Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 103 ]  [ Newest Member: john.l.schooff@gmail.com ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Changing to HO Scale

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
slimrails Posted - 11/14/2018 : 6:57:33 PM
No, I haven't left the hobby. My Sn3 layout work came to a grinding halt when I found myself in a corner. Sn3 brass steam was out of the question because of cost so, as an alternative, I planned to build a couple of Sn3 electric locos with pantographs to run under catenary. All of the hand-laid track and and custom turnouts were DCC-ready and all set to go. The locos were to be DCC equipped and run on track power. Well, that would require getting motorized trucks for scratchbuilding the locos and that's where the problems started.

I searched for Sn3 motorized trucks from all of the known manufacturers like Hollywood Foundry, NWSL, the distributors of the Bull Ant motorized trucks etc. and found that no one makes them in Sn3 either r-t-r or custom any longer! I'm not that skilled enough to fabricate my own, although I researched the possibility, and that ended the layout. I ripped up the track and wiring, saving the Tortoise motors and as much useable wire and other parts as I could.

I've decided to come back home to HO once more. The new layout will be a mythical freight car transfer yard between the DL&W and the Erie located in Paterson, NJ circa 1950. I already have diesels and rolling stock built or bought over the years that are era correct and now I'm ready to start funding the hand-laid track and turnouts after the holidays. I'll post the track plan soon and I'll keep members updated on the progress.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
slimrails Posted - 11/30/2018 : 4:35:16 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

Russ, "Johnny & Hanges" still exists in name at a new location on Maple Ave. in Fair Lawn. Same name, same sauce, but the dogs still taste somehow different. Still, a 'must stop' when we go back to north Jersey to visit.

Hey Bruce, Johnny & Hanges was part of my life growing up. My father would bring home hot dogs and fries after he got off the train from working second shift and share them with me. I knew of the new location in Fairlawn, but never went there. Always remember to get them"All the Way"!
Dutchman Posted - 11/30/2018 : 09:04:47 AM
Russ,

"Johnny & Hanges" still exists in name at a new location on Maple Ave. in Fair Lawn. Same name, same sauce, but the dogs still taste somehow different. Still, a 'must stop' when we go back to north Jersey to visit.
jbvb Posted - 11/29/2018 : 10:19:56 PM
14" is enough for most HO end-cab switchers plus a 40' car. Might fit an RS-3 or a Geep too.
slimrails Posted - 11/29/2018 : 6:16:07 PM
I followed up on the suggestions made about moving the diesel house's turnouts around to provide more length to the inbound yard track. It certainly did add more length for my four-axle diesels and an RS3 that I'll get in the future.

slimrails Posted - 11/29/2018 : 6:10:07 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

I also like the way you have established 'location' by naming the industry the "Silk City" Textile Co.- at least to us old Patersonians.

Thanks, Bruce. I wanted to get some "Paterson" into the scene. Also, I plan to have a hot dog joint named in tribute to the famous "Johnny & Hanges" that used to be right at the foot of River Street.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/29/2018 : 09:34:03 AM
Thats a good suggestion. In fact, if you could shift the turnouts for the runaround to the right and further increase the length of the tail track to accommodate both loco and car, you could supply sand to the diesel facility in a covered hopper.

Mike
Dutchman Posted - 11/29/2018 : 07:48:51 AM
Russ,

I like James' suggestion, too.

I also like the way you have established 'location' by naming the industry the "Silk City" Textile Co.- at least to us old Patersonians.
David J Buchholz Posted - 11/28/2018 : 8:26:04 PM
I think jbvb has a good point. If you let the upper engine house track go in a straight line into the faculty, you can have the lower track drop down with a right hand turnout. That simple change would indeed lengthen the tailing track by a few inches, which might come in real handy operationally. Might also open that lower corner for a little detail.
jbvb Posted - 11/28/2018 : 8:14:09 PM
I think inverting the turnout between diesel house track 1 and 2 might work to lengthen the tail track
behind the diesel house switch on the main line. Above, it looks like it will handle a 4-axle road unit but
with little extra room.
slimrails Posted - 11/28/2018 : 6:10:44 PM
Following Mike's suggestion, I moved the diesel house on to the main inbound track and got it out of the "weeds". This allowed me to create a small two-track yard next to the textile factory.

slimrails Posted - 11/23/2018 : 11:14:33 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Russ,

Nice. It will keep operators busy.

A change Id be inclined to make is to move the turnout for acces to the diesel barn to the left of the runaround. That frees up the track in the lower right for industry spots.

Mike

I think you're right, Mike. The diesel house does look like it's out of place. I think that I can turn it around so that it has direct access to the main tracks. Good suggestion.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/23/2018 : 01:59:08 AM
Russ,

Nice. It will keep operators busy.

A change Id be inclined to make is to move the turnout for acces to the diesel barn to the left of the runaround. That frees up the track in the lower right for industry spots.

Mike
slimrails Posted - 11/22/2018 : 4:48:27 PM
I don't have the room to expand any further, Mike, so the "To" designation is just the direction in which the shown yard leads go or, in this case, don't go.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/22/2018 : 08:40:33 AM
Where it says to east and west yards will they be removable staging yards or actually modeled Russ?
jbvb Posted - 11/21/2018 : 9:10:23 PM
That looks better. One thing to consider is that a runaround's two tail tracks don't have to be equal lengths.
Sometimes it can fit an operating pattern better if one tail track is long and the other can hold only an engine
and one car or caboose. Sketch out the moves you'd be making for the traffic you describe (you can make it into
a switching problem on paper, like the old magazine articles if you want) and see if what you have is efficient.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.21 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000