Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 248 ]  [ Total: 253 ]  [ Newest Member: MOONVLL ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 CNR Blackwater division

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 09/20/2020 : 10:47:38 PM
After working on my layout for 15 years, I'm thinking a tearing it down and starting over. I've started to realize the track plan's limitations and I think I can do better.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 12/02/2020 : 10:05:04 PM
I have decided to add a small backdrop around the two sides of the layout. Partly to blend in the two bridges that are close to the edge and also to use as scenery supports. But while I'm waiting to be able to cut the hardboard for the backdrop, I laid out the yard:

The turnouts are tacked down but the flextrack sidings are just there to give me some visual reference. I plan to hand-lay the sidings to give some contrast to the main.

Originally I was going to use the furthest track from the main to be the industry spur, but the third one runs to the one side instead of the middle which will give me more room.

Some of the tire strips I made. It makes this part of hand laying allot easier.
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/29/2020 : 9:05:45 PM
Thanks Michael, Robert and Bernd

I spent a number of hours in the train room yesterday and today. I started with fitting the bridge into the first gap:

I used some 1/4" square basswood to form the abutment/rests for the bridge. The 1X2 is clamped in place to keep the bridge level with the roadbed while everything dries.

Then I started to layout how I wanted the smaller town's yard. At first I wanted three yard tracks, a fourth track heading to an undetermined industry on the far end and a run-around track on that spur. After laying it out I didn't like how much room the run-around track was going to use so I decided to leave it off. I already have the passing siding on the outside to use as a run-around anyway.

After that I figured I should paint the deck before laying track directly on it. I went to the dollar store and picked up several bottles of Water-based Acrylic 'Cashmere Tan' and painted the roadbed of the stamp mill branch, the lower deck and the upper deck to the logging branch. I think it looks allot better now.

When The paint dried overnight I laid the track up to the stamp mill. It's hard to see in this picture but I used Micro-engineering's bridge track in the truss bridge. It still needs a bit of fine tuning but I like the way it looks. The track and bridge is still removable so I won't have to work around them when it comes to scenery.

I ran the track right up to the stamp mill. The track is temporarily laid across where the second bridge will go. I added a turnout for the stamp mill with the second track continuing to the logging area. I haven't figured out the track for that quite yet so it will just stat like this for now.

Next I want to start to put the small town's yard in:

robert goslin Posted - 11/28/2020 : 01:34:41 AM
You're making great progress Glen. You sure are inspiring me to get going on my new layout.

The drop gate came out great. Yes, you will need to isolate it so the trains don't go off a cliff. But shouldn't be that hard.

I'm liking the track arrangements, and how you're solving any issues.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/27/2020 : 10:31:08 AM
Glen,

Looks like its all taking shape.

A runaround track is always useful if it fits.

Mike
Bernd Posted - 11/27/2020 : 08:52:24 AM
Looking real good Glenn. You are kind of inspiring me to lay some track on my quarry project.

Bernd
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/27/2020 : 12:35:02 AM
I made some more progress over the past two days.

I did some research and found an old thread on another forum about the subject. It was suggested in that thread to use #25 sandpaper wrapped around a wood block the taper the roadbed down. The coarsest I could find was #60 but the effect was the same. About 5 minutes and the roadbed had a nice slope to the plywood. I used my mini sander to do any cleanup needed. I also did the same for the branch to the future sawmill on the other side.

I then laid out the turnouts for the yard by the small town. I ran some roadbed about 8-9" out from the main. When it's glue dries I'll taper it down just like the other two. I'm hoping for a three track yard, with an extra track going to a small industry. It would be nice to slip a short run around track in as well. I'll see what kind of space I have.

Since I finished figuring out the track layout, I finished laying the track on the main. I also started to lay the track going up the stamp mill branch.

