Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 100 ]  [ Total: 104 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OK Hogger Posted - 06/02/2016 : 8:48:01 PM
I'm BAAAaaack!

As threatened, here's an update concerning my first fledgling efforts at creating the Colorado & Pacific's first "kit-bashed" steam engine. At this point, I'm just experimenting with the basic components that I hope to make work for my first late-1870s/mid-1880s Mogul.

Here's a pic of the first combination (on the right):

Obviously, I'm starting with the venerable Pocher "Reno". It's sitting on a modified MDC/Roundhouse Old Timer 2-6-0 frame. The stack/cylinder center lines match up, so that works. (At this point, the stack is a Tyco "General" stack which may, or may not, be used.) The boiler will need just a bit of "massaging" (filing the inside edges) to allow it to snuggle down over the frame to sit lower. The "Reno" cab fits fine, should I decide to retain it. At this stage, there were a few more questions I must address:

* Can I use the Pocher cylinder/guides assembly (with new scratchbuilt main rods/side rods)?

* Can I get a Sagami 16x30 to fit inside the rear portion of the boiler? (Or do I need to go smaller?)

* Should I retain the MDC/Roundhouse 72:1 step gear ratio (using an NWSL gear set), or go with the NWSL 45:1 MDC gear replacement set? Experimentations/decisions/ ahead. I hope to answer those questions "soon".

Next, for gits n' shiggles, I experimented with what a 60" driver version would look like by using Mantua 60" drivers (that's what they measure using my dial calipers) installed into an MDC 63" driver Mogul frame. Here's the result:

Don't like it. This is supposed to be a "freight hog" and this looks like a passenger engine.

So, I then decided to piddle n' diddle some more with the 52" driver version, so I detached some more parts from the Pocher assemblies. (Wow, Pocher was way ahead of their time in devising complicated assembly procedures! Would make the "Ah so. We Chinee!" mfg folk proud!)

I massaged the boiler so it would snuggle down more on the frame and added a leading truck using a modified MDC lead truck assembly with a NWSL 26" flush end wheelset. I also modified the Pocher cylinder/pilot assembly and it fits fine. However, I think I would prefer the longer pilot version that came with the Pocher "Genoa" instead of the short version on the "Reno".

Anyway, here's what this combination looks like:

Ah... NOW we're getting somewhere! I like the overall lines and "stance".

What I don't like is the "bulk" that the MDC cover plate creates because it extends up PAST the front driver. To me this makes the frame look too "thick" between the front driver and cylinders. (Compare that area on the Jupiter in the pic above.)

So, I think I will be cutting off the MDC cover plate back toward the center axle. This ought to result in a "deep firebox" look which is definitely desired, but create more "space" under the frame for the front driver. (I will use a thin piece of brass screwed to the frame w/small a pair of bolts/screws to hold the front driver set in place.)

I then got the happy idea to try an MDC "Old Timer" cab on it to see how that looked. Here's a pic of that experiment:

Nope. Ain't happening. Looks like it's been "modernized" in the mid-late 1880s and I don't want to go there. I want it to look more "original". So, that attempt was a dud.

Now, from here I learned that a 16x30 Sagami round can will NOT fit the Pocher/MDC combination. It will fit the MDC frame (have done so in the past) but will NOT fit the Pocher boiler, even after using the dremel to remove the ridge inside the Pocher boiler that's up at the top. (Hits the boiler taper before the can motor is far enough forward for the MDC frame.)

So, this means I need to find an alternative motor. Thus far, it looks like the NWSL 12mm x 25mm is the most likely option at this point. That combination will require an adapter bushing for the shaft to retain use of the NWSL MDC regear sets available.

Which brings up this question:

Have any of you any experience re-gearing an MDC Old Timer from the stock 72:1 step gear to a NWSL 45:1 step gear? If so, what were the performance changes?

Okay... I think that's it on the updates for now.

Any input most welcomed!

Andre
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/06/2019 : 6:10:56 PM
A little care on the fiscal side also helps prevent expensive mistakes, extravagances and unthought out purchases.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 09/05/2019 : 1:51:47 PM
Understand the need for mature fiscal management. I played with track plans and CAD drawing in such times. But, basic scenery (paper towel, plaster of Paris over a lactic of cardboard strips) was cheap too. A lot cheaper than foam That's for sure and with a cheap drop cloth, a lot easier to clean up.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 09/05/2019 : 09:15:01 AM
Hi Bob!

Thanks for asking.

I'm saving up my hobby funds for my next major purchase: A second complete NCE R/C DCC system. Amid that, I've also got to spend some of my hobby funds for some motorcycle upkeep things (about $200-$300 worth) in advance of riding season that's only a few weeks away.

