Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 1 | Guests: 120 ]  [ Total: 123 ]  [ Newest Member: Wayne Taylor ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Promised Update...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
OK Hogger Posted - 06/02/2016 : 8:48:01 PM
I'm BAAAaaack!

As threatened, here's an update concerning my first fledgling efforts at creating the Colorado & Pacific's first "kit-bashed" steam engine. At this point, I'm just experimenting with the basic components that I hope to make work for my first late-1870s/mid-1880s Mogul.

Here's a pic of the first combination (on the right):

Obviously, I'm starting with the venerable Pocher "Reno". It's sitting on a modified MDC/Roundhouse Old Timer 2-6-0 frame. The stack/cylinder center lines match up, so that works. (At this point, the stack is a Tyco "General" stack which may, or may not, be used.) The boiler will need just a bit of "massaging" (filing the inside edges) to allow it to snuggle down over the frame to sit lower. The "Reno" cab fits fine, should I decide to retain it. At this stage, there were a few more questions I must address:

* Can I use the Pocher cylinder/guides assembly (with new scratchbuilt main rods/side rods)?

* Can I get a Sagami 16x30 to fit inside the rear portion of the boiler? (Or do I need to go smaller?)

* Should I retain the MDC/Roundhouse 72:1 step gear ratio (using an NWSL gear set), or go with the NWSL 45:1 MDC gear replacement set? Experimentations/decisions/ ahead. I hope to answer those questions "soon".

Next, for gits n' shiggles, I experimented with what a 60" driver version would look like by using Mantua 60" drivers (that's what they measure using my dial calipers) installed into an MDC 63" driver Mogul frame. Here's the result:

Don't like it. This is supposed to be a "freight hog" and this looks like a passenger engine.

So, I then decided to piddle n' diddle some more with the 52" driver version, so I detached some more parts from the Pocher assemblies. (Wow, Pocher was way ahead of their time in devising complicated assembly procedures! Would make the "Ah so. We Chinee!" mfg folk proud!)

I massaged the boiler so it would snuggle down more on the frame and added a leading truck using a modified MDC lead truck assembly with a NWSL 26" flush end wheelset. I also modified the Pocher cylinder/pilot assembly and it fits fine. However, I think I would prefer the longer pilot version that came with the Pocher "Genoa" instead of the short version on the "Reno".

Anyway, here's what this combination looks like:

Ah... NOW we're getting somewhere! I like the overall lines and "stance".

What I don't like is the "bulk" that the MDC cover plate creates because it extends up PAST the front driver. To me this makes the frame look too "thick" between the front driver and cylinders. (Compare that area on the Jupiter in the pic above.)

So, I think I will be cutting off the MDC cover plate back toward the center axle. This ought to result in a "deep firebox" look which is definitely desired, but create more "space" under the frame for the front driver. (I will use a thin piece of brass screwed to the frame w/small a pair of bolts/screws to hold the front driver set in place.)

I then got the happy idea to try an MDC "Old Timer" cab on it to see how that looked. Here's a pic of that experiment:

Nope. Ain't happening. Looks like it's been "modernized" in the mid-late 1880s and I don't want to go there. I want it to look more "original". So, that attempt was a dud.

Now, from here I learned that a 16x30 Sagami round can will NOT fit the Pocher/MDC combination. It will fit the MDC frame (have done so in the past) but will NOT fit the Pocher boiler, even after using the dremel to remove the ridge inside the Pocher boiler that's up at the top. (Hits the boiler taper before the can motor is far enough forward for the MDC frame.)

So, this means I need to find an alternative motor. Thus far, it looks like the NWSL 12mm x 25mm is the most likely option at this point. That combination will require an adapter bushing for the shaft to retain use of the NWSL MDC regear sets available.

Which brings up this question:

Have any of you any experience re-gearing an MDC Old Timer from the stock 72:1 step gear to a NWSL 45:1 step gear? If so, what were the performance changes?

Okay... I think that's it on the updates for now.

Any input most welcomed!

Andre
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OK Hogger Posted - 07/19/2019 : 8:16:46 PM
Thanks fella's.

It's nice to have a layout again, and I'm looking forward to having one (at a time for now) the Fort Smith guys over to operate some trains. It's been over 20 years since I've hosted operating sessions. A plus is that the three Fort Smith guys are chewin' at the bit to get a chance to operate on the layout.

Andre
tloc Posted - 07/19/2019 : 3:02:53 PM
Great progress Andre. Getting ready for folks to visit is a huge motivator. Congrats!

