Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 107 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 Damaged Goods

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bernd Posted - 02/01/2019 : 7:52:48 PM
As many my know that I'm scratch building a TT scale engine house using board by board construction. I'm using North Eastern Scale lumber. I had ordered wood for the framing of the engine house. That arrived in good condition. I later ordered 1" X 12" HO scale boards to sheath the engine house. Today the packaged arrived. I was some what disappointed. When I saw the package I knew there would be a damaged product inside. I was not wrong as the pictures will show. Now where would the blame lie? The vendor for using not some strong mailing product such as a mailing tube or the post office for not being more careful. I didn't get it out of the mail box, my wife did. I can't blame her since you can see from the packaging that there are black marks on it.

So here are the pictures. Notice the crease in the middle and the damage at either end.

One end of the envelope.

The other end.

They (? post office) where nice enough to stamp it as received damage. I don't think NESL would send out a package like this. It had to happen somewhere en-route.

The back side.

The 1" X 12" HO scale lumber.

I'm going to contact North Eastern Scale Lumber and suggest they use a stronger container to ship such fragile product. Perhaps a mail tube would work better. I'd pay more in shipping and handling if that's what it takes to get an un-damaged product. I'm also thinking of going to the post office to find out what can be done to correct the situation. Comments welcome.

Bernd
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Pennman Posted - 04/12/2019 : 05:56:50 AM
It's good to hear from someone who benefited. Perhaps others will still make orders. I would have been Leary to spend the money on broken merchandise.

Rich
deemery Posted - 04/11/2019 : 7:07:40 PM
That's good news all around!

dave
Bernd Posted - 04/11/2019 : 3:42:09 PM
quote:
Originally posted by kebmo

bernd,
i just placed and received an order of 12 16"long o scale 2x10s with northeast scale lumber, and based on your experience i was a bit nervous.
i think they learned from their dealing with you (and likely others) about their packaging methods. here's how my order came today:

and here's what was in it:

taken after i had dumped most of the packing peanuts out.
so thanks for being a sqeaky wheel. we all benefit.

Thanks for posting that Kevin. Good to know that my complaints may have changed their view on packaging their products.

Bernd
kebmo Posted - 04/11/2019 : 2:09:12 PM
bernd,
i just placed and received an order of 12 16"long o scale 2x10s with northeast scale lumber, and based on your experience i was a bit nervous.
i think they learned from their dealing with you (and likely others) about their packaging methods. here's how my order came today:

and here's what was in it:

taken after i had dumped most of the packing peanuts out.
so thanks for being a sqeaky wheel. we all benefit.
Bernd Posted - 02/25/2019 : 8:12:56 PM
Good to know Dave. Perhaps next time I might just order 24" lengths. They don't make mailers that big. At least I don't think they do.

Bernd
mabloodhound Posted - 02/25/2019 : 11:58:47 AM
I've been buying my O scale lumber and siding from NESL for 10 years and always had good service and great quality.
BUT, I but in 24" lengths which are always shipped in a sturdy long box. Their shipping prices are high but I figure that cost into my kit resale pricing.
Korin has always been "customer friendly" with me. I'll still use them for my materials.
Bernd Posted - 02/10/2019 : 2:07:21 PM
quote:

not to correct you, but certified mail can be accepted and signed for by anyone. REGISTERED MAIL requires the signature of the addressee. the carrier has to keep trying to deliver it until the addressee accepts it.

Yes, you are correct. Registered Mail and Certified Mail are different. The postmaster said I would want Certified Mail not Registered Mail. I did put on C/O Mr. Sarno to make sure got it.

