Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 162 ]  [ Total: 162 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Shop Talk
 Rolling Stock: the Car Shops
 NMRA AP Cars Certificate "Support" Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dutchman Posted - 02/01/2009 : 6:33:38 PM
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

The Master Builder – Cars category requires the modeler to turn his/her attention to rolling stock. To earn the certificate, the modeler must build eight pieces of highly detailed rolling stock. This rolling stock must be able to ‘operate’ on the rails. The eight cars must represent four different ‘types’ of cars, at least one of which must be a passenger car. Of the eight, four of the cars must be scratchbuilt, and four must earn at least 87.5 points when evaluated against specific NMRA standards.

More information on the Master Builder – Cars category can be found at this link: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_cars.html

This is an area in which I haven’t done much work yet. However, I want to turn my attention to this one next. I know that Don (AVRR-PA) is also about to begin work in this area. Anyone else wanting to try their hands at this category, perhaps we can ‘work together’ through the forum.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/09/2019 : 12:44:43 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-SVL

Several days before you posted your reply to my inquiry I found on-line a wonderful square-on photo of the MP 1112 car. I've extracted 20 measurements from that photo and now have a very good HO-scale CAD drawing of the side of the car.

Excellent. These cars were rare but make interesting models.

Mike
Joe-SVL Posted - 11/09/2019 : 11:03:15 AM
Mike,

Several days before you posted your reply to my inquiry I found on-line a wonderful square-on photo of the MP 1112 car. I've extracted 20 measurements from that photo and now have a very good HO-scale CAD drawing of the side of the car.

thanks

Joe in Orlando
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/09/2019 : 10:02:04 AM
Joe,

Honestly, I don’t know. This would have been a pretty old-fashioned car by the 40’s or 50’s so it would have reflected earlier practice, which would include what you have in mind.

You might want to do something like what was done for the MP car that I linked to above. In fact, I think it would be a good example to follow in proportions and details.

Mike

Joe-SVL Posted - 11/09/2019 : 09:16:10 AM
Mike,
Thanks for the link describing how a modeler modified a LaBelle kit to create a Drovers caboose. I had skimmed that article earlier but will now go back and study it in detail. In my skimming one idea popped out at me, namely that the modeler installed a tar paper roof. Was that a common roof covering in the 1940s - 1960-s?

Joe in Orlando
mwbpequod Posted - 11/07/2019 : 10:08:24 AM
quote:

Interesting approach. Were your cars recently judged or were they judges a while ago. In my newness at this scratch building and scoring activity I thought that the judges gave a good amount of conformity and detail points from the associated matrices for a car whose documentation packages included detailed drawings/plans, pictures, research, etc. information.

Oh, I regularly do not the best in the area of Conformity, but I make it all up with high scores in the other 4 categories to get Merit awards. And, I generally make 15+ points in Conformity since I can present a pretty solid argument of building to prototypical practice and justify the designs and operations of most cars I build.

quote:
Did you detail the inside of your drover caboose and if so did you make or purchase the items you placed inside both the drover's compartment and the conductor's compartment?

I think I actually did do that for one of the cars - I recall actually building 3. Might have been the 3rd one that I put an interior into although I really dislike doing that since to appreciate that you need to make the roof removable and then getting and keeping a good fit there is very difficult to maintain.
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/04/2019 : 7:59:01 PM
AMB makes a model for a Missouri Pacific drovers caboose, actually two different designs. You can check it out here:
http://www.laserkit.com/laserkit.htm

An article describing the kits states that they were manufactured from drawings and photos in the publication of a Missouri Pacific historical group: http://www.mopac.org/modeling/60-caboose

Mike
BurleyJim Posted - 11/04/2019 : 7:55:51 PM
quote:

Interesting approach. Were your cars recently judged or were they judges a while ago. In my newness at this scratch building and scoring activity I thought that the judges gave a good amount of conformity and detail points from the associated matrices for a car whose documentation packages included detailed drawings/plans, pictures, research, etc. information.

Did you detail the inside of your drover caboose and if so did you make or purchase the items you placed inside both the drover's compartment and the conductor's compartment?

Joe in Orlando

Joe, check your PM inbox. I sent you one about 2 days ago.

Jim
Michael Hohn Posted - 11/04/2019 : 7:46:37 PM
Joe,

A drovers caboose is not much more than a lengthened caboose. You could take plans for a regular caboose for height and width dimensions and then make it longer by doing something along the lines of what Martin describes, using the dimensions of a window.

Here’s a description of how one modeler modified a LaBelle kit to build a drovers caboose:

https://cwrailman.com/Drover%20Caboose/Drovers%20Caboose1.htm

Regarding conformity, your model can conform to an actual prototype or if freelance it can conform to standard practice.

