|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 06/14/2017 : 2:10:19 PM
Here are the starting addresses of volumes 1, 2, and 3
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 02/26/2020 : 2:24:54 PM
||Posted - 02/26/2020 : 11:32:32 AM
Bob, I love "pies" what kind are you separating into, maple-walnut? :))
||Posted - 02/26/2020 : 10:51:58 AM
Bob, it's already starting to look treemendous!
||Posted - 02/26/2020 : 10:21:50 AM
No photo this morning, I just keep pulling bundles of wire, separating them into two pies,
and so on until I end up with a single wire. Then start all over again with a new bundle.
This will continue until the whole pile of wires has been divided over and over again and all
bundles end in single wires. Takes a bit of time but I do think it is starting to look like a tree.
||Posted - 02/25/2020 : 05:52:27 AM
Dave, Greg, and Fred, thanks for your comments.
the next job was to separate the main branches. No attempt was made to keep them
even, just pull a hunk and twist it to keep it separate. At that point, even twisted,
they were wiggly and I needed to make them more firm. I applied more epoxy putty and
roughened the surface and as that hardened the whole tree became quite firm..
||Posted - 02/24/2020 : 2:48:41 PM
||Posted - 02/24/2020 : 10:49:25 AM
Bob, it appears you have the makings of a wiry old tree in the works.
||Posted - 02/24/2020 : 09:49:07 AM
Interesting tree making approach. I'll watch closely!
||Posted - 02/24/2020 : 05:41:36 AM
That did not look like enough so I made another the same way but with 100 loops,
resulting in 200 more branches and combined it with the first bunch to end up with a total
of 600 branches.
Then I secured the trunk by wrapping it with an epoxy putty and scoring long lines in it
to roughen the bark.
I'm starting to see a tree in there.
||Posted - 02/24/2020 : 05:34:44 AM
Greg and Bruce, thanks for your comments, much appreciated.
I took a scrap piece of wood and drilled two 1/2 inch holes about 13 inches apart. Then I
inserted two small pieces of 1/2 inch dowel and a little nail at one end to be the
starting and ending point of my copper wire winding.
I don't know where I got that large roll of fine copper wire, I've had it in my shop for
as long as I can remember. It has an enamel coating and looks like it should be for
winding motors. I started by attaching the end to that little nail and then winding 200
loops around the dowels and ending it with another loop around the nail..
I removed the dowels to let the wire loops free and secured one end with tape, that
would be at the trunk of the tree. Then I cut all the wires at the top of the loop
resulting in 400 tree branches.
||Posted - 02/23/2020 : 5:03:44 PM
Great job on the snow, Bob. The whole scene is shaping up nicely.
||Posted - 02/23/2020 : 12:41:45 PM
Bob, It's all coming together very well!
I look forward to seeing how you go about making the tree that you have planned for this scene.
||Posted - 02/23/2020 : 07:54:20 AM
Thanks Mike, Carl, Greg, and Rich.
I glued real dirt down in that area under the roof extension. Then I added weeds, grass,
and some dried leaves to clutter it up a bit
Now I am at a breaking point. I need to make the tree and glue it into that hole before I
add the plaster "snow" to the main area so I will set the dio aside for the time being and
get to work on the tree.
||Posted - 02/22/2020 : 11:40:08 AM
This Dio sure is developing progressively. Perhaps if you included some daffodils protruding through the snow, Spring time would be just around the corner. Looks good.
||Posted - 02/22/2020 : 11:22:10 AM
Bob, It's certainly looking cooler!