From the Small Business Chron: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/difference-between-certified-amp-registered-mail-40089.html

Bernd
kebmo Posted - 02/10/2019 : 1:43:57 PM
not to correct you, but certified mail can be accepted and signed for by anyone. REGISTERED MAIL requires the signature of the addressee. the carrier has to keep trying to deliver it until the addressee accepts it.
Bernd Posted - 02/10/2019 : 11:34:45 AM
Ok I am going on the assumption that the Admins are probably as interested as the rest of you as to the letter. First I'd like to say that this is not a boycott campaign against Northeastern Scale Lumber. I don't want anybody sending them "nasty grams" on my behalf. I just wanted to point out that even if you keep your cool and try to resolve a problem with a vendor/company that the situation may not come out in your favor. I believe I made the mistake of not just asking for the items to be replace or a refund sent. Yes I could use the product since I was going to make smaller pieces, but I still think when you get a damaged product whether from the vendor/company or damaged in shipment some kind of resolution can be found. Also I should have tried to resolve this issue before posting what happened. Unfortunately a member wrote a "nasty gram" to Korin. They figured it would help my misfortune. I believe it probably did not help my situation for a resolve. Lessons learned. So without further ado, here is the letter. I did respond to the letter but can't find that reply.

First my "Certified Mail" letter to Mr. Sarno.

quote:
Dear Mr. Michael A. Sarno,

Iím a recent customer of Northeastern Scale Lumber for modeling. I have made two recent purchases of your wood products. My first order was a pleasure to receive. Customer communication is terrific with letting the customer know that their order was received, that their order was in process and that the order was shipped with tracking number. When I received my first order I was a bit skeptical of the shipping container for such a fragile product as scale lumber, but I received it in fine condition. My second order was not so pleasant to receive. Somewhere after leaving your facility one of the multiple carriers had a failure in their delivery system. When I received the package it had been bent in two in the middle and the fragile lumber I had ordered was broke in two. To me it looked like it had been jammed on a conveyor belt and some object much larger than the envelope had crashed into it thus folding it in two. The package looks like it has rub marks on from a conveyor.

Now the reason for this letter is the service I received after I e-mailed to your info@ desk and was received with a very short note. I have included a copy of the e-mail for your perusal.

The person that sent the return e-mail needs to be asked to treat future customers better than what I received. Iím not looking to have the employee dismissed for their statement. Also I sent along pictures in that e-mail.

Also find a copy of the invoice. That states that I owe you $2.81, which is due with my next order. Find enclosed a check for $2.81 since I donít know if I will be ordering any more products from your company until this issue is resolved.

I can be contacted by e-mail at protolancer(at)kingstonemodelworks(dot)com

Regards,
Bernd

Mr. Sarno's reply.

quote:
From Mike Sarno <mikesarno(at)me(dot)com>

To protolancer(at)kingstonemodelworks(dot)com

Date Sat 10:31 AM

Hi Bernd,

I received your letter regarding your recent orders from NESL. Thank you for the orders, I am sorry your second order was maybe unsuccessful.
We strive on customer service, being responsive and dealing with issues as they arise, I wish all businesses would have this simple concept in business.

I have followed the email chain with regards to the second order, and clearly understand the disconnect of discussion.
As with emails, texts, and letters, sometimes I feel there is miscommunication, where a phone conversation would be so easy to solve issues.
This is a new common practice in personal and business, we canít change it, only embrace it.

We ship hundreds of packages each week around the world, with the hope and prayer they arrive in excellent condition and timely.
We both know how this story goesÖÖ.

Back to you your order,
When korin received your correspondence that your package was crushed upon arrive, you stated the materials were salvaged and no further action was required.
I read the emails and interpreted the same result. Korin simple responded and reacted by saying ď looks a truck ran it overĒ.
I am not sure what additional response would have been required as the materials were usable, short of saying I am sorry the shipping carries damaged the box.
We would have gladly replaced the materials quickly and sent a claim with the carrier for funds.

I donít believe Korin in any way mistreated you or responded inappropriately, I apologize if we did offend you.
It was nobodyís intention.

NESL was founded on service since 1946, we try very hard to make every customer happy. Korin has been with me for over 12 years, she is a valued employee with a vast knowledge
Of the NESL products, from production to shipping.

