Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Logging, Mining, & Narrow minded
 Lou’s Logging Railroad Car Barn

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
desertdrover Posted - 12/01/2018 : 3:30:51 PM
In a November/December 2015 Narrow Gauge and Shortline Gazette I found an article about a Railroad Car Barn built by Terry A. Holley in HO scale, and this idea inspired me to build one for myself. Granted, I model the Northwest Logging, and there may not have been one of these in the colder parts of the country like the Pacific Northwest, but as I always say, “it’s my Railroad” and they had one.
Like Terry, I used the information from an edition of Ralph Clement Bryant's Logging, The Principles and General Methods of Operation in the United States, 1913, John Wiley & Sons. Inc. published by the National Model Railroad Association in 2008, using the books, plans and text describing a railroad "car barn" used in logging camps to stable and feed horses. Also, a help to me was the added information Terry used to build his car barn. See Terry’s model picture below. Terry’s HO scale model of the "car barn" shown on his layout with its roofs extended, and is complete with a coral.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
desertdrover Posted - 12/13/2018 : 09:29:06 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Lou,
I just stumbled upon this build, and you have a great structure going here. This is a unique project. Out of the ordinary but very neat.

Rich

Thanks Rich for taking a look and posting your comments. In the logging modeling there is always something out of the ordinary, and such a great inspiration to model. I just can't find enough.
Pennman Posted - 12/12/2018 : 10:26:06 PM
Lou,
I just stumbled upon this build, and you have a great structure going here. This is a unique project. Out of the ordinary but very neat.

Rich
Bernd Posted - 12/12/2018 : 3:42:51 PM
Thank you Louis.

Very much appreciated.

Bernd
desertdrover Posted - 12/12/2018 : 2:05:30 PM
Thanks Greg, yes it has been a Mooving experience, no Bull!
Ensign Posted - 12/12/2018 : 11:22:52 AM
Louis, very clever way of doing the swing up sides of this unique car.
It's really looking great!
Keep mooving along it's wonderful to follow.

Greg Shinnie
desertdrover Posted - 12/12/2018 : 10:58:08 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Louis,

This has been a great thread on building an unusual piece of equipment.

Any chance of getting a close up picture of that bending jig with a corner grab railing in the jig. Was trying to picture how it works. Thanks.

Bernd

Thanks for your comments Bernd, and following along with this build.
It is easier to show you a picture of the jig, and the instructions that go with it. The bottom of the instructions show how the offset grab-irons called ladder guards are formed.

Bernd Posted - 12/12/2018 : 08:40:40 AM
Louis,

This has been a great thread on building an unusual piece of equipment.

Any chance of getting a close up picture of that bending jig with a corner grab railing in the jig. Was trying to picture how it works. Thanks.

Bernd
desertdrover Posted - 12/11/2018 : 8:46:47 PM
Two (2) roof corner grab rails were bent from wire using a neat little jig from Grandt Line. A brake wheel and the wire to be cut to length shown, styrene ladders from Plastruct #90422, and Tichy Train Group 6” square washers with 3” square nut bolt #8082 for the ends of the barn door hinge pins to keep them from coming out of place. Wooden sheet stock will be used for the roof walk.

BurleyJim Posted - 12/10/2018 : 2:41:31 PM
Still think those guys should have started with an old boxcar.{:D] Grab a bottle of RR10 from your Floquil hoarde.

Jim
desertdrover Posted - 12/10/2018 : 12:36:46 PM
All doors have been primed and ready for installation to the barn superstructure. The following pictures show the doors installed, and two pictures showing bay #1 of the doors open for viewing. Picture #5 shows the feed trough that runs the length of the car barn, and the hay basket at the first stall/bay #1. Each bay accepts two (2) horses, Oxen or whatever animal you choose to have for your own Barn Car version. I believe I’m going to be painting my Horse Barn Car, a faded barn red color. Also, a wooden roof walk, ladders at each end of the barn car, brake wheel and corner roof hand rails will be installed. Example in last picture.

desertdrover Posted - 12/09/2018 : 8:53:51 PM
quote:
Originally posted by quartergauger48

I see the'Professor is at it again with another intelligent build. This looks like a very cool looking car Louis. I see you do have your own parts warehouse. Smart move on your part 40 years ago..

Thanks Ted for your comments and posting.
quartergauger48 Posted - 12/09/2018 : 7:30:55 PM
I see the'Professor is at it again with another intelligent build. This looks like a very cool looking car Louis. I see you do have your own parts warehouse. Smart move on your part 40 years ago..
desertdrover Posted - 12/09/2018 : 09:47:02 AM
The drop-down barn doors have been constructed using sheet stock and cut at 10’ widths for the four (4) doors on each side of the car. Braces were added to hold the doors together until the door section is glued onto the hinge system as one piece, then the braces will be cut at the pre-cut door edges. In the picture below, front-side and inner side of the door sections are shown where the door is pre-cut at 10’ widths, and where the braces will be cut after gluing to the hinges to separate the four doors, in the next picture yellow shows the wire hinge pin, red shows the eyebolts that were installed into the roof section, and the black shows the copper tubes that will be the hinges for the barn doors to be glued to.

The below pictures show I used Loctite general purpose 2 part epoxy, and applied it to the top of the doors sections, then attached the door sections to the hinges and clamped the door sections into place against the barn structure while the epoxy dried the door sections to the hinges. Once dried I removed the hinge pin, and took down the door sections to separate the individual doors at the brace that held them temporarily together as one piece. Now, I have eight doors with hinges in their proper placement for operation, going to the paint shop.

desertdrover Posted - 12/08/2018 : 6:49:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by BurleyJim

The model is coming out great but...I'm still trying to understand using a flat car, when a more common 'beater' wooden box car could have been used. Mike commented early on about not having to clean out stalls. The cattle never 'ride' on the flatcar, they're out on the feed box side. The cattleman's only benefit is not trudging through 'the stuff' to load the baskets. With a good set of hip boots, it's not that bad. (Unless you're a city slicker, and in that case don't go to farmersonly.com.) It remains a puzzle.

Jim

No idea why they didn't just use an old box car. The center aisle is not only for storing hay and feed, but also used for storing the portable fencing sections when on the move.
BurleyJim Posted - 12/08/2018 : 6:22:26 PM
The model is coming out great but...I'm still trying to understand using a flat car, when a more common 'beater' wooden box car could have been used. Mike commented early on about not having to clean out stalls. The cattle never 'ride' on the flatcar, they're out on the feed box side. The cattleman's only benefit is not trudging through 'the stuff' to load the baskets. With a good set of hip boots, it's not that bad. (Unless you're a city slicker, and in that case don't go to farmersonly.com.) It remains a puzzle.

Jim

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000