Railroad Line Forums - Member introductions, 12/23/02 to 02/23/05
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 219 ]  [ Total: 220 ]  [ Newest Member: motors ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 Member introductions, 12/23/02 to 02/23/05
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Author Topic Next Topic: Welcome weeduggie
Page: of 48

gidlmat
New Hire

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit gidlmat's Homepage
1) What State or Country and nearest City I live in?

I live in Waverly, IA

2) How long modeling and how I got started?

I've been modelign since the wooden train set I got at about 4 (if that counts). That's 19 years. What got me hooked was 1) A member of my church had a nasement full of S Scale trains and 2) I lived right next to an SP yard in San Jose, CA. I used to hang out at the roundhouse and I was hooked.

3) What lines I model?

Because of the above stated reasons, I've always modeled SP. I have strayed into D&RGW and SF loco's a bit though....

4) years I model?

Okay... supposedly I model present day- but, having a love of George Sellios' style, I model a lot of run down areas.

5) how large my layout is?

Hard to quantify!! It really has a wierd shape!

6) if I use DC, DCC or other?

You're going to laugh at me here.... but I soldered on my leads and have just been working on scenery. I have no power to the layout. Eventually DCC though. Maybe when the rest of the layout is complete.

7) anything else I want to add?

I have a website that chronicles the development of my layout, has MANY F&SM ohotos and a few clinics and such. www.gothamcitysub.com

And- I'm glad to be a part of these forums!

gidlmat
New Hire

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  12:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit gidlmat's Homepage
1) What State or Country and nearest City I live in?

I live in Waverly, IA

2) How long modeling and how I got started?

I've been modelign since the wooden train set I got at about 4 (if that counts). That's 19 years. What got me hooked was 1) A member of my church had a nasement full of S Scale trains and 2) I lived right next to an SP yard in San Jose, CA. I used to hang out at the roundhouse and I was hooked.

3) What lines I model?

Because of the above stated reasons, I've always modeled SP. I have strayed into D&RGW and SF loco's a bit though....

4) years I model?

Okay... supposedly I model present day- but, having a love of George Sellios' style, I model a lot of run down areas.

5) how large my layout is?

Hard to quantify!! It really has a wierd shape!

6) if I use DC, DCC or other?

You're going to laugh at me here.... but I soldered on my leads and have just been working on scenery. I have no power to the layout. Eventually DCC though. Maybe when the rest of the layout is complete.

7) anything else I want to add?

I have a website that chronicles the development of my layout, has MANY F&SM ohotos and a few clinics and such. www.gothamcitysub.com

And- I'm glad to be a part of these forums!

jwmurrayjr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  5:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwmurrayjr's Homepage
Hi y'all! I'm Jim Murray (I think).

1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in
Allen, TX (Dallas area)
2) How long modeling and how we got started
Modeled HO with my son about 20 years ago for about 4 yrs. A 4X8 in his room. I have been reading about MR on and off since. DCC and the great assortment of "affordable" HO stuff drew me back in last year.
3) What lines we model
Sort of DRGS (minning and lumber) but not very prototypical. No narrow ga. Run what I can afford. Layout in progress.
4) years we model
Early 1900's. Might be creeping into the "transitional period".
5) how large our layout is
6' X 17'.
6) if we use DC, DCC or other
DCC
7) anything else you want to add
Having great fun so far. Thanks for all the help!
8) post your picture if you dare
http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/jwmurrayjr/tn/tn_Mom_Dad_small.jpg
Jim and Doris Murray

Jim

jwmurrayjr
Engine Wiper

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  5:37:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit jwmurrayjr's Homepage
Hi y'all! I'm Jim Murray (I think).

