Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 76 ]  [ Total: 77 ]  [ Newest Member: Movidium ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deemery Posted - 04/11/2018 : 10:24:02 AM
I'll start a blog to talk about constructing my new layout.

First, the space. We finished part of the basement to serve as layout space, shop space and some extra living space. It's my 'playground' but that doesn't mean I get to use all of it for the layout.

This room is dedicated layout space. Unfortunately the building inspector insisted I had to build a closet around the electrical panel in the left corner, and that really messes things up.

I can also extend into part of the general living space.

The shop area is against the back wall, and I'll use the near right wall for the main yard.

We also built a 3/4 bath in the basement (and that drove the construction budget well over estimates, since we had to do an up-flushing drain system to the septic field.)

I did some special electrical arrangements in the basement. First, one of every pair of outlets is switched. That means I can hit one switch and make sure all tools and DCC equipment is turned off. I also added some ceiling outlets for layout lighting, and those are switched separately from the main room overhead lights. The flooring is high quality vinyl plank with integral thick cork base. This stuff is supposed to be 'waterproof' (but the basement is very dry), and it's a lot more comfortable to stand on than the concrete slab. The oak color matches the flooring in the rest of the house, and more importantly it's relatively easy to find most things I drop on the floor.

dave
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/15/2019 : 12:44:48 AM
Dave,

Much better. The colors no longer looks like those on a mid 20th Century suburban house.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 10/14/2019 : 8:13:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

... the paint didn't cover all that well. But I think, particularly with an A&I wash, that will actually make the building look more weathered.

I think you're right.

How is the water repair going?

Bob
deemery Posted - 10/14/2019 : 7:09:00 PM
I decided to go with the 'warm white'. Despite saying "artist pigment" on the bottle, the paint didn't cover all that well. But I think, particularly with an A&I wash, that will actually make the building look more weathered.

Here's a window sitting on the new color.

Less contrast, but still it looks like the windows are painted differently.

I did try a grey (unpainted Tichy casting) window. I like the grey contrast, but not for this building. I want to try to get a bit of a "family look" with the masonry mill buildings. I'll save that color scheme for later.

dave
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/11/2019 : 5:07:52 PM
I'll agree with Mike, and I still think the wall is fine; it's the windows that are too stark. So before you paint the windows a dark umber or something, try the A/I wash route and see what toning them down some does for the building. An A/i wash seems less work than a repaint....

And above all, remember that we're here chirping in the Peanut Gallery, but you are in control of Rule One.

Pete
in Michigan
BurleyJim Posted - 10/11/2019 : 4:33:10 PM
Or lower left . Tapioca just sounds tastier! Dark Green looks too Government/Publics Works

Jim
TRAINS1941 Posted - 10/11/2019 : 12:40:53 PM
Top left for me!!
deemery Posted - 10/11/2019 : 12:32:18 PM
Time for some 'experimental model railroading'. I pulled 4 whitish colors from the shelf. (I couldn't find "Parchment", though. I'll hae to look for a new bottle.)
Golden Artist Acrylics Titanium Buff
Delta Oyster White
FolkArt Tapioca
FolkArt 'Artist Pigment' Warm White.

The Tapioca color is closest, but not as strongly yellow, as what I used before.

One (relatively thin) coat over raw wood (of course, my application would be over the previously painted siding, so that will tend to tint the color a bit.

I'm inclined to one of the colors on the left.

Thoughts?

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/11/2019 : 12:05:23 PM
Dave,

Your building would look much more 19th Century industrial if you used a dark trim. A dark umber is very authentic and looks great on structures like yours, especially with buff to yellow shades on the siding.

Another possibility is a dark green similar to Floquil’s Pullman Green.

Mike
TRAINS1941 Posted - 10/11/2019 : 11:34:55 AM
I would just tone down the windows a little.

Otherwise it looks really nice.
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/11/2019 : 10:55:52 AM
Dave,

This looks good to me, and yes, it is pretty bright. If it were mine, I'd consider hitting the whole thing, and particularly the windows, with an A/I wash to blend it all together and tone it down a tad. Yes, the "C-A Yankee Mill owners" used good quality paint so as not to have to redo it every year, but the environment was not clean, and the locomotives were, well... steam, and....

Give it a try... you can always paint over the thing if you don't like it. Start with one window....

Pete
in Michigan
deemery Posted - 10/11/2019 : 10:32:35 AM
I think the contrast between the walls and the trim is too great. Now I have to decide which to re-paint.

(My concept is that the windows are painted with good quality lead white paint.)

dave
BurleyJim Posted - 10/09/2019 : 1:33:06 PM
This looks shot is different than the previous gray shot. When compared to the background 'white' of the LCD screen it looks slightly pink-beige. It'll be great Dave! Like it!

In the words of my first employer at a Chicago autobody shop "a blind man will never see the difference".

Jim
deemery Posted - 10/09/2019 : 12:53:55 PM
This was taken underneath my one desk lamp where I can control color temperature, 4027K

The middle of the lower story has only 1 coat of paint, the rest of the structure (which will be seen) has 2 coats. (The first was a thin coat at full strength, the second a thin coat slightly thinned out, to even out the coverage.)

And shown on-site. Layout lighting will also be 4000k, but this is not the final light arrangement.

dave
BurleyJim Posted - 10/08/2019 : 8:44:43 PM
Did you shoot that photo with a flash? It looks washed out. Put it where the previous pictures were taken, and we can get a better idea of the change.

Jim
deemery Posted - 10/08/2019 : 7:49:12 PM
It has more yellow to it than Parchment, the color at the bottom of the photo is the most realistic.

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000