I am sure a simple phone call between korin and yourself would be enlighten and remove any doubt of customer service, and truly show our culture.

We hope you will continue using and promoting the NESL products.
Feel free to call my personal cell phone with any further questions or concerns.
(phone # redacked)
Mike Sarno
President

After re-reading the letter several times I could come up with a political comment to the way he worded his response. Now I did respond to his letter. I accepted his apology. But I did not agree with how he handled a customer complaint. I told him in response that a different mailing package that could with stand a bit more abuse would be appropriate. I also mentioned that I would have serious thoughts of ever buying from his company again, that it would be the last place I looked if I couldn't find it somewhere else.

I don't anybody going out there and start a boycott campaign. It does nobody any good. There are other suppliers out there that have the same product. My third wood purchase has been from Kappler Scale Lumber. I have not received my order yet.

I hope this post has been a constructive one and that when receiving damaged goods it's best to see what kind of reaction one gets if they keep a cool head in contacting the vendor/company. If not satisfied with customer service, go up the ladder to the top dog and write a letter and send it "Certified Mail" that way you are assured it gets to the person you want to reach and on that letter write: C/O Mr. Name of Person you want it to go to. Worked for me. To bad it didn't favor me. Back to modeling.

Regards,
Bernd
Bernd Posted - 02/09/2019 : 4:59:53 PM
quote:

i would like to see his response too. i am contemplating a lumber order right now. i have ordered lumber from them in the past. various sizes of lumber, and it was packed with small rubber bands around the sticks of each dimension, along with post its identifying the sizes, and backed with a thick piece of cardboard. it always arrived intact.

I'm going to post it to the forum just not yet. I still need to know if the Admins are OK with it. Lets just say I was very disappointed in their response. Part of the blame has to go to one of the carriers because I think it got damaged on their conveyor system and not run over by a vehicle. I will suggest that if you do order and you get a damaged package, tell them it got damaged and you want either a refund or the product replaced. This is what I was told point blank. I made a couple of errors in dealing with this situation. One - I should have tried to resolve it before posting. Second - Occasionally another member gets involved in trying to help you out by also sending them a "nasty gram". That did not do me any favors.

I say buy from them if you've had good service from them. Just beware they don't seem to be very customer friendly. Supplying the model railroad fraternity is not their only customer. I hope this has helped.

Bernd
kebmo Posted - 02/09/2019 : 4:20:12 PM
i would like to see his response too. i am contemplating a lumber order right now. i have ordered lumber from them in the past. various sizes of lumber, and it was packed with small rubber bands around the sticks of each dimension, along with post its identifying the sizes, and backed with a thick piece of cardboard. it always arrived intact.
Bernd Posted - 02/09/2019 : 1:35:40 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I received an e-mail from the president of Northeastern Scale Lumber, Mike Sarno.

I'm contemplating at present how to answer back. My question to Admins. and members is would you like to see the e-mail?

I await an Admins OK or not Ok before I go any further. If not Ok then this issue should get put to rest.

Bernd

Yeah, I would like to see their response, but don't show it to Mr Majestic...

10-4 on it's way.
Pennman Posted - 02/09/2019 : 1:18:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

I received an e-mail from the president of Northeastern Scale Lumber, Mike Sarno.

I'm contemplating at present how to answer back. My question to Admins. and members is would you like to see the e-mail?

I await an Admins OK or not Ok before I go any further. If not Ok then this issue should get put to rest.

Bernd

Yeah, I would like to see their response, but don't show it to Mr Majestic...
Bernd Posted - 02/09/2019 : 12:15:30 PM

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 02/06/2019 : 4:07:53 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mwbpequod

Two of my larger scratchbuilt structures are in a gallery on the Kappler web site, too.

Love that pickle plant. One day I've got to build one. I've got one or two pickle cars and vinegar factory.

Bernd

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000