Allen, TX (Dallas area)
Modeled HO with my son about 20 years ago for about 4 yrs. A 4X8 in his room. I have been reading about MR on and off since. DCC and the great assortment of "affordable" HO stuff drew me back in last year.
3) What lines we model
Sort of DRGS (minning and lumber) but not very prototypical. No narrow ga. Run what I can afford. Layout in progress.
4) years we model
Early 1900's. Might be creeping into the "transitional period".
6' X 17'.
DCC
7) anything else you want to add
Having great fun so far. Thanks for all the help!
8) post your picture if you dare
http://www.railroadforum.com/upload/jwmurrayjr/tn/tn_Mom_Dad_small.jpg
Jim and Doris Murray

Jim

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I've made several attempts in answering this topic, but each time I've been interrupted. It's about time I got back to it!

I live in northern NJ.

I've had trains since the age of 5 or 6. I received an AHM train set for Christmas. An F-M C-liner was the diesel, plus tank car, gondola, and caboose.

3) What lines we model

I currently model the Lehigh Valley, but also have a freelanced line called the Wyoming Valley. The layout will represent an area around Wilkes-Barre, PA.

4) years we model

Late 50's to mid 60's. Primarily diesels, but I do have a Bachmann Shay prowling about.

It fits in a room that is 14x12 feet. It is HO scale. When it is completed, it will be in the shape of an E.

Currently DC.

Chuck

wvrr
Fireman

Posted - 02/14/2003 :  2:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit wvrr's Homepage
I've made several attempts in answering this topic, but each time I've been interrupted. It's about time I got back to it!

I live in northern NJ.

I've had trains since the age of 5 or 6. I received an AHM train set for Christmas. An F-M C-liner was the diesel, plus tank car, gondola, and caboose.

3) What lines we model

I currently model the Lehigh Valley, but also have a freelanced line called the Wyoming Valley. The layout will represent an area around Wilkes-Barre, PA.

4) years we model

Late 50's to mid 60's. Primarily diesels, but I do have a Bachmann Shay prowling about.

It fits in a room that is 14x12 feet. It is HO scale. When it is completed, it will be in the shape of an E.

Currently DC.

Chuck

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.

1. I live near Topeka, Kansas. Born and raised mostly in Northern N.J.
2. I got started in model railroading with a Lionel train set around the Christmas tree a long long time ago, but have been modeling the last 25 years.
3. I model Conrail in N scale and Colorado & Southern in On30.
4. Time periods are 1976-82 for Conrail and 1920's-30's in On30.
5. Both layouts are 4'X 8' on roll around tables.
6. Both layouts are DC, blocked with manual turnouts.
7. I also model a little bit of Sante Fe and Burlingon in the 1960's.
I belong to 2 model train clubs and a local chapter of NRHS.

Smokestack Jack
Engine Wiper

Posted - 02/15/2003 :  8:12:15 PM  Show Profile
Hello everyone.

1. I live near Topeka, Kansas. Born and raised mostly in Northern N.J.
2. I got started in model railroading with a Lionel train set around the Christmas tree a long long time ago, but have been modeling the last 25 years.
3. I model Conrail in N scale and Colorado & Southern in On30.
4. Time periods are 1976-82 for Conrail and 1920's-30's in On30.
5. Both layouts are 4'X 8' on roll around tables.
6. Both layouts are DC, blocked with manual turnouts.
7. I also model a little bit of Sante Fe and Burlingon in the 1960's.
I belong to 2 model train clubs and a local chapter of NRHS.

Mike R
Section Hand

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  07:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi folks.
I live on the south shore of Georgian Bay, Ontario,about 100 miles NW of Toronto, Canada.

Got started with windup 00 at age 4, in 1947.
Went to electric 00, then Marx 027, then finally to H0 in 1956.

Modeling the fictitious "Great Western RR", a subsidiary of the B & O, using mostly B & O equipment, a little WM.

Period is around 1950-57. My most modern engine is a GP9.
The layout is 16' x 13' and is DC, cab control.