SO... I'm avoiding my model railroad train hobby for now so as not to be tempted to spend on items that will prolong the saving mode.

Typically, I use my V scale interest to piddle with as I await for such funds/etc. That said, I'm in the process of putting in the last few miles of track to replicate the St. Louis & North Arkansas railroad as it was from about 1903 to mid-1906. (The StL&MA morphed into the Missouri & North Arkansas when it started their final expansions in 1906.) SO, as per the prototype, "my" virtual St.L&NA/M&NA runs from Seligman, MO, to Leslie, AR, some 121 miles or so. I used track charts and all the data I could get my hands on to make this as accurate as reasonably practical. I also intend to share this route project with those interested among my V scale friends.

So, there you have it!

Andre
railman28 Posted - 09/04/2019 : 10:45:46 PM
Andre!!! What's you doing?
railman28 Posted - 08/11/2019 : 12:47:58 PM
Dave H and Mike, Thank you. And apologies Andre.
Bob
deemery Posted - 08/11/2019 : 09:31:35 AM
Dave H, great story!

dave
dave1905 Posted - 08/11/2019 : 09:08:13 AM
The Omaha Public Library has MCB annual reports back into the late 1800's. I read a few from the late 1800's and early 1900's. In their they have the results of disputes over car repair charges. One railroad repairs a car, charges the owning railroad for the repairs and the owning railroad disputes the charges. It was amazing the small amounts of the charges, many less than $5. The SP surfaced in several of the disputes as a third party to the dispute. A railroad replaced air hoses or repaired a train line on a car and charged the owning road, but the owning road refused the charges because the car was not equipped with air brakes. The common thread in these cases was the car had been on the SP and the SP equipped the other road's car with a train line and air hoses so it could mix the cars in with its trains of cars that had air brakes. The car then returned home, off the SP and the train line or air hose failed and was replaced and the owning road was charged.
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/11/2019 : 08:32:48 AM
Bob,

In 1888 the Southern Pacific Company (aka Pacific System S P Co.) with all its subsidiaries owned 11,022 cars. Thatís everything, including Central Pacific RR, Southern Pacific RR, Southern Pacific Co., etc. A footnote states that ďAll freight cars of the Pacific SystemĒ were fitted with automatic air brakes, except for the S P Co. Northern Division (684 cars) and the Sacramento & Placerville and Sacramento Valley Railroads (40 cars).

Mike
railman28 Posted - 08/10/2019 : 11:50:02 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

The 1888 Equipment Register lists cars equipped with airbrakes all over the US. But most railroads had them in relatively small numbers.

Mike

Mike, about what percent of the Southern Pacific have Air brakes in 88?

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/10/2019 : 11:09:12 PM
The 1888 Equipment Register lists cars equipped with airbrakes all over the US. But most railroads had them in relatively small numbers.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 08/10/2019 : 10:06:50 PM
Yes, exactly. And Engines dedicate to a particular service because they were equipped with air brakes. Head end helpers had to coupled in front of the road engine if they didn't have air brakes. It adds a lot of fun. I plan to have the compressors and other hardware being uncrated in the shops. My passenger engines will have air brakes.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 08/10/2019 : 9:29:37 PM

Okay... so the video says late 1880s... photos indicate the D&RG, CM, and NP (and ??) were some of the exceptions. Either way, "late 1880s" sounds like I can model air cars and non-air cars. Using a CM's Employee Timetable as an example, air cars will have to be handled up front, non-air behind.

SO, in layout and model building terms: More switching. More "operation". Don't HAVE to have air brake castings under ALL cars.

Sounds good to me! Seems like a win-win.

Andre
railman28 Posted - 08/10/2019 : 7:16:00 PM
passenger equipment started in 1879. The Colorado Midland and Northern Pacific lead the way on freight equipment but everybody else was dragged there by the evil central government.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1a9-pc07KKc
OK Hogger Posted - 08/10/2019 : 5:09:44 PM
Bob:

Well, my reading and photos show differently?

For example, the first Schenectady-built 2-8-0's of the Colorado Midland came with air pumps, and they were delivered to the CM in 1886?

Also, the D&RG began receiving engines from the builders with air pumps in the early 1880s? Construction photos of the Marshall Pass line (early 1880s) show engines w/air pumps?

Andre
railman28 Posted - 08/10/2019 : 3:56:46 PM
Andre, Air brakes were still being tested in the late 80's and not adopted until the new century.
(I like the sound of the air pump too)

Bob

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000