Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 157 ]  [ Total: 163 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 SL&N construction blog

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
deemery Posted - 04/11/2018 : 10:24:02 AM
I'll start a blog to talk about constructing my new layout.

First, the space. We finished part of the basement to serve as layout space, shop space and some extra living space. It's my 'playground' but that doesn't mean I get to use all of it for the layout.

This room is dedicated layout space. Unfortunately the building inspector insisted I had to build a closet around the electrical panel in the left corner, and that really messes things up.

I can also extend into part of the general living space.

The shop area is against the back wall, and I'll use the near right wall for the main yard.

We also built a 3/4 bath in the basement (and that drove the construction budget well over estimates, since we had to do an up-flushing drain system to the septic field.)

I did some special electrical arrangements in the basement. First, one of every pair of outlets is switched. That means I can hit one switch and make sure all tools and DCC equipment is turned off. I also added some ceiling outlets for layout lighting, and those are switched separately from the main room overhead lights. The flooring is high quality vinyl plank with integral thick cork base. This stuff is supposed to be 'waterproof' (but the basement is very dry), and it's a lot more comfortable to stand on than the concrete slab. The oak color matches the flooring in the rest of the house, and more importantly it's relatively easy to find most things I drop on the floor.

dave
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
railman28 Posted - 08/07/2020 : 10:57:49 PM
I like the lettering. Good progress overall

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/07/2020 : 6:50:50 PM
Looking good, Dave!
Orionvp17 Posted - 08/07/2020 : 5:41:52 PM
Looking good, Dave! Nice progress!

Pete
in Michigan
deemery Posted - 08/07/2020 : 4:08:53 PM
I decided to add the lettering (decal) to the other side of the Aladdin company building. The paint and decal varnish will be dry tomorrow. When I add the roof ventilators, stairway and a block above the 2nd story door, this will be done.

dave
deemery Posted - 08/05/2020 : 6:46:59 PM
I finally got around to printing the decals for the lettering. White paint underneath, so it looks like white lettering painted over black lettering.

I also started on the metal roofs. I primed with Vallejo panzer grey, then applied Pewter Pan Pastel to give it a metallic sheen. Over that I applied neutral dark shade to tone down the metal. (This shows the Pewter, before the flat neutral grey.)

This is a relatively new structure, so I won't weather the roof very much.

Next step is glazing and the dormer windows.

dave
deemery Posted - 07/08/2020 : 10:44:58 AM
I'm bouncing around a couple of different projects right now. I'm procrastinating on the decals to complete the (Walthers) kit under the stairs. I've been roughing out scenery for the hill underneath the stairs, I should work more on that, too, since I don't have to wait for any parts to do that work (now that I bought some cheapo fabric yesterday.) I've started a new project to build a small coal station for the HOn30 line, starting with the Durango Press kit and building a shed around it. I shrunk the drawings down to 70% which is the right size for HOn30 locos. There are some interesting construction challenges, I suppose I should do a separate build thread on that. And I'm waiting for a Downtown Deco plaster kit to add to the staging yard back wall.

dave
railman28 Posted - 07/01/2020 : 2:13:31 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

Bob, there's supposed to be a view block where the white column is, so you won't be able to see all the way to where "Jacob's Coal" is.

dave

That should still make a very deep scene. I think that much better than looking into a closet and trying to make that work

Bob.
deemery Posted - 07/01/2020 : 1:56:30 PM
Bob, there's supposed to be a view block where the white column is, so you won't be able to see all the way to where "Jacob's Coal" is.

dave
tloc Posted - 07/01/2020 : 09:39:11 AM
Dave, it all looks excellent and very believable. Backgrounds really do make things pop.

TomO
jbvb Posted - 07/01/2020 : 09:31:37 AM
I can tell you're working hard. Ball signals were normally in the 'no balls raised' position, nothing has permission to move. For an unscheduled move, normal practice would be to approach the signal at restricted speed, prepared to stop in 1/2 the sight distance. Then call for a signal with 4 short toots. The signal tender either clears you or holds you till another, superior move completes. If the unscheduled or low-priority move was near the capacity of the loco, the yardmaster might telegraph/telephone the ball signal operator and not start the move till the signal was clear. Most RRs forbade the use of sand across diamonds.
deemery Posted - 06/30/2020 : 7:15:32 PM
I've actually been working relatively hard, just nothing interesting to show. I primed the wall castings for the Walthers Vulcan factory in the center of the previous photo. Tomorrow that primer should be fully cured, and I'll paint the bricks before assembling the wall. I used white primer for a change, so when I put a brick color on it the brick will have a different tone than you see with most of my other brick buildings (where I used Vallejo Red-Brown primer, sometimes as the final brick color.) On the front of the building I painted a white stripe (went back over a couple of times with the primer) with the idea of doing a black decal with the "white lettering" showing through. That means I'll have to mask that section when I do the brick paint.

I also installed a piece of foam in the hole that is just behind the structure mock-up, level with the homasote for the yard, and mocked up a hill behind the factory. That hill will connect to a hill on the other side of the wall to the right. One consequence of this is that the ball signal will be really hard for the engineer on the NG to see from his cab heading away from the yard to the crossing. So the rulebook will require him to stop before the crossing and ask the towerman to reset the ball signal (to be built). Towerman will have to see if there are any conflicting standard gauge train movements before releasing the crossing to the NG. I think that's how the prototype would handle this (you rules experts, please chime in!!)

The little connectors to easily wire up the LED strips came today, so that will probably be tomorrow's project, once I'm back from my eye appointment. I'm adding another LED strip on the other side of the drop ceiling. I had planned this, but in particular I noticed shadows I didn't want on the factory without that extra light. I still need to ponder how I'll wire this up in the long run, I'm guessing it'll be at the end of the long lighting run from the layout lights in the train room.

dave
railman28 Posted - 06/29/2020 : 2:25:49 PM
For what they're worth, here are my observations. I like how it's shaping up. The white behind the industrial building between the tracks is drawing my eye in. All the way to the coal bunker(?) in the background. This is making the scene look large and following. I don't find myself looking up at the bottom of the stairs of noticing the corner at the left. Is that what your after? BTW, I have the same problem with Downtown Deco.

Bob
deemery Posted - 06/29/2020 : 2:06:52 PM
I'm "imagineering" the scene under the stairs. The white box on the right is a single stall enginehouse, for the turntable that is that square opening in front of it :-)

I also ordered a Downtown Deco flat to go along the wall on the left. The only problem I have with Randy's kits is they're often "pre-weathered" in ways that look too decrepit for my 1890s era industrial buildings.

dave

railman28 Posted - 06/28/2020 : 6:17:33 PM
quote:
, you know how hard it is to get a 4-4-0 up any grade... :-) )

Yes! that's my excuse for building moguls.
deemery Posted - 06/28/2020 : 5:51:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

It looks like it's working. I would be good for photographing the layout. I personally like my blue sky extended higher at least just with paint, about twice what you have.

Bob

Yeah, the blue is just a mock-up (it's the top 7" of the 18" backdrop that I cut down.) This particular part of the layout isn't really focused on full scenery, it's mostly visible staging for the standard gauge. The backdrops in the rest of the layout are 18" above track. (Standard gauge track is level, you know how hard it is to get a 4-4-0 up any grade... :-) )

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000