Download Attachment: danmike2002.jpg
31.2 KB

The picture is with my son-in-law Dan, at my table in the Brampton, Ontario train show last October.
regards / Mike

Mike R
Section Hand

Posted - 03/10/2003 :  07:47:51 AM  Show Profile
Hi folks.
I live on the south shore of Georgian Bay, Ontario,about 100 miles NW of Toronto, Canada.

Got started with windup 00 at age 4, in 1947.
Went to electric 00, then Marx 027, then finally to H0 in 1956.

Modeling the fictitious "Great Western RR", a subsidiary of the B & O, using mostly B & O equipment, a little WM.

Period is around 1950-57. My most modern engine is a GP9.
The layout is 16' x 13' and is DC, cab control.

Download Attachment: danmike2002.jpg
31.2 KB

The picture is with my son-in-law Dan, at my table in the Brampton, Ontario train show last October.
regards / Mike

methowjoe
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile
1. I live in a modest two bedroom three bath home that I built myself on 90 acres in the mountains of North Central Washington State... If you think the bathroom to bedroom ratio is off, just wait until you are 58… The nearest town, if you can call it that, is Carlton... Carlton is 40 miles past where God buried his socks and we have only one employee, Nancy, in our Post Office... Carlton sits on the banks of the Methow River, which my place overlooks… methowjoe, get it??? If you were to pin a map of WA on the wall, you would likely put the pin through Carlton... Nancy says hi!!!
2. American Flyer (S two rail tinplate) Train set for Christmas circa 1953... A Lionel standard gauge set, my father bought on sale in Ohio long before I was born, hooked me originally… It mostly just came out at Christmas, but it and the Mopac freight drag that put me to sleep every night as a kid is what I thing caused this life long obsession with trains...
3. Naturalized American maintaining dual citizenship... Texan and American...
4. I never really have kicked the train habit since I slept with the aforementioned Lionel and American Flyer sets in the 50's.. Do you think they put extra nicotine in those sets...
5. 3-0 by 6-8 hollow core door for testing equipment and watching trains run when no one is looking... Big plans for a retired 40 foot SEALAND container...
6. Digitrax Chief with radio throttles...
7. Happily married and retired (until the stock market finishes imploding) with a great daughter, son, daughter in-law, six brothers and sisters, too many nieces and nephews to count and a new granddaughter who is easy to count...
8. No picture posting capability yet...
9. I like most roads west of the Mississippi, which also includes Western Canada... Some of those Mexican railroads don’t look that bad either… I have also been known to fondle y-3s and GG-1s (remember if you traveled west long enough you would see N&W and Pennsy geography eventually)... I still have a few y-3s, but the GG-1s just looked too strange next to some of my Southwestern equipment... Does anyone remember if the Milwaukee had any GG-1s in Montana??? I am pretty sure they did… Two K-4’s were just returned to their home rails via eBay and the USPS… My favorites are: Texas & Pacific, Mopac, SP, AT&SF, SP&S, NP, and GN... Believe it or not, I actually have a plan to integrate most of these roads into the mother of all railroads... I guess UP and BNSF have already sort of done that, but I am talking transition era here… That is probably why I keep gravitating to N scale... You don’t want to know the details, but it involves a lot of hollow core doors, a helix and miles of Atlas code 55 tracks… I have had the pleasure of rail fanning in the Feather River Canyon in California, Raton Pass in New Mexico, West Texas and the Frazier River Canyon in British Colombia…. For those of you who think all of West Texas is flat, think again, it is almost half the size of some of the smaller provinces of western Canada and has mountains similar to Southwestern BC… go figure… I plan to go to Kicking Ass or is it Horse Pass as soon as some of my woosy friends can get off of work… It is just a matter of time before some CN and or CP equipment gets it's nose under my train tent or in the container... Oh what the heck, I bought two containers for just such emergencies... Like most old farts from the Jurassic age of model railroading, I like the so-called transition era... An examination of my train room would lead one to believe that we are still in transition from the USRA days to present... Has anyone done a really good model of “Puffing Billy”??? I focus primarily on Z, N, HO, S, O, and G scale but try to remain open minded... I have been looking into narrow gage in N, O and S... In case you think I lack a clear focus, I would rather model busses than European trains... Don't get me wrong, all trains are basically good and some busses are pretty cool too… In a trip to Austria in the early 90's I saw some of their so-called trains and almost had to be sick... I don't want to be quite so in touch with my feminine side... To all those who I may have offended, I didn't mean it and I am sure that there is some redeeming value in those trolley busses that you call trains... Anyone that I have not offended yet, please watch for me on the forum, I will get to you when I finish installing this decoder… Just kidding... Did I mention that I am from France originally??? Also, for anyone planning to tell my wife how much all this costs; remember that my second hobby is shooting… That is second after model trains and fishing… OK that is second after holding my new grand daughter, modeling/rail-fanning trains and fishing… Did I mention I like camping and canoeing???

