Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 83 ]  [ Total: 87 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  06:43:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, you're blessed to have such talented friends! Victor's work is outstanding - a perfect match to your layout.

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  07:57:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does Victor travel???

Wow! Just terrific.

Bruce

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  10:56:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim, that backdrop is amazing! Very nicely done. I could have sworn it was a photograph on the wall.

Chuck

essodee
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  12:04:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everything's looking real nifty and keen Tim. What a backdrop! Mahrone!

The quality of that painting will be a real spur and inspiration for you to keep your work up to the highest standards.

It would be terrific if you could persuade him to do a tutorial, of some sort, for the rest of us to try and emulate.

Stevie O'

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/19/2006 :  9:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone, I will be sure to let Victor know. I am lucky to have a friend like Victor to help create the overall scene. I know there has been debates over the years about how backdrops can take away from the trains. In my opinion, I think it enhances the feeling of the location your modeling, and makes running trains all the more fun.
One thing I wanted to mention is how many photos Julie and I went through to find ones that we liked. I bet it was 600-700 on the internet photo sites. We finally settled on 3 photos and had Victor take a little from each one to create the sun/cloud scene. All this is a great experience and I would encourage anyone to seek out an artist and give it a try.

Bruce, I am not sure he travels, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did. He really enjoys working on projects like this.

Stevie, I will ask him about a tutorial, but I doubt it would do much good. It really is a colaborative effort, where we try things, change, then I get more photos, more discussions and then apply more paint. There are some areas that he paints, like the sky and clouds that I am certain he could detail out. I will ask and see what he says.

Dreamweaver
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/20/2006 :  12:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Dreamweaver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tim, I can't tell ya how many times I have seen this view going across that state.

WOW!!!!!

Mike J

electrolove
Section Hand

Posted - 09/23/2006 :  03:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit electrolove's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim,

That's some great looking backdrops you have there... I have never seen anything like it in my life, WOW!!! Please let Victor know...

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2006 :  11:49:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys,

Here are a few more, you can see we are making progress, but nothing is finished yet. I thought you might enjoy and update.

Plus in the sun/cloud scene I have the little LED light on this time.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  06:29:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know I sound like a broken record here, but DANG! That is awesome!

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

LVRALPH
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  07:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Tim, how bout sending him out East! I got a crapload of backdrop that would fit his talents!

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  10:29:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey thanks guys, its nice to hear you like it.

However, here is some ballasting I ahve been working on. I tried a new technique for me when it comes to weathering and I woul dlike to hear your thoughts. (good or bad) I used a combination of Dave Frary's method of weathering the ballast and some of my own thoughts on weathering the ties. These tracks are main line tracks and should look well maintained but yet have had a lot of use. The era for the RR is late 50's.
Is it to much weathering, not enough? What about the look of the ballast? I am curious what you think.

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2006 :  10:32:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
OOPs , now how about the pictures.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  07:17:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
Hmmm. Kind of hard to tell, as the two photos posted look different (I'm assuming that it is because of the light). I like the way you modeled the engine grime / drippings down the middle of the track. I think it really makes the ties look good.

However... (there is always a however, isn't there???), while I can't put my finger on it, something about the ballast just doesn't look right to me. I'm thinking that it is perhaps it looks just a little too pristine. I'm sure that the appearance of it will change as the area around it gets scenicked, perhaps with a small bit of grass or a weed or two pops up between the rails, but right now, it just looks too perfect. I hope that I am saying that correctly...

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  09:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Between the backdrop and the scenery, you have a genuine work of art, Tim. This is simply astounding!

The weathering down the center of the tracks looks really good. I especially like the way it looks in the bottom photo.

MarkF
Engineer

Premium Member

Posted - 09/28/2006 :  7:09:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know Tim, everytime I look at pictures you post, my jaw just hits the ground in awe! Those backdrops are simply fantastic! True works of art. You are so lucky to have a talented friend like that.

As for the track work, it looks great to me. I'm not familiar with Dave Frary's specific method, but I am a big fan of his, so whatever it is, I'm sure it's the right way! But seriously, I've learned to use chalks for weathering and I like the way it works out. Your 'drippings' down the center look great. The only advice I might offer, and reluctantly so considering your talent, is on what appears to be the 'rust' bleed off on the sides, which appears to maybe be a little heavy, but it's really hard to tell from those pics. Overall though, I really like it.

Mark

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.58 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000