Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 209 ]  [ Total: 211 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The New Baltimore & Fair Haven Rwy.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Greg Rich Posted - 09/16/2020 : 7:55:20 PM
This is in response to a request from our friend Hakan.

Due to a scale pandemic along the NB&FH, the wee folk alienated in their shops, have been burning the midnight oil, building away at anything that they can imagine and has not as yet been built.
As a result, we are going to start out showing some of the vessels that now grace the waterfront.
we will start with the smaller ones and work our way up to the big boys.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/26/2020 : 09:32:13 AM

The shipyard has been very busy.
Greg Rich Posted - 11/25/2020 : 4:14:42 PM
Mike,
Thanks, the house I think you are referring to in the picture was indeed scratched. I ran across a B&W photo of it in the rear of an old Mainline Modeler mag advertisement. It has just too much character to pass up.

Phil, thanks for the kind words. We're not quite finished with the boats yet, but I think folks were getting "all boated out". Therefore we took a side track with some different scenery.

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Greg R.

I provided a link to the article that Michael was referring to below.
https://www.nmra.org/sites/default/files/sr202012-gregrichbonus.pdf
Carrie Creek Posted - 11/23/2020 : 8:34:41 PM
Greg, love your fleet of steam ships. Your sailboats have lovely lines, your eye is very good. looking forward for more.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/23/2020 : 5:14:23 PM
Greg,

I saw the photo of your layout in Jim Zinser’s “Division Business Car” in the December NMRA Magazine. Congratulations. It looks great.

The house near the back has caught my interest. Is it scratchbuilt?

Mike
Greg Rich Posted - 11/21/2020 : 3:10:26 PM
Tyson, Hakan, Michael, Larry & Mark,
Thanks for the comments and queries.
In regards to the boat, I enjoy a challenge and this is a challenge to make it come up to the level of detail that I am nursing in my wee little mind. Even when completed, I find myself critiquing little things that should have been done better, what can I say, It's a sickness

Mark, here is a better shot of the brewery that was converted to the Red Top Creamery. Since the rear of the building was going to be "un-viewable" to anyone operating the layout, I drafted the rear walls to do duty where they could be put to work.

Well, the crews at the dry dock have been busy with their tools, cutting wood and hammering iron. You may notice that the brass hand rail stanchions on the aft upper deck are in place, the water tanks have been fabricated and the rest of the decking placed. Also, if you look forward you can catch a glimpse of the gangway from the pilot deck.

Here's a closer look at the stack and air funnels to the engine/ boiler room. The stack was fabricated from styrene shaped around a wooden dowel. The rivet detail was impressed in the styrene sheet prior to assembly. The whistle and blow off were made from brass.
The air funnels were a bit more involved, styrene, washers, a lot of filler putty, a few sanding sticks and a lot of dust.
Ahead of the funnels is the as yet to be finished, coal bunker.

Most of the components are just about complete at this stage of the build, next will be some post launch "nearly finished" shots. Prior to her final fitting out and sea trials.

'Til then,
stay safe

Greg R.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/21/2020 : 1:50:36 PM
The Huron Brave is looking fantastic, Greg!

You're certainly taking it to the next level!.

I really like the kit-bash of the Fountain Brewery in the background, too. The extensions at each end really give it a different feel. I'm working on this kit myself at the moment.

Cheers, Mark.
Larryc Posted - 11/21/2020 : 11:32:29 AM
Greg that boat looks awesome; that has to take a lot of patience besides talent. Your railroad looks really nice and love all the details.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/21/2020 : 08:41:17 AM
Greg,

Thanks for the additional photos of your engine facilities. It’s nicely detailed. I like the coaling station and might adapt your ideas.

Mike
masonamerican Posted - 11/21/2020 : 01:59:02 AM
Wow! What a build Greg! I have trouble keeping up with the forum and today I found this.
I just marvel at your craftsmanship, I wouldn't have dared tackle a wooden block model like that!

Håkan
Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/18/2020 : 08:34:09 AM
Greg Rich Posted - 11/18/2020 : 01:03:26 AM
Thanks for your interest guys.
Scott, thank you, it means a lot.
Mike,
It is not clear in the previous picture, but, that is actually a loco powered coal hoist and sand crane. (not the bird!)

If you look closely, you will see a chain lying near the track that would have been hooked onto the loco at the correct spot. As the loco pulled forward, it would then hoist that 500 lbs of coal up and it could be swung onto the tender. You have to remember, this was way before OSHA.

And, since we are visiting St. Claire, we may as well take a gander at the water tower.

With #33 peaking out of the engine house waiting for a long drink. Josh is working on that #@!+?}**!!$~the steam powered pump AGAIN! That is the pump that moves the water from a well into the tower tanks and until it is fixed, nobody goes anywhere!

Hope you enjoyed our visit to St. Claire.

Greg R.
CNE1899 Posted - 11/17/2020 : 9:39:05 PM
Greg,

Excellent, just love it all!

Scott
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/17/2020 : 7:00:54 PM
Nice!

Is that an ash pit over to the right?

Mike
Greg Rich Posted - 11/17/2020 : 6:38:26 PM
Maybe it's time for an interlude from the boats. After all this is "Railroad Line forums".

Here is a picture of NB&FH #28 pulling a rattling string of boxcars into St. Claire with the skyline of New Baltimore rising up behind her.
Some of you old timers may remember the thread covering her build on this forum several years ago.

Greg R.
Greg Rich Posted - 11/13/2020 : 1:28:24 PM
Wel-l-l-l-l!,
Thanks to all; Mike, Bernd, Carl, Ted, Jim,, Scott, Rob, Bruce, and Jim.

Now it's time to focus on the aft portion of our vessel. This was a bit of a challenge. The block of wood supplied with the kit, looked like . . wait for it . . a block of wood. So, it was decided to try a constuct of sheet styrene for the cabin structure. But, how to attach the styrene cabin to the deck, have it conform with the compound curves fore and aft/port to starboard and make it be robust enough to hold all the hardware to be mounted atop its deck roof?
This took more noodle-ing.
The block of wood was sanded to match the deck profiles rather closely (a couple of tries with the belt sander to get right). Then it was relieved to accept a styrene cabin shell that was constructed to enclose the block. A picture is much better at relaying these instructions than 999 words.

This configuration provides a couple of plus's, a detailed cabin exterior and a solid base for the attachment of large-ish details to be added later.

Next layer, the upper aft deck. The template used to cut the decking under the cabin was used again to cut the upper aft deck.

This deck was covered with canvas and painted on the real boat to be a water proof roof. So for this and the added strength offered; 1/32" plywood was employed as the deck material. Also, a basswood reinforcing strip bent using my jig, was added to the outside lower edge of the plywood.
Next, no pictures taken here, the cabin was removed and the upper deck was taped to the lower deck. With a trip to the drill press, the appropriate number/size holes were drilled for the stanchions that will support our upper deck and for the boat davits. This ensures that the holes will match up as needed and, that they will be vertical when installed. This step avoids A LOT OF HEADACHES!

There were a lot of pieces massaged between that last pic and this one. The stack was constructed, the lifeboats shaped and tweaked and another piece of basswood volunteered to be "warped" in my jig and taped in place. I think you can see how all this hardware will add character and a business to the aft deck.

Here is a long shot with a lot of the various pieces "set" in place for a photo op.
I think the captain is getting itchy feet and is looking forward to grasping the wheel & tooting the whistle of his new command!

Regards,
Greg R.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000