Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 111 ]  [ Total: 116 ]  [ Newest Member: rkovvur ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nelson458 Posted - 08/20/2017 : 3:01:26 PM
I have only recently, after some 5 or 6 years, started building a small layout. Although I am not much into operations, I do enjoy a little switching, and have found Peco insulfrog turnouts just the ticket for me, easy to throw the points, very little wiring. In fact, I might have gotten a little carried away with their turnouts . My 5' by 10' layout, is more destined to be a large diorama than an operating layout. And that was my intention.

Soooo, that being said, I have always wanted a small facility for the engines, nothing big, an engine shed (rather than a roundhouse) and machine shop, coaling station and a source of water. Ever since I built Sierra West's engine house, I thought that might be just the thing for this layout. Since that shed is HOn3, it won't do well here, besides, I have plans for that later.

So I set about planning the actual size of the shed. I already knew from the beginning what I wanted, and where, I just hadn't gotten the track set up and everything 'sized' so it would fit. It will be about 13.5" deep, contain 3 tracks, and one off to the side. I'm building it on 3/16" ply, it is pretty flat now, but after I glue stuff down that might change, so I am going to re-enforce the bottom with some sturdy hardwood. The layout sits on 2" foam, so I would need to cut into that for the added strips underneath.

The engine shed will be built very similarly to the Sierra West model, board by board on a framework of 6x6 stripwood. Or maybe 4x6. The roof will be peaked in the center, and the right hand stall will be set back 4.5" which will be used for small engines.

So far, I made a simple cardboard moch-up to see how it fits. I am glad I did, as the two r/h tracks didn't line up like I wanted. I had a short l/h turnout leading into those stalls and open area, and replaced it with a medium length 'Y' turnout. That proved to be much better. Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

So here are a couple of pictures, a birds-eye view and a sketch of the front of the shed. I hope to start on the project soon, but with an upcoming trip to Colorado for the show, not sure how far I will get before the next weekend.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nelson458 Posted - 09/14/2019 : 9:50:54 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Spiffy little model, Tony. HO?

Thank you Michael, yes, it is.
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/14/2019 : 7:16:33 PM
Spiffy little model, Tony. HO?

Nelson458 Posted - 09/14/2019 : 6:20:22 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Tony,

It is always wonderful to see you out and about, from ups and downs, and if I were to find something missing in a kit box, I would do the same thing - make my own !! You are a genious..
It's nice to see you posting again and as always, making something out of the ordinary. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rich

Thanks Rich.
Pennman Posted - 09/14/2019 : 6:00:56 PM
Tony,

It is always wonderful to see you out and about, from ups and downs, and if I were to find something missing in a kit box, I would do the same thing - make my own !! You are a genious..
It's nice to see you posting again and as always, making something out of the ordinary. Thanks for sharing with us.

Rich
Nelson458 Posted - 09/14/2019 : 5:40:35 PM
I've had this little car kit for an unknown number of years, never built it because it wasn't exactly up to my standards, but I couldn't throw it away either.

Do you have one of those???

So it has been stashed in the back of my drawer for as many years, and while searching for something else, I came across it, for maybe the dozenth time, and thought I'd give it a closer look.

It is a two car kit, but upon opening the closed plastic bag etc., I find a couple of pieces missing, one being the chassis.

OK, I can at least work with one. I probably got it thrown in with some eBay baggage once, I don't remember. But I thought it would be fun for a change.

The styrene was black, and VERY GLOSSY. Surprisingly, though, very little if any flashing. I decided if I do this, I'll leave the top off, mainly because of the 3" thick 'wires' that holds the top up, and the 4" thick plastic glass.

I test fitted everything, not bad, but I had to file the headlamp down a tad to fit between the fenders

I am not even sure the name of the model company is "Model International" from Germany, but that is all I could find.

So, after test fitting over and over, making sure I hadn't missed anything, and drilling out the wheels to accept the small bronze rod axles (the holes were there, just not big enough, same for the grill 'plugs' being a little bigger than the holes in the mating part)
I proceeded to get my spray gun out and shot a black mixed with a little brown by Vallejo. Nice faded flat black.

The holes in the back of the seat had been filled in as I wasn't going to use the cover.

The paint dried fairly quick, and I used pastels to weather it. I glued in the axles after painting the wheels, and assembled the car.

It all went pretty well, and even look's fairly decent. I wouldn't use it for a main show, but like my wife says, it would look great abandoned in a field. I added some 'mud' to the wheels and under the fenders, but I like it.

Just goes to show that even a lemon can come out with a few stars.

The front looks more like a 1938 Bentley than a Ford model T, but still, overall, not a bad piece to add somewhere just right.
Nelson458 Posted - 09/14/2019 : 12:46:20 PM
WOW! I just looked at the number of views on my thread, 57,988. I don't think I've ever seen mine go that high. All I can say to all of you, I really do appreciate your support, and in some cases, criticism, it helps me improve.

Thank you all.
Nelson458 Posted - 09/14/2019 : 12:31:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Pennman

Nice detail construction and how-to Tony. You have the niche to continue to amaze. Keep it coming.

Rich

Thanks Rich. Much appreciated.
Pennman Posted - 09/12/2019 : 10:15:34 AM
Nice detail construction and how-to Tony. You have the niche to continue to amaze. Keep it coming.

Rich
Nelson458 Posted - 09/09/2019 : 5:37:08 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Very nice detail, Tony. Youíre certainly keeping your nose to the grindstone.

Ainít that the truth
Nelson458 Posted - 09/09/2019 : 5:35:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Yours looks better than the casting for sure.

Thank you Bryan
Nelson458 Posted - 09/09/2019 : 5:34:15 PM
quote:
Originally posted by brownbr

Thank you Bryan
Nelson458 Posted - 09/09/2019 : 5:32:10 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

All you need is the AX to grind 'cause that rolling stone will get the job done. Seriously, nice job on the grindstone.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I think I might have one. If not, I can probably make one
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/09/2019 : 08:17:23 AM
Very nice detail, Tony. Youíre certainly keeping your nose to the grindstone.
brownbr Posted - 09/09/2019 : 06:31:26 AM
railman28 Posted - 09/08/2019 : 9:45:50 PM
All you need is the AX to grind 'cause that rolling stone will get the job done. Seriously, nice job on the grindstone.

Bob

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000