, I thought latest pink foam sections in the corner were going to comprise some form of Mayan or Aztec Pyramid - like the ones in the Yucatan. While a bit novel for your layout, I'm sure you'll do a great job and the completed "Temple of the Sun God" would be a great conversation starter.

On a more serious note, I have really enjoyed this thread and have learned a great deal about scenery construction from it - thanks for taking the time to bring us along.

Mike Hamer
Engineer

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  06:57:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mike Hamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, thanks for posting that "overall" shot. Once the scenery is complete will you be hanging black curtains down below? That's what I did, and combined with the black fascia and valence, the only thing the eyes will see will be your magnificent scenery! Looks fabulous!

Mike Hamer
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
http://www.bostonandmaine.blogspot.ca
http://www.craftsmanstructures.blogspot.ca
http://modelrailroadsivisit.blogspot.ca

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, once again, I'm awe-struck (not to mention envious) by what I see in your photos.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  10:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, great progress and marvelous photos again.

Bruce

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  12:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Once again I have to say that you have an incredible work of artistic engineering going on for you. Every time I see another update I am more and more awed at what you've taken on and how determined and perservering in moving towards its accomplishment. You could well be a city/regional planner.

Stevie O'

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.7 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000