Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 148 ]  [ Newest Member: Dizzy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Loco shed, scratchbuild

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Nelson458 Posted - 08/20/2017 : 3:01:26 PM
I have only recently, after some 5 or 6 years, started building a small layout. Although I am not much into operations, I do enjoy a little switching, and have found Peco insulfrog turnouts just the ticket for me, easy to throw the points, very little wiring. In fact, I might have gotten a little carried away with their turnouts . My 5' by 10' layout, is more destined to be a large diorama than an operating layout. And that was my intention.

Soooo, that being said, I have always wanted a small facility for the engines, nothing big, an engine shed (rather than a roundhouse) and machine shop, coaling station and a source of water. Ever since I built Sierra West's engine house, I thought that might be just the thing for this layout. Since that shed is HOn3, it won't do well here, besides, I have plans for that later.

So I set about planning the actual size of the shed. I already knew from the beginning what I wanted, and where, I just hadn't gotten the track set up and everything 'sized' so it would fit. It will be about 13.5" deep, contain 3 tracks, and one off to the side. I'm building it on 3/16" ply, it is pretty flat now, but after I glue stuff down that might change, so I am going to re-enforce the bottom with some sturdy hardwood. The layout sits on 2" foam, so I would need to cut into that for the added strips underneath.

The engine shed will be built very similarly to the Sierra West model, board by board on a framework of 6x6 stripwood. Or maybe 4x6. The roof will be peaked in the center, and the right hand stall will be set back 4.5" which will be used for small engines.

So far, I made a simple cardboard moch-up to see how it fits. I am glad I did, as the two r/h tracks didn't line up like I wanted. I had a short l/h turnout leading into those stalls and open area, and replaced it with a medium length 'Y' turnout. That proved to be much better. Sometimes a simple change is all that is needed.

So here are a couple of pictures, a birds-eye view and a sketch of the front of the shed. I hope to start on the project soon, but with an upcoming trip to Colorado for the show, not sure how far I will get before the next weekend.

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Nelson458 Posted - 12/05/2019 : 1:18:52 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Tony,

Youíre doing a fine job. You might claim inexperience building cars but we all know they are just houses on wheels, with floor, sides, and roof. In fact some railroads called boxcars ďhouse carsĒ in the late 19th Century. Youíve followed a cardinal rule in building any structure: lots of bracing.

Mike

Thank you Mike, and for the history lesson.
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/05/2019 : 12:04:03 PM
Tony,

Youíre doing a fine job. You might claim inexperience building cars but we all know they are just houses on wheels, with floor, sides, and roof. In fact some railroads called boxcars ďhouse carsĒ in the late 19th Century. Youíve followed a cardinal rule in building any structure: lots of bracing.

Mike

Nelson458 Posted - 12/05/2019 : 08:45:55 AM
Making a little headway. I have fitted in the roof using some 1/16" basswood siding, it was handy and the right size. After cutting to size, for a tight fit, I scribed down the center to 'pop' it a little to get the angle.
I kept the angle constant by first gluing down a 1/8" long piece of 4x4 stripwood on top of the framing in the center, just inside of the end siding, then gluing down the roof over that. Then I added an extension to the roof ends, keeping it flush with the top of the roof and after I sanded everything flat so nothing stuck up.
I attached some 'trim' below the roof line, first the 1x6, then 1x4 stripwood, then came back with some tarpaper. The paper I used was some 'tissue'(DURALAR Clear .005 9X12 sheets I bought off Amazon for $11.50 a pad of 25) paper I have that is sandwiched between the sheets of the clear plastic sheets.
I painted the tissue paper (I cut about a 4x9" piece) a grey charcoal color, cut into about 1/2" strips when dry, glued them down and weathered it a dark brown pastel color (using Rembrandt soft pastels).

Nelson458 Posted - 12/03/2019 : 8:58:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by George D

quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:

The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George

Thanks George, Iím sort of winging it as I go on these as Iíve never done any before like these.

I haven't either, Tony. That's why I'm so interested in seeing the cars come together.