methowjoe
New Hire

Posted - 03/11/2003 :  4:16:29 PM  Show Profile
1. I live in a modest two bedroom three bath home that I built myself on 90 acres in the mountains of North Central Washington State... If you think the bathroom to bedroom ratio is off, just wait until you are 58… The nearest town, if you can call it that, is Carlton... Carlton is 40 miles past where God buried his socks and we have only one employee, Nancy, in our Post Office... Carlton sits on the banks of the Methow River, which my place overlooks… methowjoe, get it??? If you were to pin a map of WA on the wall, you would likely put the pin through Carlton... Nancy says hi!!!
2. American Flyer (S two rail tinplate) Train set for Christmas circa 1953... A Lionel standard gauge set, my father bought on sale in Ohio long before I was born, hooked me originally… It mostly just came out at Christmas, but it and the Mopac freight drag that put me to sleep every night as a kid is what I thing caused this life long obsession with trains...
3. Naturalized American maintaining dual citizenship... Texan and American...
4. I never really have kicked the train habit since I slept with the aforementioned Lionel and American Flyer sets in the 50's.. Do you think they put extra nicotine in those sets...
5. 3-0 by 6-8 hollow core door for testing equipment and watching trains run when no one is looking... Big plans for a retired 40 foot SEALAND container...
6. Digitrax Chief with radio throttles...
7. Happily married and retired (until the stock market finishes imploding) with a great daughter, son, daughter in-law, six brothers and sisters, too many nieces and nephews to count and a new granddaughter who is easy to count...
8. No picture posting capability yet...
9. I like most roads west of the Mississippi, which also includes Western Canada... Some of those Mexican railroads don’t look that bad either… I have also been known to fondle y-3s and GG-1s (remember if you traveled west long enough you would see N&W and Pennsy geography eventually)... I still have a few y-3s, but the GG-1s just looked too strange next to some of my Southwestern equipment... Does anyone remember if the Milwaukee had any GG-1s in Montana??? I am pretty sure they did… Two K-4’s were just returned to their home rails via eBay and the USPS… My favorites are: Texas & Pacific, Mopac, SP, AT&SF, SP&S, NP, and GN... Believe it or not, I actually have a plan to integrate most of these roads into the mother of all railroads... I guess UP and BNSF have already sort of done that, but I am talking transition era here… That is probably why I keep gravitating to N scale... You don’t want to know the details, but it involves a lot of hollow core doors, a helix and miles of Atlas code 55 tracks… I have had the pleasure of rail fanning in the Feather River Canyon in California, Raton Pass in New Mexico, West Texas and the Frazier River Canyon in British Colombia…. For those of you who think all of West Texas is flat, think again, it is almost half the size of some of the smaller provinces of western Canada and has mountains similar to Southwestern BC… go figure… I plan to go to Kicking Ass or is it Horse Pass as soon as some of my woosy friends can get off of work… It is just a matter of time before some CN and or CP equipment gets it's nose under my train tent or in the container... Oh what the heck, I bought two containers for just such emergencies... Like most old farts from the Jurassic age of model railroading, I like the so-called transition era... An examination of my train room would lead one to believe that we are still in transition from the USRA days to present... Has anyone done a really good model of “Puffing Billy”??? I focus primarily on Z, N, HO, S, O, and G scale but try to remain open minded... I have been looking into narrow gage in N, O and S... In case you think I lack a clear focus, I would rather model busses than European trains... Don't get me wrong, all trains are basically good and some busses are pretty cool too… In a trip to Austria in the early 90's I saw some of their so-called trains and almost had to be sick... I don't want to be quite so in touch with my feminine side... To all those who I may have offended, I didn't mean it and I am sure that there is some redeeming value in those trolley busses that you call trains... Anyone that I have not offended yet, please watch for me on the forum, I will get to you when I finish installing this decoder… Just kidding... Did I mention that I am from France originally??? Also, for anyone planning to tell my wife how much all this costs; remember that my second hobby is shooting… That is second after model trains and fishing… OK that is second after holding my new grand daughter, modeling/rail-fanning trains and fishing… Did I mention I like camping and canoeing???

