Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 131 ]  [ Total: 136 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 Projects in Progress on the Southern Central RR

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Michael Hohn Posted - 10/25/2014 : 9:53:52 PM
With its shorter days and days off, this time of the year tempts the modelmaker to start new projects. I try to resist temptation by beginning the new year with fewer unfinished projects on my desk.

One that has gone unfinished for too long is my model of a Central of Vermont boxcar, actually a modified BTS laser kit of a PRR 28' boxcar. Today it went through the paint shop.

Next step: Art Griffin decals.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ensign Posted - 09/15/2019 : 11:29:55 AM
Mike, your coal shed scene just keeps getting better with each piece that you add.
Will you add a scale platform at the entrance?

Greg Shinnie
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/15/2019 : 11:25:33 AM
Thank you. Pete!
Orionvp17 Posted - 09/15/2019 : 10:52:35 AM
Very nicely done, Mike!

Pete
in Michigan
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/15/2019 : 10:20:58 AM
All structures comprising the coal shed are finished, including the main shed, office, fences and gate. My habit is to work on several projects simultaneously, so I'll build some wagons as a break from doing something like scenery. Anyway, here are some photos. First, an overall view:

The entrance end:

I need to work in more scenery: brush, weeds etc.

From the other end:

The name of the company is from a Sanborn insurance map of the period. "Loyalsock" is a coal region along the Lehigh Valley Railroad. Railroads and coal dealers often branded their product by mining region, for example "Scranton Coal" sold by the DL&W.

Again, I need to do more to work the structures into the scenery. Meanwhile I am doing some track planning for the other, Pennsylvania end of my layout, looking at getting another locomotive going, and generally improving the looks of the whole layout.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/04/2019 : 8:48:31 PM
Pete,

Iím more and more inclined to agree.

And thanks for the suggestion.

Mike

Orionvp17 Posted - 09/04/2019 : 8:24:36 PM
Mike,

For whatever it's worth, I'll vote for rotating the building 90 degrees to the right, leaving the door and two windows facing the yard, and extending the fence from the building to the fascia. That should also allow you to put a fence post at the fascia and have a strong(ish) and credible fence.

Observe Rule One.

Pete
in Michigan
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/04/2019 : 8:16:20 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gill

The office looks good, Mike. Would the door be on the long wall facing inside the fenced yard? Or perhaps a door on each long wall?
What about the possibility of adding a couple of fence planks between the office and the edge of the layout if you don't think that would be too fragile?

Bill, thank you for the kind words, questions and suggestions.

Interesting question about doors. I designed the building to actually sit 90 degrees to what you see in the last photo, the end wall with two windows facing out to the street, the door facing into the yard. (i.e. the way it sits in the next to last photo.) Then I turned the building and liked what I saw, but now thereís no door into the yard and Iím not sure I want to cut an opening for a new one. I can picture disaster. Iíll probably go back to the original plan. The windows next to the door would look out on a set of scales. Iíve little idea what they would look like, so Iíll need to go to an article I recall being in MR. Any ideas?

I like your suggestion of a short length of fence to the edge of the layout.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/04/2019 : 8:02:21 PM
quote:
Originally posted by railman28

What Happen to that nice office you had?!! I guess this one is more appropriate fir a coal yard. It's well executed. I understand your frustration with the shingles too, though it's not a problem for my more rural setting.

Bob

Bob,
Thank you. The first building will return to being a doctorís office in a residential yet to be built.

Yes, the rustic shingles are indeed appropriate to your setting. I do understand that most modelers are creating more rustic scenes than mine and thereís more market demand for the down-home look.

Mike
Bill Gill Posted - 09/04/2019 : 4:11:11 PM
The office looks good, Mike. Would the door be on the long wall facing inside the fenced yard? Or perhaps a door on each long wall?
What about the possibility of adding a couple of fence planks between the office and the edge of the layout if you don't think that would be too fragile?
railman28 Posted - 09/04/2019 : 3:08:02 PM
What Happen to that nice office you had?!! I guess this one is more appropriate fir a coal yard. It's well executed. I understand your frustration with the shingles too, though it's not a problem for my more rural setting.

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/04/2019 : 2:37:28 PM
I patterned dimensions of an office after the stand-in structure, but the detailing--while period-appropriate--will be simpler, more commercial. The walls cut out and painted:

I later repainted the body color to a darker gray.

The walls repainted, trim applied, weathered a little, and assembled:

I see I have some paint touch-up to do on the castings.

The roof is on . . .

. . . and shingles applied:

Shingles are a light card product from Bar Mills. Unfortunately, like so many similar products, the edges of these shingles are irregular, I guess to give them a rustic look. In real life, that would not be; photos show nice uniform rows of shingles. The irregular ones I'll leave to the backwoods. I trimmed the edges that would show, brushed some stain on the raw edge, and glued the strips down as uniformly as possible. I left a little irregularity, but much less than the product as bought.

I need to add glass to the windows and I'll be done with the office.

Mike

Michael Hohn Posted - 09/01/2019 : 12:25:45 PM
quote:
Originally posted by deemery

The gate looks great, and period-appropriate!

dave

As you know, period-appropriateness is what Iím after. Thank you.

Mike
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/01/2019 : 12:23:49 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Orionvp17

OK, since neither Bill, Greg nor Frank have taken the shot, I will....

Great gate!

Sorry, but it needed to be said. And I really do like the way this is coming out. Coal, grunge powders and wagons will all add to the ambience, but this is a winner right now.

Pete
in Michigan

Thanks, Pete. I know itís hard to hold these things back, to be a gatekeeper on a witty comment, so to speak.

Ambiance, yes. Bit by bit.

Mike
deemery Posted - 09/01/2019 : 11:30:43 AM
The gate looks great, and period-appropriate!

dave
Orionvp17 Posted - 09/01/2019 : 11:29:50 AM
OK, since neither Bill, Greg nor Frank have taken the shot, I will....

Great gate!

Sorry, but it needed to be said. And I really do like the way this is coming out. Coal, grunge powders and wagons will all add to the ambience, but this is a winner right now.

Pete
in Michigan

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000