Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 137 ]  [ Total: 137 ]  [ Newest Member: C430 ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Crew Lounge
 One Tough Year...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Marken Posted - 12/01/2018 : 9:57:38 PM
Evening guys,

Just wanted to stop in after a long absence and let you know about the journey I've been on.

On June 26, 2017 I had my annual check-up. The doc walked in the room and said we have a problem. My liver enzymes were highly elevated. I had lost about 15lbs in the last two weeks and wasn't feeling to well.

After two weeks of non stop tests, a biopsy was taken and a stent put in one of the ducts in my pancreas. It showed I had cancer on the head of my pancreas.

I was sent to an oncologist and a treatment schedule was planned. First thing was my surgeon implanted a port in my chest and I began chemo in early August. Damn near killed me. Over 12 weeks I lost over 100lbs, had bouts of dehydration and couldn't hold in any food. Can't remember how many times I got out of bed and passed out on the floor.

Had a PET scan in late October which showed the tumor had shrunk and was no longer well defined. On Oct. 8th I had Whipple surgery and they totally re-plumbed my insides. Was in surgery for a little over 8 hours. Doc told me everything went fine, but he also said it might come back...only worse.

After about a month after surgery, I was finally able to eat again. Another month and I spent another Christmas with the family. Progress was slow, but I felt pretty good. I knew I would never be the same, but some small weigh gains brought some hope. But I also developed a inguinal hernia which is quite common after this type of surgery.

On June 23, 2018 I had a another checkup and it didn't go well. I just didn't feel right and a blood test provided the reason. My tumor marker went from 0 to 120. Normal is 0 - 35. A week later it was 115. A PET scan showed the cancer had returned and it was worse. It was into a couple of lympth nodes and my pancreas lit up. A week later and my marker was 398.

Had a meeting with the doc and he literally gave me a terminal diagnosis. Not what I wanted to hear, but I wasn't about to give up. No way.

My wife and I had the talk and we chose another round of chemo. We both knew what was coming, but damn if we would just let it take it's toll.

The medication cocktail was changed and I had 6 chemo sessions over 8 weeks. Then it would be another PET scan and blood test.

It wasn't easy again. Lost another 27lbs, all my body hair and a lot of muscle mass. But I felt better.

My meeting with the doc after the PET scan had me scared to say the least. He walked into the office and sat down and just looked at me and shook his head with a big smile on his face. The scan showed no signs of cancer and my marker was down to 34. He never imagined my scan would come out this way.

The plan was another blood test in a week and the marker went down to 33. The cancer was gone,
so the plan was to stop the chemo for now to let me heal and get feeling better, then wait another month for the blood test.

Well, I go in this Tuesday for the test. I've gained 8lbs and feel a little stronger. So, hopefully it hasn't come back...yet. I'll know on Friday.

Another Christmas with the family is my wish. Hope it comes true.

For now...I feel like building something. Have to see what's on the shelf Anyone have some Jordan kits for sale?
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Marken Posted - 12/29/2018 : 10:08:06 PM
Thank you everyone.

My last blood test showed the tumor marker is up to 42. That's seven above normal. My next test is Jan 8th so we'll see if it's still going up.

If it is then I'll be on another round of chemo. I hope not...it sucks!!!

Had a great Holiday Season though...that helped.
Ray Dunakin Posted - 12/29/2018 : 12:39:56 AM
Wow, you've certainly been through the wringer! Prayers and best wishes for continued progress.
dbourey Posted - 12/27/2018 : 4:24:29 PM
Happy New Year to be Ken :) Dennis
artvdw Posted - 12/11/2018 : 09:55:45 AM
Wow, you sure have had a long haul, but it looks like you have conquered it. Bravo, for not giving up, even though it was not easy to go through.

My prayers are with you that the cancer stays away permanently.

Merry Christmas to you and your wife.

Art VanDeWater
River Falls, Wisconsin
Jan Kirkwood Posted - 12/06/2018 : 08:59:02 AM
Marken the will to fight is so important, how good that you have it seemingly in spades. Merry Christmas and my prayers also

Jan
C Laskey Posted - 12/05/2018 : 8:34:47 PM
Hi Ken. I went down the cancer road ten years ago lost a lot of weight had 49 radiation treatments and 24 bags of chemo the cancer was head and neck.
I do hope that you will pull through all of this I am still here after 10 years.
Wishing you the best. Carl Laskey
quartergauger48 Posted - 12/04/2018 : 3:46:58 PM
Hey Ken, sounds like you are on the track to happy days again'..I wish you the Merriest Christmas ever, and the new year ahead filled with health and happiest of times'.
Rusty Stumps Posted - 12/04/2018 : 08:07:46 AM
Ken keep up the fight. Glad to hear you've done so well though it all. Prayer are with you all around.
Take care of yourself.
Chuck Doan Posted - 12/03/2018 : 11:40:24 PM
Ken, I wish you the very best. You have come a long way.

Chuck
Grubes Posted - 12/03/2018 : 8:23:07 PM
Please add my wishes and hopes for your future Iím sure youíll be railroading with us for years to come.

Dave
Marken Posted - 12/03/2018 : 3:11:49 PM
I want to thank you all for the offer's for the Jordan kits. There is an explanation for this.

I was give 6 - 8 months to live when the doc gave me the diagnosis. Your mind starts to digest what you've just been told and after that you start to think about all the stuff you've acquired over the years.

There was things my wife and family didn't have any idea of what to do with. The main thing was my closet full of kits, details, unfinished stuff and lot's of Jordan kits.

Didn't want to have them go in the trash so I got a hold of a fellow forum member who I have admired over the years and consider him a good friend. I sent him a note explaining what was going on and asked if he was interested in the vehicle kits I had.

He said he was, so I boxed them up and sent them out to him. I knew they would be put to good use and appreciated by him. It's a decision I've never second guessed.

So, if the offers still stand, I much appreciate them. If not, I totally understand.

Just wanted to let everyone know why I asked for Jordan's.

Ken
Pennman Posted - 12/03/2018 : 06:31:19 AM
What a journey you have been on and hopefully nothing but a great outcome. You will be in our prayers and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with many more to come.

Please pm me your address as well.

Rich
ocalicreek Posted - 12/02/2018 : 9:27:12 PM
I am absolutely blown away by the love and support of this forum. Let me add my own encouragement - NEVER, NEVER GIVE UP!! Keep fighting. You can do this. Another Christmas, then another, and soon cancer will be a thing of the past.

Just a question - why, oh why would you choose a Jordan kit? Are you a glutton for punishment? Or do you have some strange fascination with them?

Galen
Marken Posted - 12/02/2018 : 7:58:38 PM
Thank you everyone for your kind words of support. You can't realize how much it means to me.

Philip Posted - 12/02/2018 : 7:04:24 PM
Merry Christmas Marken! Overwhelming fortitude!

God Bless you!

Philip

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000