Railroad Line Forums - Diesel Shunter Kit build
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 152 ]  [ Total: 153 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 Diesel Shunter Kit build
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Topic Next Topic: MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7
Page: of 6

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile
I have the cab floor installed now. The pics show what I was talking about above much better than the words do

Here's the cab interior. I need to do something about the curved floor. Funny it doesn't look too bad in real life. Nothing that the careful application of some force and some solder won't sort out though

By removing the frames we get the following 2 pieces:

The frames

and the footplate

Sorry about the bad colour balance. I had to take these under artificial light.

That's all for now folks

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 08/31/2005 2:21:53 PM

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  2:20:37 PM  Show Profile
I have the cab floor installed now. The pics show what I was talking about above much better than the words do

Here's the cab interior. I need to do something about the curved floor. Funny it doesn't look too bad in real life. Nothing that the careful application of some force and some solder won't sort out though

By removing the frames we get the following 2 pieces:

The frames

and the footplate

Sorry about the bad colour balance. I had to take these under artificial light.

That's all for now folks

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 08/31/2005 2:21:53 PM

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Keep up the good work Tony, I'm enjoying your progress a lot, these brass kits are trully great.

nalmeida
Fireman

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  3:03:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit nalmeida's Homepage
Keep up the good work Tony, I'm enjoying your progress a lot, these brass kits are trully great.

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Good progress Tony. Any burned fingers yet? If I used your technique my fingers would be covered with bandages by now.

George

George D

Premium Member

Posted - 08/31/2005 :  8:53:16 PM  Show Profile
Good progress Tony. Any burned fingers yet? If I used your technique my fingers would be covered with bandages by now.

George

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile
It's not so bad really George. A solder joint should only take a few seconds to make, and brass doesn't transfer the heat to the fingers too fast. Nickel silver has a slower rate of heat transfer, which is why many scratchbuilders prefer it over brass.

As with any job the right tools used in the right way make the difference. I use coreless solders (m.p 188C and 145C) and phosphoric acid flux. Resin cored solder that you can buy at a hardware store melts too high (typically over 220C) to be very useful in small scale work like this.

Making sure the job is clean is important. The flux helps, but I find that a quick pass of a burnishing brush to clean the work is a greater help.

As to not burning fingers, having a good aim with the iron is essential

Tony

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/01/2005 :  07:41:10 AM  Show Profile
It's not so bad really George. A solder joint should only take a few seconds to make, and brass doesn't transfer the heat to the fingers too fast. Nickel silver has a slower rate of heat transfer, which is why many scratchbuilders prefer it over brass.

As with any job the right tools used in the right way make the difference. I use coreless solders (m.p 188C and 145C) and phosphoric acid flux. Resin cored solder that you can buy at a hardware store melts too high (typically over 220C) to be very useful in small scale work like this.

Making sure the job is clean is important. The flux helps, but I find that a quick pass of a burnishing brush to clean the work is a greater help.

As to not burning fingers, having a good aim with the iron is essential

Tony

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Outstanding! As a former instrument maker and toolmaker I feel safe in saying that as easy as you make this project seem, there is more skill here than meets the eye.

Benz

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  8:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Outstanding! As a former instrument maker and toolmaker I feel safe in saying that as easy as you make this project seem, there is more skill here than meets the eye.

Benz

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  06:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Tony, I had been wondering about this project myself has it found its way to "the shelf"? I agree with Benz that there is alot more to these types of projects than meets the eye. Pat

belg
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  06:58:53 AM  Show Profile
Tony, I had been wondering about this project myself has it found its way to "the shelf"? I agree with Benz that there is alot more to these types of projects than meets the eye. Pat

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Pat,

This project was shelved for a while because work got in the way of modelling. A couple of weeks ago I had my first funeral to take, then I was away in Italy on a missions trip. Tomorrow is our Church prayer and business meeting - always busy - and on Sunday I have 3 services to take. Couple that with two days away later this week and you can understand why progress has been, and probably will continue to be, slow.

I have another problem too. I'm trying to find some information about the layout of the cab interior. I need to know where the seats were positioned, and I could use a picture of the controls too. Those big cab windows mean I need to get this right. You just know that the first person who sees this model in the flesh will have driven one for a living and will be able to tell me everything I've got wrong

I am hoping to make some progress in the near future though. I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 09/27/2005 08:51:11 AM

pastor_t
Crew Chief

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  08:08:34 AM  Show Profile
Pat,

This project was shelved for a while because work got in the way of modelling. A couple of weeks ago I had my first funeral to take, then I was away in Italy on a missions trip. Tomorrow is our Church prayer and business meeting - always busy - and on Sunday I have 3 services to take. Couple that with two days away later this week and you can understand why progress has been, and probably will continue to be, slow.

I have another problem too. I'm trying to find some information about the layout of the cab interior. I need to know where the seats were positioned, and I could use a picture of the controls too. Those big cab windows mean I need to get this right. You just know that the first person who sees this model in the flesh will have driven one for a living and will be able to tell me everything I've got wrong

I am hoping to make some progress in the near future though. I'll keep you posted.

Tony

Edited by - pastor_t on 09/27/2005 08:51:11 AM

Eddie Landreth
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  09:32:07 AM  Show Profile
That's a really nice looking diesel model, Tony. I'm enjoying following your progress on it. I've always been amazed at people who can actually construct a brass model.

Page: of 6 Topic Next Topic: MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000