Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 142 ]  [ Newest Member: 2109keego ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 SRM Wrisley Papers Western Mill

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GreggW Posted - 08/04/2007 : 7:47:23 PM
Wrisley Papers is one of those kits that lends itself to many possibilities, including this western rendition that Jim Lucas and I teamed up to create. It is another build with simple/subtle changes which give a unique look, while meeting my layouts specific riverside location needs, (nestled in those oak and grass covered hills just outside of town). Changes and enhancements include modifying the masonry wing to angle back from the main mill. There is an added charm in this placement that was lost in the standard linear kit design/layout. The wood extension was pushed back, providing more visual interest and more functional mill operations. A sign was added to the masonry wing.

The track was moved to the side of the main mill, which resulted in a more open feel. This track siding comes from town through the cut in the hills, goes by the mill, then off to the industries across the river, which are still awaiting repairs to the trestle washed out in that late spring flood.

The mill front is now fully visible and provides much interest. Stairs were added to the front dock and a bridge was added to cross the outtake channel.

The main mill side dock and awning was extended and stairs added. There is now much more space for the coal chute and shipping/receiving operations.

A flume and intake piping was added to the back, which will cross the road then connect to the river upstream to bring that ever critical water supply down to the mill. A back door was then added to the main mill building, to give better access to the water intake gates and back work/storage area.

And yes, there is water. Lots of running, falling and foaming water.

Jim and I are very pleased with the results of this fun and challenging project and Wrisley Papers will be a great riverfront industry addition, to complement Thorndike Mills http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16781, Martin Machine http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16704 and others on my layout.

Gregg
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
GreggW Posted - 04/10/2016 : 3:07:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

i sure wish gregg had a website we could visit whenever we felt the need for inspiration. what an incredible modeler! is water effects are the best i've seen anywhere.

I appreciate yours,Brad's and everyone's kind words. I have been very busy lately, enjoying work, travel, family and life in general. No time yet for modeling, but I am getting "the modeling bug", so maybe soon. You will find more modeling examples at the following two links. http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26790
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=22998

Enjoy!!
Gregg
kebmo Posted - 04/10/2016 : 11:46:04 AM
i sure wish gregg had a website we could visit whenever we felt the need for inspiration. what an incredible modeler! is water effects are the best i've seen anywhere.
chooch41 Posted - 04/09/2016 : 4:08:03 PM
I have enjoyed Gregg's build of this kit so much, that I have acquired this kit and plan to build it soon. Gregg, your work is very inspirational. Thank you.

Brad
darrylhuffman Posted - 09/04/2015 : 9:11:45 PM
Gregg,

I have bookmarked all of your threads and hope to see more of your work in the future.

Hope all is well in your life.
hon3_rr Posted - 07/27/2015 : 11:06:02 AM
I to this day still look at these dio's with jaw dropping amazement even though I have spent quite a bit of time studying the work. I still can't believe all of the incredible detail and mastering of colors/hues applied in the creation of these works of art. Every few months on this forum we see something posted which is beyond what most of us dream of creating, and the work displayed in your build threads for sure fits as one of those 'special moments'.
Mike Hamer Posted - 07/27/2015 : 08:43:05 AM
Hi Gregg, how have things been? Has the layout been developing further. We've really missed your marvelous contributions. Hope to hear from you!
chooch41 Posted - 07/26/2015 : 11:33:59 AM
YA!!! What 1GNFAN said.... we miss your work.....

Brad
1gnfan Posted - 07/25/2015 : 5:51:44 PM
Gregg
I hope your able to join in again. i have missed your inspiring work
GreggW Posted - 07/25/2015 : 3:51:37 PM
Thought I would post a note here in recognition of the five year anniversary of this Wrisley build appearing in Model Railroader and eight years since it's creation. I still enjoy looking at this one these many years later. My how time flies.

Gregg
rfmicro Posted - 08/30/2011 : 4:32:13 PM
Push.

Regards,
Trent Mulkern
Mechanicsville, MD
GreggW Posted - 08/24/2010 : 7:13:55 PM
quote:
Originally posted by n6nvr

How did you get the splashing wataer effect? I looked through the thread again and didn't find any comments on that. I intend to have a flume and powerhouse outlet on my module and your flume and outlet effects are great.

Hi. Somewhere back in this thread the water making process was described. The water is Envirotex, enhanced with small additions of white paint and clear silicon, using a fine brush, to give it a little more "flow". The waterfall is clear silicon and white paint applied intermittantly, using two brushes, creating a greater foaming effect. Do this a little at a time, allowing some of the silicon to harden before the next application. Spending sufficient time and attention to the foaming area will create a better effect. Next, apply grasses, filling any/all gaps with the silicon on a brush to improve the realistic look.

The spray effect at the falls is also made with a slow build-up of clear silicone, with occasional touches of white paint between layers. Light reflection does the rest. When working the falls, I approach it the same as weathering with chalk, doing a small amount at a time, with many layers. I go at it with a tube of silicon in one hand, a small brush in the other and some white paint near by, applying small globs of silicon here and there where it looks right, occassionally adding some white paint, then covering the paint with more silicon, creating the bubbling water.

Good luck on your project.

Gregg
GreggW Posted - 08/24/2010 : 7:02:28 PM
Matt and Dave,

Thanks. Yes, it will be nice to get the harbor water poured. I appreciate Dave's reference to Troel's harbor water build examples. I went back for a "refresher" and plan to use some of his techniques. Just need to make sure everything blends together.

Gregg
mabloodhound Posted - 08/21/2010 : 10:09:56 AM
Looks really nice Gregg.
One suggestion I might make is to review the harbor water making on Troels Kirk's thread http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23577&whichpage=86
His method seems so much faster and the realism he achieves is fabulous.
n6nvr Posted - 08/21/2010 : 05:03:38 AM
How did you get the splashing wataer effect? I looked through the thread again and didn't find any comments on that. I intend to have a flume and powerhouse outlet on my module and your flume and outlet effects are great.
Matt Gidley Posted - 08/17/2010 : 4:08:00 PM
Great as always Greg. I can't wait to see the harbor with water.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000