Railroad Line Forums - DL&W Ex-Troop Sleepers
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 116 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: Mark DeSchane ]
 All Forums
 Fallen Flag Railroad Forums
 Erie / Lackawanna Railroad Forum
 DL&W Ex-Troop Sleepers
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: The Route of Phoebe Snow Topic Next Topic: Need Some DL&W Car Info  

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 04/05/2005 :  07:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
I recently posted a question about a DL&W head-end car that showed up in a photo of an Erie consist in one of my books. The information that I received from an expert on both the Erie & DL&W may be of interest to fans and modelers of the Lackawanna as well a head-end equipment hounds like myself. During the WW2, the Pullman Co. built a fleet of troop sleeper cars and kitchen cars for long distance troop transport across the country. After the war, The Government sold these cars off for cheap and railroads snatched them up. They were used for anything from MW service to cabooses to boxcars. The cars that I saw in the photo in Erie Trackside is of two converted troop sleepers painted in the 'Phoebe Snow' maroon stripe-on-grey colors and were used as express boxcars. Here's a link to a photo of one such car used as a carpenter's car. This one still has the windows, but for boxcar uses, the windows would be blanked out and freight car doors added to the sides.

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/pax/dlw3614.jpg

I have an outstanding Cannonball Car Shops troop sleeper model with blanked out windows that I'll use for one of these cars already. Kits are available from Model Railroad Warehouse. Here's the link:

http://mrrwarehouse.com/

Thanks to Dutchman for his help in getting me the info.

Russ

Previous Topic: The Route of Phoebe Snow Topic Next Topic: Need Some DL&W Car Info  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000