Railroad Line Forums - The Route of Phoebe Snow
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Erie / Lackawanna Railroad Forum
 The Route of Phoebe Snow
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: New EL Historical & Technical Society Topic Next Topic: DL&W  Ex-Troop Sleepers  

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/09/2005 :  11:50:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
I have collected a bunch of Lackawanna RR's Phoebe Snow ads. Would you care to see them?

I have long thought the ads were older than they are because of the style of Phoebe's dresses. However I've recently read that the campaign started in just 1949. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.

The white dresses were meant to show that their locos burning anthracite were cleaner than their competetors. If you've ever ridden behind a soft-coal burning loco you'll understand the appeal.

Here are the first two ads:

and

-Dave
-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 04/09/2005 11:58:44 PM

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  08:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Dave, in 1949, the Lacawanna began its first streamlined passenger service between Hoboken and Buffalo, and called it the Phoebe Snow. However, the advertising campaign using Phoebe Snow began in 1900 when artist Penrhyn Stanlaus worked with the advertising department at the DL&W. She was used in advertising from then until they stopped using antracite in WWI. She reappeared for a while in WWII, dressed in military garb to advertise the Lacawanna's war efforts.

Dutchman
Administrator

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  08:02:22 AM  Show Profile
Dave, in 1949, the Lacawanna began its first streamlined passenger service between Hoboken and Buffalo, and called it the Phoebe Snow. However, the advertising campaign using Phoebe Snow began in 1900 when artist Penrhyn Stanlaus worked with the advertising department at the DL&W. She was used in advertising from then until they stopped using antracite in WWI. She reappeared for a while in WWII, dressed in military garb to advertise the Lacawanna's war efforts.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Dave...

Feel free to post your ads! I have a couple of original DL&W Phoebe Snow postacrds myself. Let's see what you have!

Russ

Russ

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  09:19:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Dave...

Feel free to post your ads! I have a couple of original DL&W Phoebe Snow postacrds myself. Let's see what you have!

Russ

Russ

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  7:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

...However, the advertising campaign using Phoebe Snow began in 1900 when artist Penrhyn Stanlaus worked with the advertising department at the DL&W. She was used in advertising from then until they stopped using antracite in WWI. She reappeared for a while in WWII, dressed in military garb to advertise the Lacawanna's war efforts.

Bruce-
Do you (or anybody else) know when the Lackawanna began putting the following slogan on their boxcars?

As promised, here are a couple more Phoebe Snow ads:

Just off the top of my head I can think of only two RR mascots-- Phoebe and Chessie. Can you think of others? Of course, there is the Bona Vista Beaver, but you'll have to ask Gerry Leone about that.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 04/11/2005 9:09:35 PM

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  7:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

...However, the advertising campaign using Phoebe Snow began in 1900 when artist Penrhyn Stanlaus worked with the advertising department at the DL&W. She was used in advertising from then until they stopped using antracite in WWI. She reappeared for a while in WWII, dressed in military garb to advertise the Lacawanna's war efforts.

Bruce-
Do you (or anybody else) know when the Lackawanna began putting the following slogan on their boxcars?

As promised, here are a couple more Phoebe Snow ads:

Just off the top of my head I can think of only two RR mascots-- Phoebe and Chessie. Can you think of others? Of course, there is the Bona Vista Beaver, but you'll have to ask Gerry Leone about that.
-Dave

-Dave

Edited by - Thorn Creek and Western on 04/11/2005 9:09:35 PM

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  9:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Dave...

The slogan 'The Route of Phoebe Snow'on the boxcars goes back to about the early '20s from what I can know. It was also part of the lettering on wood cars from this time period, so I would guess it's about as old as the ad campaign, give or take. The other slogan, common to the coal hpper cars, is 'The Road of Anthracite'.

Russ

Russ

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/11/2005 :  9:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
Dave...

The slogan 'The Route of Phoebe Snow'on the boxcars goes back to about the early '20s from what I can know. It was also part of the lettering on wood cars from this time period, so I would guess it's about as old as the ad campaign, give or take. The other slogan, common to the coal hpper cars, is 'The Road of Anthracite'.

Russ

Russ

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Dave,

There are a few more when you think about it. Great Northern had the goat. Susquehanna had "Susie-Q". I'm sure there are others.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  08:10:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
Dave,

There are a few more when you think about it. Great Northern had the goat. Susquehanna had "Susie-Q". I'm sure there are others.

Chuck

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  9:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Dave,

Chuck-
How could I forget the goat?! I LOVE the goat! Especially the older, front-facing one.

I wonder if this guy would count as a mascot?

Russ, thanks for your info.

And now without further ado, here are two more Phoebe Snow ads:

-Dave

-Dave

Thorn Creek and Western
Fireman

Posted - 04/12/2005 :  9:14:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thorn Creek and Western's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by wvrr

Dave,

Chuck-
How could I forget the goat?! I LOVE the goat! Especially the older, front-facing one.

I wonder if this guy would count as a mascot?

Russ, thanks for your info.

And now without further ado, here are two more Phoebe Snow ads:

-Dave

-Dave

Previous Topic: New EL Historical & Technical Society Topic Next Topic: DL&W  Ex-Troop Sleepers  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000