Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 171 ]  [ Total: 175 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 The Steam Shop
 MDC/Roundhouse Shay build

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 04/12/2020 : 4:21:09 PM
Now that I've got some working HOn3 track, I figure I should get busy building a practical HOn3 engine.
A few years ago I found this at a fellow modeller's sale:

It's been started, and it's in HO standard gauge

But it came with a can motor and flywheel and judging from the contents of the box almost all the parts are there. The only things that seem to be missing are the brass wiper parts for the trucks. I'll see what I can do to replace them.

Ever since I bought this kit I have been accumulating the NWSL replacement gears for it and recently I found the HOn3 parts available on Flea-bay. In fact all that is needed to convert on of these are narrow gauge truck gearboxes and shortened axles. I did buy the narrow gauge gearboxes, but I could only get the standard gauge axles. Is it possible to get the measurements (length) of the HOn3 axles from someone who has one of these still in the box? I'm sure there's got to be at least of few of these unbuilt out there.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Philip Posted - 09/15/2020 : 8:59:47 PM
Turned out nice!

Philip
robert goslin Posted - 09/15/2020 : 8:43:08 PM
Glen, outstanding build, and should be a nice addition to your collection.
I've always liked the loco's with the fuel bunkers incorporated into the engine body, such as Porters and Forneys, and this is another favourite.

Great that you have given so much info on this thread. Will certainly be a great reference for anyone attempting a similar build.
I hope you do also do a standard gauge version.

Well done mate.
tct855 Posted - 09/15/2020 : 5:09:30 PM
Glen,
Wow! Another great build pictorial brother. I like this build! Nice innovations here. The finished locomotive looks awesome. Thanx Thom...
railman28 Posted - 05/23/2020 : 10:11:14 PM
Congratulations! You have a fine looking and smooth running addition to the stable.
You've done a super job.

Bob
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 05/23/2020 : 3:17:06 PM
Thanks everyone.
Bernd, the flywheel still seems to be fairly well balanced, despite my best efforts.

I finished off the engine this morning, and took some photos and video.

I added a few more details and a light to medium weathering job. Mostly to tone down some of the brighter decals and give it a working engine look.

I threw some tools from tichy and other makers on the rear bunker, added some oily black around the fuel bunker and sprayed just a bit of polly-s dirt around.

after weathering I ran it one more time on the bench:
https://youtu.be/-6n5NklaFj8

And after I was happy with that I sent it to the layout:

I was also relieved when it handled my hand laid track as well as the 18" radius curve at the end. I had been a bit concerned whether the expandable joints would move smoothly enough to allow the trucks to swivel.
https://youtu.be/VyEB2nooyhU

Now that this one is finished and does seem to run reliably, I wouldn't mine finding a standard gauge version to build as well. I do have a second set of NWSL/improved gears if I do find another for a reasonable price.
Dutchman Posted - 05/22/2020 : 09:33:19 AM
Great job, Glen!
Philip Posted - 05/22/2020 : 09:02:43 AM
Nice work Glen. They are all loud coffee grinders even with the upgrades!

Philip
Michael Hohn Posted - 05/18/2020 : 1:18:15 PM
Excellent work, Glen. It looks nice and sounds like it also runs well.

You’re being very narrow-minded these days.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 05/18/2020 : 12:36:19 PM
It's looking good, it's running good, it's win, win. Great Job
Bernd Posted - 05/18/2020 : 11:49:20 AM
Engine looks great. Nice job.

One question on that flywheel grind. I'm assuming you already ran the engine after grinding the flywheel. Was there any increase in vibration from when you tested it without the grind? If you have a run-out condition I'd be more than happy to turn a new one on the my lathe.

Bernd
desertdrover Posted - 05/18/2020 : 09:59:53 AM
Outstand build Glen, and a very well detailed how-to. Sorry you had the bunker and flywheel mishap, but as you know we always run into something to work around. The fix however seems to be just fine now. Thanks for the journey.
Bill Gill Posted - 05/18/2020 : 09:45:59 AM
Really good work, Glen. Any chance of a short video of it running?
George D Posted - 05/18/2020 : 08:55:40 AM
Looks great, Glen. Like Russ said, I appreciate your taking the time to give us the step-by-step.

George
slimrails Posted - 05/18/2020 : 07:04:12 AM
What a great build, Glen! Thanks for the step-by-step description and it shows just how your excellent craftsmanship transformed this classic loco.
Glen Haasdyk Posted - 05/17/2020 : 9:31:23 PM
Hi Bernd, The MDC Ho and HOn3 shays are exactly the same except for the narrower truck housings. That's the reason the shaft angles are larger. I would figure it would have been the same on the prototype.
Marching onward toward completion. Before I soldered the motor and pickups together, I had to make sure that they were the same polarity as other engines.

So I used my Athearn 'mule' to compare it to. I'd hate to find out later that it was running in reverse to other engines.

With the motor wired in I started to fit the bunker and cab and boiler assemblies in. I discovered that my shimming of the motor produced an undesirable consequence. The flywheel was now coming in contact with the top of the bunker.

I dabbed some red paint on the flywheel to determine where I should grind the bunker. You can't take very much off before you go through the plastic.

I ended up taking a bit off the bunker top and grinding the flywheel down as well. I covered the holes in the motor with some tape before I started grinding. I let the motor tool spin the flywheel a bit while grinding to get an even taper on the flywheel. It took awhile but I eventually got it down to where the bunker can sit flat on the frame without contacting the motor or flywheel. There certainly isn't a lot of room if one was to convert this one to dcc but it would still be doable.

I installed the boiler/cab assembly and added the detail parts. I used two pieces of wire to align the handrail posts. when the glue was dry I slid the wire out and slid the pre-bent handrail in.

And here it is, finished but unweathered. I used some brass headlight castings that looked the part. The bell is off a Bachmann spectrum consolidation.

I had a number casting for the boiler front. I painted the face in red and then sanded it down to get the brass to show on the number.

After adding all the details It was run again and still runs slowly and smoothly. Don't know how that happened!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000