|T O P I C R E V I E W
||Posted - 07/20/2016 : 6:10:20 PM
This thread groups together the various rolling stock posts have made on the forums. Future posts will be added to this thread to keep everything in one place.
Here are the links to the earlier posts:
HO Civil War gondola project
Freelanced 'homebuilt' boxcar
Pulp Fiction: two freelanced cars for the C&V RR
Two HO gondola pulpwood loads
three bobbers for the C&V
|15 L A T E S T R E P L I E S (Newest First)
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 10:13:11 AM
Mike, That's is something I want to experiment with. Right now I have a decal that I plan to GENTLY sand with vertical strokes before applying it to a structure to see if that will help create a weathered look.
The other thing I'd like to try is creating some of the weathering before the decal is printed. Here's a rough approximation of that:
The top image is a normal type font. The second one below that is a Letterbashed version of the font to fit that particular wall.
This last image was an early experiment to fade and weather the first version above before it would be made into a decal. It was done by selectively erasing parts of the lettering which are on a transparent layer above the brick wall photo so the wall showed through in various degrees. The idea was to then print that layer as a decal and see how it looked actually applied to a structure. I haven't done that yet.
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 09:24:59 AM
The decals look like they are painted on, which of course is what you want. Sometimes you can break rules and get away with it.
Thin decals yield an immediate weathered look. Wouldn’t it be nice if we could order decals that way? Seems to depend on how they are made.
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 08:29:21 AM
Thanks, Mike, Frank and Greg. The C&V has some "normal" boxcars, and it's fun to have a few "others' too.
The decals are very thin and really good, but it was a lot of work applying them over the flat paint on the car siding. Lots of "silvering" underneath them that had to be covered up with more paint after several applications of Solvaset reached the point of diminishing returns.
I expected this, but decided that was better than first applying a gloss coat on the car. That changed the look of the mottled brown colors in an experiment on scrap siding. The A.B. BRAKE decals on the smooth satin fishbelly side sills went on very nicely and the edges were barely visible even before a bit of Solvaset. The same decals went onto the BOROLEUM tank car very nicely too.
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 08:11:59 AM
Bill, I think that looks wonderful!
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 07:50:42 AM
Bill, I love to see these not to often modeled cars and it looks like you have done a bang-up job of it.
||Posted - 10/10/2018 : 07:45:00 AM
Sure has a strange look to it but nice strange.
||Posted - 10/09/2018 : 5:54:33 PM
Ah, one of those cars from the Period of Uncertainty, when car builders were saying to each other “I used to know what a boxcar is supposed to look like but I’m just not sure anymore.”
||Posted - 10/09/2018 : 1:41:27 PM
I finally designed some decals for the Connecticut & Vermont RR and recently got them printed. I tried to cover several different changes in style that could have occurred over time to give the railroad some history.
Starting on page 7 of this thread and hopping to page 20, then 22, showed a kitbash of an old car still in captive service on the layout. Got one shot of it today while the sun was out.
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 11:20:58 AM
Thanks, Carl, we cross posted there :)
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 11:19:09 AM
Bernd, the mugginess and heat returned last night after the rain stopped, so more weed whacking & brush cutting here rather than tuning up fat water equipment here. Hope you get to do some modeling when your 1:1 projects get finished.
Chuck, Thanks. If you have any questions about the rivets or anything else, feel free to ask.
Greg, Thanks. good to hear from you!!
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 11:18:21 AM
I agree with Greg.
Very nice work Mr. Gill.
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 11:02:24 AM
Bill, I've been missing all of the action, while you've been tanking up here.
Fantastic results on your upgrades to your Boroleum tank car.
Your attention to detail is always inspiring!
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 10:45:58 AM
I only picked up on your thread about five pages, ago. First of all, that tank car is terrific.
Bernd's idea of reviewing the whole thread gave me the idea to do the same. And, on the first page, you talk about using thick CA or JB Weld epoxy to add rivets. That was as far as I got. When I get bold enough, I will go back and read page 2. I think it is going to take me a while to go through it all!
||Posted - 09/11/2018 : 08:59:57 AM
Just surfed through the 25 pages reviewing all the projects you've done. Quite a motivator to do some rolling stock modeling, but that won't happen until the first "fat water" (aka - snowflakes) falls. Right now I'm working on a 1:1 house project, like fixing the heating system. Chance to do some soldering of copper pipes. Then it's on to fixing the "fat water blower" (aka- snow blower). Rather depressing but surfing through your posts brings eternal hope that I get back to some serious modeling come the northeast cold season. Keep up the great inspirational work.
||Posted - 09/10/2018 : 4:38:08 PM
Bob, I think there's a cloud of mishaps hanging over this project like it did over Joe Btfsplk and you simply momentarily got pulled under too :)