Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 113 ]  [ Newest Member: longknifeldr ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 Wild Horse Island Railroad

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Grubes Posted - 11/04/2018 : 10:08:01 PM
Welcome to the beginning of my Wild Horse Island RR. thread. I’ll be posting on the construction and the progress of my new venture. I’m experienced in N scale (please see my “Eastern Shore in N scale thread on this site,”) however, this will be a bit of different path. In the past I’ve hand laid all of my track using Code 40 rail, Fast Track products and wood ties. For me, realistic looking track is key which is why I’ve surprised even myself by using Kato sectional track for this new layout.

I ‘ve made this decision for a number of reasons. Although I had no issues with derailments and I feel my track looked good, the super-detailing wasn’t really apparent without looking very close and the fragility of Code 40 rail required a lot of work to ensure smooth running. Additionally, I never found a good way to throw the switches as drilling a hole in an N scale tie frequently resulted in the tie breaking under the stress of Tortoise switch machines. Finally, I didn’t feel like building hand laid switches this time.

I also felt it would be a fun challenge to make the Kato track look as realistic as possible. In creating the track plan, I thought that a combination of paint, concrete pads that decreased the appearance of rail height, and good scenic work might provide the realism I required.

My track plan started as a variation on Iaian Rice’s Chesapeake Harbor RR (picture attached). I found his river entrances as a bit small and not realistic so I began by widening the overall size of the waterway. I also reduced some of the track as his plan would’ve required custom track work. My goals were to have a layout that interested me for operations and, unlike my previous layouts, provided constant running - a big reason for my tearing down my previous layout.

I wanted to hide the oval layout look by widening the river and using some scenic modifications, and by having the river divide the two areas of concentrated track, providing a natural reason for connecting the two sides with an oval.

The overall dimensions and track requirements are:
60” x 30”
12 turnouts
Kato Unitrack to include Kato electrical connectors
Foam base on plywood with plywood frame
Digitrax DCC system

The theme is a small harbor, again on the Eastern Shore of Maryland/Virginia. The name, “Wild Horse Island RR” comes from the island of Chincoteague in Virginia, a national wildlife reserve which is home to a herd of wild horses.

The railroad will serve a small harbor that has survived because of seafood trade, the handling of containers and hazardous cargo that can’t pass through certain areas in the region and because of the local grain industry. The railroad connects with CSX to the north and NS to the south and I originally included an interchange track for both. My initial track plan is below. One of the major advantages of Kato track (as opposed to handlaying) is the ability to easily move track around and experiment with track placement. As you’ll see, my final track plan is very different than my original and the benefits of easily configurable track helped significantly.

To increase my motivation, I purchased a Scale Trains NS GEVo ET44AC. This will be one of the engines used to take harbor traffic south and I intend to eventually buy, super-detail and weather an older Geep as my main engine for switching the harbor. It will probably be lettered for the Eastern Shore RR as I still have that railroad in my heart.

#8232;In the next post I'll show my final track plan and explain why I made the changes.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyson Rayles Posted - 08/12/2019 : 07:56:50 AM
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/11/2019 : 11:18:24 PM
I like the look you’ve achieved.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 08/11/2019 : 8:52:07 PM
Dave just getting caught up again. Beautiful scene!!
Bill Gill Posted - 08/11/2019 : 1:26:28 PM
Nice shots.
Grubes Posted - 08/11/2019 : 1:12:56 PM
Not much new. Some ballasting and grass on the front of the layout. The closeup of the loco is more a tribute to Scaletrains quality than my modeling but I like the shot.

Tyson Rayles Posted - 07/22/2019 : 07:14:58 AM
Great looking scene!
Grubes Posted - 07/21/2019 : 10:49:09 PM
Thanks for the looks and comments. Another bit of scenery added, this time the right front corner. I"ll confess to not doing much with the Super Trees except shaping them. The trunks are a bit off but in some ways I like the overarching dull, monochromatic combination of the grass and trees so I'm not sure I'll do much more to the tree trunks.

90 plus pct of the base scenery is in and it's been enjoyable watching the train pass through something other than pink foam. Will next tackle the road through the center of town.

Frank Palmer Posted - 07/08/2019 : 10:59:39 AM

Dave the structures are looking good and the base scenery is coming along nicely. I'm sure this is going to be a layout to see.
George D Posted - 07/08/2019 : 08:53:52 AM
Those buildings look great, Dave, and your scenes are coming along nicely.

George
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/08/2019 : 07:51:48 AM
The scenes you show are remote-looking, both model and prototype. Successful modeling, in my book.

Mike
Tyson Rayles Posted - 07/08/2019 : 07:29:05 AM
Very nice, you just need to add some people, vehicles and maybe a wharf rat or two and some seagulls.
Grubes Posted - 07/07/2019 : 12:03:29 PM
A few days off from work for the holiday gave me some time to continue adding basic scenery.

I use foam board as a base, work on most of the ground cover off of the layout and then glue the foam board to the pink insulation board that is the base for the track. There are two reasons for this approach. The first is that the foam board raises the scenery to the track level which is one of the ways I'm using to hide the Kato sectional track high profile. The second reason is to keep the messy work away from the finished part of the layout.

I focused on the back of the wharf area and the Nassawadox Lumber Company this weekend. Also added trees in the back right corner.

One thing that is working out well is the limited visibility of the track with most of the center of my 3'x5' area, with the exception of the lumber spur, railroad free. The harbor and the town draw the eyes away from the track minimizing the oval circle that I have around the edge. This helps me feel a bit of distance as the train travels in a circle. As it transverses the back edge it goes in and out of sight if viewed from ground level.

I'll next work on the town but progress will not be as rapid as I return to the, "real world."

First pic is of the harbor building that now has trees in the background and the second is from the land side which I've not photographed before because there wasn't any scenery prior to this weekend. The pile on the decking is shucked oyster shells.

Next five pics are of the Nassawadox Lumber Company area with the 2 pics of the actual building.

Michael Hohn Posted - 07/05/2019 : 6:06:56 PM
The night-time scene is very noir. I like it.
railman28 Posted - 07/05/2019 : 12:27:44 PM
Looking good so far.

Bob
Michael Posted - 07/05/2019 : 09:06:13 AM
Just came across this thread, very well done so far. Looking forward to more posts.

Michael

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000