George

Well I hope I donít disappoint you. I just put the roof on this evening, not complete there either, but Iíll post again soon.
George D Posted - 12/03/2019 : 11:44:26 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Nelson458

quote:

The cars are looking good, Tony. It's interesting to see the way you're putting them together.

George

Thanks George, Iím sort of winging it as I go on these as Iíve never done any before like these.

I haven't either, Tony. That's why I'm so interested in seeing the cars come together.

George
Nelson458 Posted - 12/03/2019 : 09:55:41 AM
quote:

George

Nelson458 Posted - 12/03/2019 : 09:53:23 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

They are lookiní great, but pretty derelict, Tony. (Arenít we all.)

Iím not sure this railroad of yours will weather the next economic downturn.

Mike

Thanks Mike, yes these cars are to look a little derelict. As part of a string of backwoods cars that donít have a lot of care. So thank you for noticing my intention
George D Posted - 12/03/2019 : 08:58:15 AM

George
Michael Hohn Posted - 12/02/2019 : 7:55:36 PM
They are lookiní great, but pretty derelict, Tony. (Arenít we all.)

Iím not sure this railroad of yours will weather the next economic downturn.

Mike

Nelson458 Posted - 12/02/2019 : 7:43:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd

Have to say that weathering looks great.

Bernd

Thank you Bernd. It is something that only board by board can do.
Bernd Posted - 12/02/2019 : 7:17:07 PM
Have to say that weathering looks great.

Bernd
Nelson458 Posted - 12/02/2019 : 6:09:28 PM
I have the siding installed. Still the roof, doors and trim etc. to finish up. I like the weathered look on these cars.

Nelson458 Posted - 12/01/2019 : 8:51:35 PM
Adding some structural supports to the box cars ready for framing. The cars measure a scale 23', only one foot off the 24' the Rio Grande used in the 1880's. In fact, they also had one about 1/2 that size, just long enough for the door to open. I am making one with open doors, the reason for the interior. I'm weighing them in at around 2oz. each, which seems about right. Also prepared some 2x6 and 2x8's for the framing tomorrow.

Nelson458 Posted - 11/29/2019 : 5:28:37 PM
Oh, I wanted to add, instead of just using the wood as the 'hold' for the screws, I drilled a hole for some .093" styrene tubing, superglued in place, and tapped for the 2-56 screws. I had to re-drill the styrene for the tap, which is why I chose tubing. Easy to center the drill for the tap.
Nelson458 Posted - 11/29/2019 : 5:25:25 PM
Well, I didn't get bored for long, but I did change directions for a while. Although this little project is going to be a part of the mini diorama with the shed, it is still somewhat connected, so I am posting it here.

I have at least 2 sets of the backwoods train that Brett Gallant put out, an HO version and an HOn3 version. This one is the HO version.

If I follow the directions, page per page, I would be starting on the small one truck water (or is it oil?) car, but after unwrapping all the castings, I saw the shorty box car, and thought about adding a couple more to the line-up. But then I would have 3 cars, one of resin, the other two of wood, and I didn't think that would look good, so I decided on doing 3 from scratch, and maybe I might still do the kit box car later. But I had to go to the middle of the book to find the kit instructions on this one, not that it would make much difference, I don't think, but I may learn a few things. The rest of the cars I will probably do as per the kit.

So I took some measurements, particularly the overall dimensions, so I can keep within the same parameters, found all the appropriately sized stripwood, and started cutting and gluing things together. It's a pretty easy sequence, but one thing I didn't take into account was the coupler height. Although I copied the dimensions off the kit piece, Brett has left a convenient lug on the coupler box, so when adding the coupler and trucks, the coupler falls right in line with the NMRA requirements, a nice touch. But since I didn't use a lug, and used the Kadee coupler housing instead, there was about a .03" difference in height. So to compensate, I added a .03" shim on the truck bolster. Perfect, except now, the truck would carry the box a little too high, so later, when the sides go up, I will lower the sides and put a small shim of wood on the outer beam to hold the lowered siding.

So anyways, here are some sequential pictures.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000