Railroad Line Forums - Source of Locomotive Roster Information
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 142 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 Source of Locomotive Roster Information
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7 Topic Next Topic: Reading SD-45s  

PowerEngineer
Engine Wiper

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  11:31:59 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday I posted a thread regarding locomotive numbering on the Atlas forum. Some comments on this thread got me to thinking about
potential data sources for locomotive roster information. So I thought I would take a survey on this forum, since prototype roster
information is of interest to both modelers and railfans.

The question is: What is/are the source(s) you use for locomotive roster information? For fallen flags, do you get it from the historical society? Is this information ever available from an existing railroad's web-site? Are there other web-sites you use? Are there some good reference books out there that provide this information?

Just curious.

PowerEngineer

tankertoad70
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile
For my Great Northern info, I use the 'Four Ways West' books extensively, and have five of the eight that have been published. They are loaded with lotsa great info on any piece of equipment the GN had.

tankertoad70
Fireman

Posted - 03/15/2003 :  11:57:01 AM  Show Profile
For my Great Northern info, I use the 'Four Ways West' books extensively, and have five of the eight that have been published. They are loaded with lotsa great info on any piece of equipment the GN had.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  08:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I use Locomotives of the C&O,The Chessie system site and another site that has rosters of many railroads..I try not to depend to much on books as I have found some over the years to be very misleading.

brakie
Fireman

Premium Member

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  08:25:49 AM  Show Profile
I use Locomotives of the C&O,The Chessie system site and another site that has rosters of many railroads..I try not to depend to much on books as I have found some over the years to be very misleading.

Kenatl
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile
I found a roster for the VGN here.Has other lines too.

http://www.dieselshop.us/

Ken

Kenatl
Engine Wiper

Posted - 04/28/2005 :  7:07:50 PM  Show Profile
I found a roster for the VGN here.Has other lines too.

http://www.dieselshop.us/

Ken

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  02:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
It's been quite a while since I was on the Forums here,but saw this thread and had to chime in.
For general locomotive roster information, back issues of Extra 2200 South are invaluable, especially those from the late 60's to the early 80's.I,also,have Four Ways West books on Great Northern and plan to get ones covering the other BN predecessors.Another source for myself are the BN Motive Power Annuals from the 70's(I have the 1971 and 1977-80 annuals thus far).Diesel Era magazine is also a good source of roster info.The old Railroad magazine use to have a series about locomotives(Trackside in the Diesel Age)and also published rosters.Plus there are numerous books published covering locomotives of specific railroads.And let's not forget the SP Annuals published in the 60's and 70's(in case anyone is interested in SP).And the list goes on and on.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

billb
Engine Wiper

Posted - 05/08/2005 :  02:40:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello,
It's been quite a while since I was on the Forums here,but saw this thread and had to chime in.
For general locomotive roster information, back issues of Extra 2200 South are invaluable, especially those from the late 60's to the early 80's.I,also,have Four Ways West books on Great Northern and plan to get ones covering the other BN predecessors.Another source for myself are the BN Motive Power Annuals from the 70's(I have the 1971 and 1977-80 annuals thus far).Diesel Era magazine is also a good source of roster info.The old Railroad magazine use to have a series about locomotives(Trackside in the Diesel Age)and also published rosters.Plus there are numerous books published covering locomotives of specific railroads.And let's not forget the SP Annuals published in the 60's and 70's(in case anyone is interested in SP).And the list goes on and on.

Have a good one.

Bill Burge
Marion,Iowa

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
This is a good question. Sometimes the best source is more than one source. A historical & technical society is definitely one source for roster info, but don't overlook books written specifically about a particlar road. Books like 'Erie Power' and 'Pennsy Power' give detailed roster information. Some roads have books printed specifically about a single aspect of their motive power like '...Diesel Years' or '...Electric Years', etc. This also extends into books written about certain specific equipment, too, such as lightweight or heavyweight passenger cars, freight cars, etc. There are many modelers who follow the equipment history of their favorite roads, so this is a good site to ask questions concerning a particular railroad's roster.

slimrails

Premium Member

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  1:30:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit slimrails's Homepage
This is a good question. Sometimes the best source is more than one source. A historical & technical society is definitely one source for roster info, but don't overlook books written specifically about a particlar road. Books like 'Erie Power' and 'Pennsy Power' give detailed roster information. Some roads have books printed specifically about a single aspect of their motive power like '...Diesel Years' or '...Electric Years', etc. This also extends into books written about certain specific equipment, too, such as lightweight or heavyweight passenger cars, freight cars, etc. There are many modelers who follow the equipment history of their favorite roads, so this is a good site to ask questions concerning a particular railroad's roster.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Since I model a fallen flag, I've also used the Central of Georgia Historical Society, as well as several books written about the C of G. For my fictitious roster, I'vI simply adopted the numbering practice of the Georgia RR.

leeflan
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  2:15:26 PM  Show Profile
Since I model a fallen flag, I've also used the Central of Georgia Historical Society, as well as several books written about the C of G. For my fictitious roster, I'vI simply adopted the numbering practice of the Georgia RR.

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile
For SP fans the SP diesel loco compendium, vol 1 by Joseph Strapac and the site http://espee.railfan.net/espee.html and also Joel's spcascades.railfan.net, Joel is a engineer for UP and runs over the Cascades here in Oregon. Even if your not an SP fan it's worth the visit...Jerry

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/13/2005 :  7:38:40 PM  Show Profile
For SP fans the SP diesel loco compendium, vol 1 by Joseph Strapac and the site http://espee.railfan.net/espee.html and also Joel's spcascades.railfan.net, Joel is a engineer for UP and runs over the Cascades here in Oregon. Even if your not an SP fan it's worth the visit...Jerry

Previous Topic: MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7 Topic Next Topic: Reading SD-45s  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000