Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 74 ]  [ Total: 76 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tyson Rayles

Premium Member

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  7:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable!!!! The best backdrops I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!1

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  7:56:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, I actually like both so tak eyour pick. The second picture of the bridge is the better view. I imagine that sort of join will always be difficult. How about a few bushes on the left to soften the join? Beautiful work.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  9:06:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all,

Good idea Barry, I will see what I can do. I take it you are talking about putting them next to the road intersecting the backdrop, right?

It is a tough situation with only 14-16" depth. I did curve the wood overpass in hopes that it would help and I like it better than the intersecting at a 90 degree. Good idea, thanks.

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  9:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Tim, it may not need much at all. Just try a small bush or scrub and see what you think.

Marken
Fireman

Posted - 10/18/2006 :  9:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did someone say there's a layout in this thread? I keep on staring at that sun back-drop and didn't notice a layout

Tim, your layout is remarkable

In memory of Mike Chambers

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  01:13:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Tim, everyone else already said it, but it's worth repeating... BEAUTIFUL! That backdrop is unbelievable. Combine that with some fantastic modeling and your layout is definitely one of a kind!

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  09:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Barry, Ken and Mark.

I am very lucky to have a friend like Victor and who enjoys painting the backdrops. But Ken you are right, there is a layout somwhere in that scene and I hope to bring that out shortly.

BTW, Ken there are rumours floating around about you building a layout...hmmm could it be true?

Barry, I will post some pics after I do some shrub/bush planting, I really appreciate the comments.

Mark, It is always nice to hear someone appreciate the progress. If someday I try to publish the layout, I will probably use this section of the RR. I am hoping that when the scenery goes in place the backdrop will just fade in and look right. The sub/cloud scene is something I have seen in my mind for years and now to have it makes me wonder if I over did it.
Don't get me wrong I really like it, but I am only trying to enhance the layout with the backdrop, not create a detailed mural.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/19/2006 :  09:56:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I won't say you over did it at all. It is beautiful, no doubt about it. But from what I can see from the pictures is that you've created a unique piece of artwork. The backdrop is great, and the way the scenery flows from it is beautiful also. They complement each other well.

Mark

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  9:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Not much progress in the basement, but I did manage to add some trees, then I removed soe of them.

First pic is from a week or so ago, there wer just a few trees in the far corner.

2nd photo shows the far bank full of tress and in fall colors. I just couldn't help myself, I had to use some red and orange tress.

Third picture shows I decided to pull the red and orange tress out, and I decided to leave more of an open area in the middle. Will see how that turns out. I just did not feel the 2nd pic look realistic so try again.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 10/28/2006 :  9:43:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
As usual, your scenery looks great. I think that part of the reason the trees in the second photo didn't look as real as the others is that you used solid colors. Trees, when they are changing colors, display a myriad of color - not just all orange or all red. Try blending in some green, brown, red, orange, and yellow and put it on a tree and see what you get. I agree with you that the trees in the 3rd photo look better. Keep up the good work.

Your neighbor to the north...

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  01:27:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim. Looking good, I see you decieded not to make the interstate go around like the proto.
Don't worry I won't , your secrets safe with me.

Mike J

bpate
Fireman

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  01:49:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you have done well Tim. I prefer the last arrangement of tree colours, with the gap, which looks more natural to me.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  08:57:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Add me to the list that like the gap in the trees as well.

The last time I was arranging trees and shrubs on the layout, I asked for Bonnie's advice. An hour into arranging them every way imaginable, I had to remind myself that I did ask for her help.

Bruce

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  10:16:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great looking scene, Tim. I agree with the others about the gap in the trees.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 10/29/2006 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, it looks great! Add me to the growing list who like the gap in the middle. Sometimes less is better.

Mark

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.53 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000