Railroad Line Forums - MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 152 ]  [ Total: 152 ]  [ Newest Member: Fred of Medford ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Diesel Shop
 MRC F7 vs. Model Power metal F7
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Author Previous Topic: Diesel Shunter Kit build Topic Next Topic: Source of Locomotive Roster Information  

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  8:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Pro's, con's anybody want to share. I have no experience with either and couldn't find any reviews.

Benz

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:32:32 PM  Show Profile
These decesions almost always come down to personal preferences. Things like how true to prototype, how well it runs, budget and so forth. Therefore this will be just my personal opinion. No experience with either of those exact engines but some experience with a friend who picked up a number of the Model Power metal engines. He was a new modeler struggling to get things to stay on the track and was told to get the heavy metal as they would track better. In my mind this is going the wrong way. If the track is bad fixing the track is the better way to go. I found the Model Power engines to be lacking in the operations area. I would look for the same engine in Athearn for good low cost quality or if a bit more money is available there are a number of other really sweet running F7s out there. Can't say for or against the MRC. If you can give us a little more idea of why you are looking at these particular engines, (cost, roadname, or such)there might be others that could give you some more ideas.

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 09/26/2005 :  11:32:32 PM  Show Profile
These decesions almost always come down to personal preferences. Things like how true to prototype, how well it runs, budget and so forth. Therefore this will be just my personal opinion. No experience with either of those exact engines but some experience with a friend who picked up a number of the Model Power metal engines. He was a new modeler struggling to get things to stay on the track and was told to get the heavy metal as they would track better. In my mind this is going the wrong way. If the track is bad fixing the track is the better way to go. I found the Model Power engines to be lacking in the operations area. I would look for the same engine in Athearn for good low cost quality or if a bit more money is available there are a number of other really sweet running F7s out there. Can't say for or against the MRC. If you can give us a little more idea of why you are looking at these particular engines, (cost, roadname, or such)there might be others that could give you some more ideas.

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Well, concerning the Model Power units I was just kind of curious.
As for the MDC's, they appear to be exceptionally well detailed for the price (the Pennsy units come with the antennas on it), especially when you consider that for under $100 it comes with a factory installed decoder.
I was wondering how well they ran.

Edited by - Brakeman on 09/27/2005 3:15:52 PM

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  3:14:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Well, concerning the Model Power units I was just kind of curious.
As for the MDC's, they appear to be exceptionally well detailed for the price (the Pennsy units come with the antennas on it), especially when you consider that for under $100 it comes with a factory installed decoder.
I was wondering how well they ran.

Edited by - Brakeman on 09/27/2005 3:15:52 PM

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Confusion here, Mr. Brakeman. First post referred to MRC (model Rectifier Corp) much better known for power supplies, etc. Did you mean MDC (Model Die Casting) well known for rolling stock? I don't have direct knowledge of either but you do have me thinking more than I'm used to doing. LOL

MP Rich
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  6:49:57 PM  Show Profile
Confusion here, Mr. Brakeman. First post referred to MRC (model Rectifier Corp) much better known for power supplies, etc. Did you mean MDC (Model Die Casting) well known for rolling stock? I don't have direct knowledge of either but you do have me thinking more than I'm used to doing. LOL

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Sorry, I meant MRC (Model Rectifier).
Here is the link to thier loco page.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/locomotives/index.asp

They look nice on the web page. It's a shame anymore you can't see hardly anything in person before buying. I doubt my LHS would order something on a 50-50 chance that I may or may not buy it.
So I thought I would ask for others opinions, experiences.

Benz

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  9:59:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
Sorry, I meant MRC (Model Rectifier).
Here is the link to thier loco page.

http://www.modelrectifier.com/products/locomotives/index.asp

They look nice on the web page. It's a shame anymore you can't see hardly anything in person before buying. I doubt my LHS would order something on a 50-50 chance that I may or may not buy it.
So I thought I would ask for others opinions, experiences.

Benz

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Benz, did not know MRC was making locos, they look nice and the price is certainly reasonable, May give one a try myself. Thanks for the heads up. Jerry

Jerry M
Fireman

Posted - 09/27/2005 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey Benz, did not know MRC was making locos, they look nice and the price is certainly reasonable, May give one a try myself. Thanks for the heads up. Jerry

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
I seem to recall a review of the MRC F-7, wasn't all that favorable. Heavy on the details type comments. The photo in their color ad didn't help either, as it looked kind of clunky, big blobby truck sideframes or something like that. I'd check one out in person before ordering one.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

railphotog
Fireman

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit railphotog's Homepage
I seem to recall a review of the MRC F-7, wasn't all that favorable. Heavy on the details type comments. The photo in their color ad didn't help either, as it looked kind of clunky, big blobby truck sideframes or something like that. I'd check one out in person before ordering one.

Bob Boudreau
My model railroad photography website:
http://sites.google.com/site/railphotog/

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
I've decided to try an MRC unit with DCC. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Benz

Brakeman
New Hire

Posted - 09/28/2005 :  06:45:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Brakeman's Homepage
I've decided to try an MRC unit with DCC. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Benz

Previous Topic: Diesel Shunter Kit build Topic Next Topic: Source of Locomotive Roster Information  
 New Topic |   New Poll New Poll |   Topic Locked | 
Jump To:
Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 1 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000