TomO
railman28 Posted - 07/19/2019 : 2:43:01 PM
It sounds like a great day indeed.

bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/19/2019 : 01:18:51 AM
Great news to hear, Andre.
OK Hogger Posted - 07/19/2019 : 01:04:42 AM
Hi gang!

The "Get Together" was a huge success. They were dumbfounded I had a functioning layout!

We ran all sorts of trains, starting with steam, ending with diesels. One of them brought some DCC/Sound equipped diesels and we ran those, too. I fielded lots of questions about how I did this or that/etc. They were very complimentary concerning both of my concepts (my 1880s theme and 1960s theme) as well as the way the layout is shaping up.

Lunch was on us (Sharon and I). We served them a buffet-style sandwich bar with all the fixin's along with a selection chips and cookies.

It turned out to pretty much be an all day deal. Guys started arriving at 9-ish, and we didn't shut down until 4-ish.

One of the Fort Smith guys (diesel modeler) seemed very interested in trying his hand at the 1880s era once I have it up and running. He was fascinated by the "narrow gauge feel" of the tiny 1880s stuff. As expected, the others were most interested in my diesel theme.

Tentative plans are to go to Fort Smith Saturday morning of the 27th and pick up my 87 year old long time friend (also a model railroader that loves steam) and bring him down to see my layout and run some trains with him. When he's ready, I'll take him back home. This will be the first time he's had an opportunity to run trains with me on one of my personal layouts in over 3 decades.

For August, we're talking about car-pooling and heading off to a train meet some 2 1/2 - 3 hours away at Jacksonville, AR. We may not all go, but I intend to team up with whomever of the group wants to go and make the show. This will be the first show I've attended in over 15 years.

In all, it was a great day.

All fer now!

Andre
OK Hogger Posted - 07/18/2019 : 12:06:44 AM
Bob: LOL!

It has served me well over the years, but it can also be a pain. (DID I remember to shut the garage door? Can't see in my mind that I watched it go down... stop the vehicle, turn around... drive back to see that, yes indeed, the garage door is down. THAT'S the part of OCD is a pain in the butt. SO, part of my departure routine MUST include watching the garage door all the way down, and that nothing trips the "hazard/clearance" light causing it raise back up.)

Once the company's over with and I settle back into a routine, I am going to start seriously determining which of the two eras truly will allow me to get operational the quickest, then pursue that one era for a spell toward that goal. More on that as it gets mulled over.

Andre
railman28 Posted - 07/17/2019 : 8:13:32 PM
you're OCD a good name. Congratulations on making this major goal.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 07/17/2019 : 5:14:11 PM
dave:

OCD

Andre
deemery Posted - 07/17/2019 : 5:05:12 PM
You're very efficient!

dave
OK Hogger Posted - 07/17/2019 : 2:42:00 PM
And here's the celebrated event in pictorial form:

I am SO glad I save almost everything when it comes to building a layout or models. Here is the entire sum total of the leftover flex track since beginning to lay track some months ago. (I think I purchased 20 bundles in all):

(Note: The engine on the desk top track sits on Atlas code 83 sectional track, not Shinohara code 70.)

The Hut and my computer room are all spruced up (cleaned) and ready for the troops. I shall now attend to some small piddly things that I can find out there and in here.

Andre
OK Hogger Posted - 07/17/2019 : 12:13:09 PM
clickety-click-clickety-click-click-clickety...

"DONE!"

OK Hogger Posted - 07/16/2019 : 10:25:27 PM
Thanks Bob for your kind words.

Mike: I'm a' tryin'!

Dave: Actually, most times I enjoy it. Tonight was not one of those times.

It's literally going to come down to the last gap to close to see if I have enough track to finish the stage. I will find that out sometime during the morning as I finish using up the track on hand. I was so hoping to not have to purchase another bundle, however I don't want to be totally out of track, for I know there will come ideas as to track improvements/betterments as time goes along.

Ah well, 'tis what it 'tis.

So, within the next week or so, I'll probably get a bundle headed my way to stock pile.

Andre
deemery Posted - 07/16/2019 : 7:48:05 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

Thanks for the updates. Happy tracklaying.

Mike

I'm not sure "happy" and "tracklaying" belong in the same sentence

dave
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/16/2019 : 7:01:09 PM
Thanks for the updates. Happy tracklaying.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 07/16/2019 : 5:49:26 PM
Humble beginnings leading to greatness

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000