I laid what I hope was the last of the cork roadbed at the 25 degree crossing. I laid the cork about 9" past the crossing so I can taper it down when the glue dries. The tack mails are just there to hold the cork down as the glue dries.
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/25/2020 : 10:38:28 PM
That's what I'll do. I'm thinking that 6" to drop the 3/16 roadbed down to the plywood would be appropriate.
MarcusF Posted - 11/25/2020 : 09:58:36 AM
+1 on starting after the crossing. Your track that isn't going down is (hopefully) going to be level before and after the crossing, but it'll dip going through, setting you up for possible derailments.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/25/2020 : 09:19:30 AM
Glen,

I share your concern. Id start the downward slope beyond the crossing.

Mike
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/25/2020 : 08:31:56 AM
I started to lay the cork down through the crossing:

Now I'm trying to figure out whether I should start to taper the roadbed down before or after the crossing. I'm concerned that if I include the crossing in the downgrade, it will cause the track to slope to one side as it passes through. Or maybe I'm just over-thinking this.
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/23/2020 : 9:21:17 PM
I'll see what my friend and I come up with.

I Completed a loop around the layout yesterday. If I had wired it I would be running trains already. Instead I started to clean up the larger city section and sort out where to place the track going to the future enginehouse, yard and industrial area.

I'm going with a pair of turnouts off the main, with a crossing so the tracks have plenty of room to swing over to the other side. I placed my station near the drop gate, just before the first turnout. I figure I can put the three-way switch on the drop gate, and have the enginehouse on the other side. My city will be behind the station and crossing with an industrial/ yard on the opposite end.

I plan to make a harbour edge scene at the opposite end from the station, with the yard and industrial area between it and the main. I hope to have a larger yard with more car storage this way than with the old layout.
MarcusF Posted - 11/23/2020 : 08:49:48 AM
Glen,
The simplest way to protect the gate is to power the track in the gate, and have a 1-2' dead section either side of the gate that is powered from the gate when it's raised. That can be done a number of ways - sliding rail joiners from the gate section to the rest of the layout, contacts on each end of the gate, or using micro switches that are open when the gate is open, and closed when the gate is up.
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/23/2020 : 01:04:44 AM
I've had a number of suggestions about the safety of trains when the gate is lowered. I don't want an unfortunate accident with a train taking the proverbial swan-dive but wiring isn't my forte either. I had enlisted the help of a friend with the wiring and we'll come up with something I'm sure. If nothing else I'll see how to cut the power to the layout if the gate is open since I can't see the layout being workable with it down anyway
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 11/22/2020 : 12:59:34 AM
Thanks.

I made some decent progress over the past week.

I laid quite a bit of track, starting with the drop gate.

I had to add a second deadbolt lock to the one side to get just a bit better alignment. After that I ran a couple cars across with no problems.

After that I laid the track down the passing siding, through the 30" radius curve on the other end and through the other turnouts. I've continued to solder the track together around the curves to make sure the rails stay together while curving the flextrack. I haven't laid the other straight mainline track yet as I'm not sure where I'm going to put the turnouts to go into the yard/ industrial sidings/ enginehouse quite yet.

I also cut and installed the upper benchwork that bridges the stamp mill to the logging area. This is the last piece of major benchwork if you don't include the future sawmill addition. I'll probably take my jig saw and contour the front edge so I can use it as a scenery form later.

I did take some time off tracklaying to build a shelf under the benchwork that will hold my NCE command station and power supply. I'm also been using a 7/8" hole saw to drill wiring holes in the benchwork cross members. On my last layout I zip-tied, taped and used various methods for holding my wiring up. This time I want it to look a bit more organized and neater and I think it's better to drill these holes now that later when I'm farther along with wiring.
MarcusF Posted - 11/16/2020 : 1:03:03 PM
Glenn, geography would suggest I haven't had the pleasure. The DoubleHeaders tour is a layout tour in the Kitchener-Waterlook region that's been going on for I'd guess over 30 years or so, and has had up to 60 layouts some years. Your first layout pictures twigged some memories from days gone by, as did your name. I'm getting to the age where everyone I meet looks like someone I've met. ;)
Progress is looking good!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000