FRISCO1522MAN
New Hire

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  01:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit FRISCO1522MAN's Homepage
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: Missouri, Butler, Poplar Bluff
2) How long modeling and how we got started: since 1960 (I was 4)
3) What lines we model: Mo-Pac/Union Pacific
4) years we model: 1980-now
5) how large our layout is: 25x45
6) if we use DC, DCC or other: DC
7) anything else you want to add: I work for Union Pacific
8) post your picture if you dare:

-Zach- "I love the smell of journal grease in the morning!!!" Visit and/or JOIN my website at http://www.msnusers.com/Frisco1522

FRISCO1522MAN
New Hire

Posted - 03/14/2003 :  01:21:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit FRISCO1522MAN's Homepage
1) What State or Country and nearest City we live in: Missouri, Butler, Poplar Bluff
2) How long modeling and how we got started: since 1960 (I was 4)
3) What lines we model: Mo-Pac/Union Pacific
4) years we model: 1980-now
5) how large our layout is: 25x45
6) if we use DC, DCC or other: DC
7) anything else you want to add: I work for Union Pacific
8) post your picture if you dare:

-Zach- "I love the smell of journal grease in the morning!!!" Visit and/or JOIN my website at http://www.msnusers.com/Frisco1522

lazerman
Fireman

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  01:21:59 AM  Show Profile
1}Deltona Fla.20 miles from Daytona500 .org from long island N.Y

2}My dad started when he was in his 20s and got me started in the model train world at age 7 ,always had trains under the xmas tree when we move to Fla from Rocky Point NY he pass on his trains to me and I had collected along the way
most of the trains he had are metal cast ,the oldest now is a 2-8-0 steam loco at 62 years old now but it is very heavy engine it had a broking ground wire so its running again.

3}Getting ready to build my 3rd layout got the walls painted for a background it will be a 10x9x38 when complete ,so i guess I need to take the old layout off line still doing layout plans to make sure of what i want.

4}Im 41 years old

5}layout in the 1950s era love the 50s cars and was still steam and diesel era and I love F-7a
diesels with

6}no theam just my design my friends and family live and run the town.

7}H.O scale

8}My # 1 Railroad system is the New York Central

9}last Train I traveled on was the Fla Mt.Dora /Orlando baldwin bros.2-4-0 steam built in 1928 fully restored sweet ride ,My Girl friend 1st train ride but it broke down in Mt dora so they pulled us back with a 1939 alco switcher engine that was all they could get at short notice ,the Fla East Coast Railroad now the rail raod is shut down,no money to keep it going since 9-11 ,

Lazerman's Railway system 2003

Page: of 48 Topic Next Topic: Welcome weeduggie  
 New Topic |   Topic Locked | 
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.72 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000