Railroad Line Forums - Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 56 ]  [ Total: 59 ]  [ Newest Member: dtrocket ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Overland Green River Basin RR.- construction
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Author Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements
Page: of 101

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  05:10:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Jason,

To weather the rural bridge I used black leather dye mixed with alchol. It was a stronger solution 2 tsp per pint of alchol. I apllied it with a brush, some places got 2-3 applications. I then drybrushed it with some light gray paint. It really was easy.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/25/2006 :  12:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have heard and see the Cash Mine is a pretty good representation of the actual mine. It is not exact but it is close enough or you will have to scratchbuild. I am going to buy the kit for my layout. It is based on the mine that sat near downtown Park City. You can see parts of the old mine support structures that have been incorporate into the Marriott condos, pretty neat I think. How much did you see it on sale for? Do they have more that one available? Thanks.

Jason

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  9:39:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A little update on things, the liftout has made it to its final resting place, unbroken. Since then I have begun the blending in process around it. I used sculptamold to fill in around the seams and redo the river banks. Now I have been waiting a couple days for the sculptamold to dry. I worked on getting the base hard shell and fianl contouring completed on the approach scene to the bridges, about 4-5'. Then painted everything an earth color to help visulize the overall scene.

Here is the hole that the liftout sits in.

This picture gives yo an idea of the size of the liftout, Julie was kind of enough to pose behind it, plus let me sit it on the kitchen island.

Here the liftout is in place and the blending in process has started.

I am starting play around with trees as you can see in the background. I just stick them into a piece of styrofoam and move them about. I need a bunch more of them for sure.

[

Next photo is of the river bank and the rivlets that was formed into the sculptamold.

Last photo shows a couple of the sulptamold sandbars that was made for the river.

It's getting closer, little by little.

Cigarguy
Fireman

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  9:50:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, Tim, I guess I didn't realize that the "drop-in" was really that large. That is one huge drop-in. I know what it was like handling the little 3 footer that I made, now I really appreciate your efforts and difficulties moving that little baby. Whew, better you than me! Looks great (as usual!).

Mike
D&B Lumber Co.
"The Best Wood You Ever Saw!"

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/26/2006 :  10:54:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! On another note, I like the way your house is decorated, seriously. Do you have a trackplan of your layout, I want to see how much of the UP route you have modeled. Thanks.

Jason

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  12:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good, Tim. Like Mike said, that drop-in is a Whopper! Your river bed is shaping up nicely, too. Do you plan on using Envirotex for the water?

paulbrockatsf
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  02:34:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ogdentowebercanyon

From what I have heard and see the Cash Mine is a pretty good representation of the actual mine. It is not exact but it is close enough or you will have to scratchbuild. I am going to buy the kit for my layout. It is based on the mine that sat near downtown Park City. You can see parts of the old mine support structures that have been incorporate into the Marriott condos, pretty neat I think. How much did you see it on sale for? Do they have more that one available? Thanks.

Jason
Tim,
I am really enjoying reading about your progress. I really like your work.

I do not want to hijack your thread so I will make this response to Jasonís question quick. Sorry for going off theme for a moment. (This is sort of related to this threads theme.)

Jason,
The Blair Line Cash Mine is on sale at Walthers for $109.98. The regular price in HO scale is $129.95. The Walthers Part # is 184-186.

Here is the link: http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/184-186

I hope this helps.

Paul

Edited by - paulbrockatsf on 08/27/2006 02:35:15 AM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  07:37:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,

Like the guys said, that photo with Julie really gives us the idea of the sized of the drop-in.

The blending process is looking great, as is the river bed.

Bruce

belg
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  10:39:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim, really like the results of your drop in but just hope you don't have to get a hernia every time you take it out. Pat

Tim Kerkhoff
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  11:42:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Tim Kerkhoff a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, that drop in section is about as large as I would want to go. It weighs about 80 pounds and that is to much when you have to lean over benchwork to install it.

Al, Yes I plan on using envirotex, however I need to experiment with it first. I have never used it before and its best to practice first. Any pointers would be appreciated.

The river edges needs more shaping but its getting there. I want to fiddle with the lighting as well to give the mountain more dimension. Its always suprising how moving the lights or directing them will achieve a whole different look.

Jason,

My track plan is drawn in Autocad but it is not really that presentable. One of the these days I will update it and get it posted.

MikeC
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  1:06:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more outstanding scenery work, Tim. I really like the way the river meanders through the scene, and the erosion of the river bank is very convincing.

ogdentowebercanyon
Section Hand

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  3:47:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul,
I cheked at Walthers and they are all sold out for now. I did, however find this one on ebay, that has a picture of the mine built up. This looks like a very nice kit. I am asking the guy if it comes with the Silver King decals becuase I want to model the actual building, signs and all. I am going to model it as it looked in the mid 1940's. Do you know what color it was during the mid 1940's or where I can find some pictures? Are you modeling the Park City are too? Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6034459586&fromMakeTrack=true

Jason

Edited by - ogdentowebercanyon on 08/27/2006 3:48:28 PM

Peterpools
Engineer

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  4:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Peterpools's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tim
What a tremendous thread to follow. It's turning more in to an exceptional tutorial. I'm with the guys about I never realized how large the lift out actually was. Have been following your progress and taking notes as 'we' go.
Thanks for documenting your progress and techniques so thoroughly.
Peter

Bbags
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  5:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tim,
I have to stop reading this thread since everytime I do it makes me want to head to the basement to start on another mountain.

The only problem with that is that I want to get the 12' by 6' section completed and it already has it's mountain.
Then there is Gritty's which I would like to finish before the end of the year.
So I am reading and taking notes of things that I can use when I get back to scenery.

John Bagley
Modeling the Alaska Railroad in HO in Wildwood Georgia.

Tabooma County Rwy
Fireman

Posted - 08/27/2006 :  7:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Tim, when I use Envirotex, the first thing to check is to make sure the river or lake bed is sealed...that stuff has a way of finding the tiniest pinhole! I paint the bottom with craft paints or whatever is handy.

When you mix the two parts, mix very thoroughly...I mix for at least two full minutes. Pour in shallow layers - don't try to pour more than 1/8 or 1/4 inch deep on any one pour.

When it is poured, you probably see many tiny bubbles (there's a song there, isn't there?) The way to get rid of the bubbles is to exhale your breath onto the surface. Don't remember what is actually going on - maybe something about the carbon dioxide in your breath, but anyway, it works like magic. For further away areas, use a tube, like an extension for your vacuum, or similar.

Then, go do something else - let it dry. Don't work nearby creating dust.

To add ripples, use some acrylic gloss medium, and stipple it on the hardened surface.

Some people tint the Envirotex, with either "tint" you can buy, or apparently with Polly S paint. I've not done that myself

I'd make up a test bed first, like a small diorama featuring a lake or river, and try it to get the hang of it. Good luck!

Page: of 101 Previous Topic: Pot Topper: How I use it in scenery construction Topic Next Topic: Electrical Requirements  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Reply to Topic | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.64 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000