Mike
Joe-SVL Posted - 11/04/2019 : 5:17:34 PM

Joe in Orlando
mwbpequod Posted - 11/03/2019 : 7:33:20 PM
quote:

Beautiful work on your Drover cabooses. Your comment that you built the cars "w/o any plans and just adopted picture".

Thanks!

quote:
Does that mean that you took some measurements from the photo and made you own good judgments wrt length and height of the car and size of the windows, etc?

No. Much more basic dimensional measurement to start with - width of the floor based upon the body bolster for the trucks. Built the floors first and that defines the width of the car everywhere; castings for steps set out the platform size requirements. Basic windows and doors set the height measurement and then effectively also the length of the car. Thickness of sides and ends set the rest of the dimensions.

Several years ago I wrote a column for O Scale Trains describing scratchbuilding a trolley car end w/o measuring anything through the entire process using just 1 window casting as the reference point for all dimensions.

quote:
I've already lost possibly 4 months in attempting to extract consistent dimensions from a set of Mather stock cars. That activity is currently on hold. And yes I do know that the Mather Manufacturing company was not overly consistent in using the same sizes and materials across their car line.

Now I would have thought that info might have been published in at least 1 magazine somewhere, some time.
Joe-SVL Posted - 11/02/2019 : 09:42:01 AM
Beautiful work on your Drover cabooses. Your comment that you built the cars "w/o any plans and just adopted picture". Does that mean that you took some measurements from the photo and made you own good judgments wrt length and height of the car and size of the windows, etc? I had the very god fortune of having a wonderfully detailed article to follow when I did my first car, and I'm afraid that may have jaded my thought into thinking that I need to find the equivalent in order to start my next car. I've already lost possibly 4 months in attempting to extract consistent dimensions from a set of Mather stock cars. That activity is currently on hold. And yes I do know that the Mather Manufacturing company was not overly consistent in using the same sizes and materials across their car line.

Joe in Orlando
mwbpequod Posted - 11/01/2019 : 8:05:58 PM
quote:

Drover caboose inquiry
I am intrigued with scratch building a Drover's caboose as on of my 8 cars. If anybody has any good dimensioned drawings for a Drover caboose I'd greatly appreciate it if you would send them to me at Joebrann@AOL.com Subject = Drover. Also if anybody has any good photos of the interior of a Drovers caboose that they built I'd appreciate seeing those also. Is scratchuilding a Drovers caboose a frequent way of completing the "passenger" car requirement of the Car Certificate.

Here are 2 that I scratchbuilt:

I gave the larger one away......

Usable for Passenger car requirement - yes. In fact, I think the smaller one won Passenger Car a few years back at a regional convention.

Plans? I build these 2 w/o any plans and just adopted picture (Cotton Belt prototype???). I rarely worry about plans getting in the way of my building whatever it is that I feel like building. Got Merit awards on 3/4 of my entries in this year's regional convention contest room.
Joe-SVL Posted - 11/01/2019 : 7:33:23 PM
Drover caboose inquiry
I am intrigued with scratch building a Drover's caboose as on of my 8 cars. If anybody has any good dimensioned drawings for a Drover caboose I'd greatly appreciate it if you would send them to me at Joebrann@AOL.com Subject = Drover. Also if anybody has any good photos of the interior of a Drovers caboose that they built I'd appreciate seeing those also. Is scratchuilding a Drovers caboose a frequent way of completing the "passenger" car requirement of the Car Certificate.

thanks
Joe in Orlando
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/24/2019 : 1:06:12 PM
Joe,

There are a couple of ways to get the taper. As you suggested, you can glue up several strips to the thickness you need and then use a file to make the taper. I've done this more than once with end sills on pre-1900 boxcar and caboose models. For the caboose I had to taper in two directions.

The other approach is do do something like I did on this unfinished model:

In this case, the bolster is an early one made of several iron or steel parts; for a twentieth century bolster I would glue rectangular pieces of styrene to each side and cut off the excess. I think one would get a more accurate taper this way. It might not be any more work. It could be done in two directions.

By the way, I use a styrene solvent cement for styrene, not CA. It really welds things together.

Mike
Joe-SVL Posted - 09/24/2019 : 10:00:51 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the replies to my bolster inquiry.

Mike- did you just CA some styrene strips together and then sand away to create your contest model bolsters? Did these contest model bolster have tapered sides or just tapered tops?

jbvb - I looked at Powells.com and all the Train Shed Cyclopedias are "out of stock"

Jim - I have completed one car so far but I have not had it evaluated yet. My judges come from the Tampa, FL area and my plan is to have three cars (plus my Civil certificate work which I finished in spring 2018) completed before I ask them to make the trip over.

Joe in Orlando

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000