Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 128 ]  [ Total: 129 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_dalrymple Posted - 02/25/2011 : 4:22:03 PM
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mark_dalrymple Posted - 09/18/2019 : 3:10:54 PM
Hi Rich.

Yep. It gives the surface some tooth. It was suggested in one of my kits - I think a Campbell kit - And now I use it whenever I feel it is easier to attach the roof to the structure before painting. I hold a card up as I spray to protect from over-spray, but if you do over-spray a little it is no big deal.

Cheers, Mark.
Pennman Posted - 09/18/2019 : 06:27:57 AM
Mark,

Checking in on your progress again. I saw your note on spraying the corrugated roof with dullcoat, ready for painting. Does the use of dullcoat give painting a "bite" to provide greater paint cover ? With minimal chipping from handling the building before placement.
Nice work on the hospital with regards to the roof and installation of all of the windows. That is tedious work for sure. Looking good, keep it up.

Rich
mark_dalrymple Posted - 09/17/2019 : 8:30:14 PM
Hi Mario.

Not much to report. As the back has slowly improved and the weather has gotten better I've been spending most of my time trying to catch up on the gardening/ landscaping.

Most of my modelling time has been spent getting ready for the next stage of the expansion. Its a bit of a chain reaction. I need to move the car to the right side of the second model room in order to be able to build the helix and loops. In order to move the car to the right side of the second room I need to move the zero turn mower to the workshop and the animal feed/ bedding to the shed. This has lead to buying a shed - yet to be assembled and yet to have its slab poured, and putting a large hole in the wall between the workshop and the storage room so that I can move larger items into the storage room to make space for the zero turn mower to park next to the tractor...

More soon - see you in a few days - cheers, Mark.
Mario Rapinett Posted - 09/16/2019 : 6:26:05 PM
Hi Mark..... What's the latest....
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/26/2019 : 3:26:22 PM
Thanks for all the comments!

Jerry - I best hone my skills on these sort of roofs. Ingelltown presents quite a few of this nature, and in NZ corrugated iron was king.

Michael, Bill and David - yes - those windows took some time! Even if I did 8 in the morning and 8 in the evening its still quite a few days to get them all done.

Frank - It would be a funny looking helicopter in 1932. I think by then they could only fly about a 1/2 mile. It sure will be easy to spot, though! I have some fun ideas for some signage.

Carl - thanks. I went through about half a bottle of Aleene's tacky glue. Only once did I put the structure down upside down for the glue to dry. Its pretty thick glue, but it does eventually run! Fortunately not too much mess to clean up.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
Guff Posted - 07/26/2019 : 12:26:21 PM
Very Nice!
Windows look great!
Carl B Posted - 07/26/2019 : 10:01:05 AM
Mark, you get an "A" for effort.
Frank Palmer Posted - 07/26/2019 : 08:55:57 AM
No problem for the helicopters seeing that building. 114, Now that's a load of windows.
Bill Gill Posted - 07/26/2019 : 08:08:46 AM
Wonderful windows.
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/25/2019 : 6:01:54 PM
Fantastic fenestration.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 07/25/2019 : 6:00:54 PM
Mark one hell of a roof. Excellent job!
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/25/2019 : 5:23:49 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks very much for the compliments Frank and Mario. Not too many headaches, Mario - I just had to think like a roofer. I made sure to get the valley flashing on before the iron! The ridge capping is fiddly, but I think it really makes the roof. I'm really not a fan of corrugated iron folded over the ridge longways. Its also something I have never seen in the prototype.

Well, I finally got all 114 windows into my hospital! This was a long reach in for my fat fingers and I had to kind of thread the windows in the most difficult spots through the openings and then maneuver them around and apply 4 drops of CA and then push them into position and hold for a few seconds. I soon discovered that the CA didn't hold much and if I tried to get more than about 8 windows in at a time, I started knocking the fixed ones out in my attempts to get more in. I ended up choosing a wall, or half a wall, and getting 6 or 8 windows tacked in with CA. I then applied liberal amounts of Aleene's tacky glue all the way around the windows on the inside of the building, getting glue right up to the glazing. I used a nozzle from one of my caulking tubes, attached to the bottle with tape, to get better reach into the building inner. I would let these set and then do another lot.

Below are three photos showing the windows glued in. I sprayed the back with dullcote.

This last photo shows the tar paper roofing being applied. I used high tack painters tape.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
Mario Rapinett Posted - 07/24/2019 : 5:38:53 PM
There are only few modellers who would attempt a roof like that...mucho work involved and a few headaches along the way....well done mate
Frank Palmer Posted - 07/17/2019 : 09:18:49 AM
Mark this building has great lines. Nice job on the roof.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/16/2019 : 5:45:29 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for all the comments Bill, Greg, Frank, David, Michael, Russ and Mario!

Bill - yes, lots of raised eyebrows but it was the concrete work that really took the time. I usually pick out a few bricks here and there in different shades but decided I had had enough!

Michael - I looked up lots of images of old hospitals and found a few with very similar colouring. The windows were almost always somewhere between white and cream. I tried not to overthink it.

Mario - you bet! Although this building is taking a big hunk of my modelling time!

Well - on my modelling Thursday afternoons, every second week I go to my friend, Neils house. The hospital was rather large for a travelling project so I have also managed to get the corrugated iron on the house. I have one piece to fix down and I have sprayed it with dullcote ready for painting.

I also found the hospital smoke stack on my other bench and it is now painted and ready for grouting. I'm working on the windows - trying to get at least 10 a day glazed, dullcoted from behind, fixed in place with CA and then glued around the edges with lots of Aleene's tacky glue. I attached a nozzle from one of my caulking tubes to help get into the tight depths of the hospital. Once the tacky glue is set the windows are fixed in very well, but when only attached with four drops of CA they come out with an accidental prod from my fat fingers. I try to work on one face at a time, and get them all firmly affixed before moving on.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000