Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 206 ]  [ Total: 207 ]  [ Newest Member: thehawkman ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Vehicle and Non-Rail Transportation Modeling
 Lou's Kitbashing a Livestock trailer truck

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
desertdrover Posted - 04/10/2019 : 2:54:21 PM
In a Railroad Model Craftsman June 2011 issue I found a kitbash by Ron Christensen, where he took a Mini Metals tractor trailer and did a “Kitbashing a stock trailer” article. This inspired me to do a little research on these livestock trucks, and build one for myself.
After some research on the internet I found that Fruehauf was the first to introduce a livestock van in the 1940’s and 50’s. Where the CMW Mini Metals vehicle also used the Fruehauf trailer, it was a no-brainer to use this vehicle, as Ron Christensen did, for my kitbash as well. Picture below shows the kitbash that Ron Christensen built for the magazine article.

Not only was Fruehauf the first to introduce a livestock van, but the early and beautiful rounded nose trailers had reduced jack knifing, and also gave the truck and trailer a greater turning radius. As technology improved the rounded nose trailer became obsolete as customers complained of dead cargo space in the nose, and the rounded nose trailers were eventually abandoned in favor of square nosed trailers of today. Other classic hallmarks of the Fruehauf Trailer are the I-beam axle, torsion bar suspension, self-lubricating brake lines. See below pictures of the Fruehauf trailers.

I’m starting my build with a Classic Metal Works Hennis IH R-190 Tractor/32’ Aerovan Trailer. One difference in my kitbash will be to leave the front panel on each side of the trailer.
If you notice the magazine article truck (first picture) you will see that the slatted sides go from the rear, all the way up to the front. On the prototypes I see they have a panel at the front, on each side, as shown on the two Prototype pictures. The above second prototype picture shows the panel I will be leaving on my version of this kitbash. The following post will start with the trailer shell removal, and views of both my version of the build, and the magazine Arthur’s version. I will be posting both templates of the slatted sides, that way you can build yours in either version.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
desertdrover Posted - 12/19/2019 : 4:53:54 PM
OK Bernd, now I get what you are referring to. Of course the years of retirement has a lot to do with the plenty of time to tinker.
Bernd Posted - 12/19/2019 : 08:23:30 AM
quote:
Originally posted by desertdrover

How's that? On the 13th when you posted it was all painted just waiting for the decals. Yesterday the 17th I finished with decals and posted finished build. That's four days.

The number of projects you turn out in such a short time. They are great looking pieces of work. I have a tough time getting one project to completion because I get drawn into something more interesting.

Bernd
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 7:54:59 PM
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

That is one fine looking rig Louis'..

Thank you Ted!
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 7:53:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Hard to keep up with you Louis. Last time I looked you weren't any where near close to finishing.

It really looks nice. I kind of like the way the decal turned out on the trailer. Makes it look like the tractor has the latest and greatest decal applied to it while the trailer has or had a previous design on it.

Like following your short and fast builds. Keep 'em coming.

Bernd

How's that? On the 13th when you posted it was all painted just waiting for the decals. Yesterday the 17th I finished with decals and posted finished build. That's four days.
quartergauger48 Posted - 12/18/2019 : 7:11:47 PM
That is one fine looking rig Louis'..
Bernd Posted - 12/18/2019 : 5:13:18 PM
Hard to keep up with you Louis. Last time I looked you weren't any where near close to finishing.

It really looks nice. I kind of like the way the decal turned out on the trailer. Makes it look like the tractor has the latest and greatest decal applied to it while the trailer has or had a previous design on it.

Like following your short and fast builds. Keep 'em coming.

Bernd
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 4:41:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

Pretty cool Lou! Your builds are always a tutorial on 'something different' to consider.

Jim

Thanks Jim for your intuition about my type of modeling, and seeing them as tutorials, yes, I am always interested in the unique modeling from the ordinary, and inspired from others and what I see as a different model to build.
I enjoy supplying the information to the members when constructing and completing a model build. Sometimes maybe "long winded" as I've been told, but to me, that's a complete tutorial for someone to follow without confused questions in ones mind. Many Thanks again Jim.
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 4:24:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by slimrails

She's a beauty, Lou.

Thank you Russ for the kind comment!
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 4:22:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Louis, it's nice to see you cross the finish line with this one.
It will be a wonderful new addition to your layout!

Greg Shinnie

As always Greg, thank you for following along with my builds, and inquiring back in June about an update. I needed that kick start, because I was almost going to give up the project. The summer rest gave me that extra push!
desertdrover Posted - 12/18/2019 : 4:19:18 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Wow Louis, that is a great looking truck and trailer. Congratulations are in order.

Rich

Thank you Rich for posting your comments.
BurleyJim Posted - 12/18/2019 : 1:25:30 PM
Pretty cool Lou! Your builds are always a tutorial on 'something different' to consider.

Jim
slimrails Posted - 12/18/2019 : 12:30:50 PM
She's a beauty, Lou.
Ensign Posted - 12/18/2019 : 10:33:32 AM
Louis, it's nice to see you cross the finish line with this one.
It will be a wonderful new addition to your layout!

Greg Shinnie
Pennman Posted - 12/18/2019 : 10:00:29 AM
Wow Louis, that is a great looking truck and trailer. Congratulations are in order.

Rich
desertdrover Posted - 12/17/2019 : 4:05:11 PM
quote:
Originally posted by k9wrangler

Terrific looking truck Lou. Won’t stay clean long I’m afraid.

Thanks Karl for keeping up with things around here. No Bull!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000