Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 324 ]  [ Total: 327 ]  [ Newest Member: Katie360 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 treefoliage made out of gardenpond/aquariumfibers

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
scotchpine Posted - 09/15/2008 : 06:19:49 AM
Actualy this is a reply on a post in a thread in the "crew lounge" and after watching carefuly what is was going about( the : crew lounge") I decided it would be better to put this post overhere...( I think

Poly fibers are just great materials to make the "green stuff" on any layout, O HO or N even Z..
They are made in several colors but I think you mostly have to "paint" those fibers because of the non-natural colors of it
I use the fibers too but I cut them first in very small parts( about 1/2 an inch), collect them in a large ( shoe)box and add /glue them on the frames by praying glue on the outsides of the twigs/branches..than directly after that: add some fine grassfibers at/over the outside of the braches with fibers and last: adding the leafs with a teasieve, like Ws fine turf in N/Z scale or coarse turf for HO scale. Also the leafs from Noch can ce used/glued on the colored fibers..
Any tree can be made by these fibers!
like a (Fagus) beechtree:

or Betula( birch) trees:

shrubs and firtrees:

Jos
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
scotchpine Posted - 02/12/2020 : 4:43:43 PM
A "winter"tree H0 about 20 cm/8 inches
by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153065234@N07/]Jos Geurts[/url], on Flickr

2 0 scale trees, 10-12 inches
[/url]populieren 0 scalen[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/153065234@N07/]Jos Geurts[/url], on Flickr

and grandpoa trying to find his wallet again...
Jos Geurts, on Flickr

Jos
scotchpine Posted - 01/23/2020 : 4:56:39 PM
@ Gary G:
quote:
There is a mix of 20 meter, or so, pines and birch.

I have relatives/friends living in Kobylin and there are also alot!! of scots pine and birches!! so beautiful and BIG ones!
Please show some pictures from your - modelling- work!

jos
tx28 Posted - 01/23/2020 : 03:25:10 AM
I have been making test branches for scots pine using a barbecue skewer for the core. I can make a half dozen simple branches in a short time.

On them I have been testing strands from a wig, flax, hemp and human hair. So far the human hair is easiest to handle and looks best. And it is free. The barber shop and hair dresser have an unending supply.

I wash hair in an ultrasonic cleaner with dish detergent. It pulls out the lanolin and makes it easy to keep the strands separate. Wash it as you wish. Boiling it in soapy water is an option.

Plumbers flax is dipped in a mix of acrylic paint pigment and water. I get the pigment in small bottles at the building supply. It makes the flax easy to work.

And for anyone making bottle brush trees or bushes as well as trees shown in this thread, cut short strands of hemp rope and put them in boiling water. They straighten right out. No need to untwist and comb. Boil, dry, cut.

The strands of flax and hemp may also be useful on birch and willow. That I will test once I perfect my scots pines.

The pines I want to make will, in HO scale, replicate those on the edge of a pine forest where my wife's parents live. There is a mix of 20 meter, or so, pines and birch. Some are in the front yard and some across the dirt access road. I will sit on the porch and try to duplicate a bunch of them.

Maybe tilting at windmills. But that is what a lot of modeling is about.
scotchpine Posted - 01/22/2020 : 2:08:19 PM
Oke now I see...
Yes those birchtrees are made yeeeears ago.
Specialy for the smaller/younger ones one wire will do!
In H0 scale ,when using 0,35mm or 0,4 mm diameter, you can use 2 wires. My experience when using 0,6 mm diameter in H0 one wire will do!( 0,6 plus primer plus paint= 0,8 mm at the end so in real: about +6cm! so a "small" branch!
Btw just make a start and look for yourselve what the result(s) will be!
Just make a part of the tree: a branch and add some fibres...do this with different lengts of fibres.
So 5 or 7 "test"branches to find out how these Fibres "behave"/ look

Jos
tx28 Posted - 01/22/2020 : 10:33:47 AM
On page 3 you show a group of armatures. http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011&whichpage=3

The birch has some thick branches coming off the main trunk. They do not look like the single loops shown in the tutorials.

How were these thick branches made?

Thank you.
scotchpine Posted - 01/20/2020 : 5:31:43 PM
Hello Gary,

The long "wig"fibres for a Birch are added by hand!
Also the 12 mm and the 2 mm. Not Litteraly but I use a strainer to spread the 12 mm regular.
Blow them aal with a hairblower down and finaly the leaves....also from out/with a strainer

Jos
tx28 Posted - 01/20/2020 : 06:22:58 AM
Now how do I add the fibers and leaves? What fibers? Is a static grass applicator used?
scotchpine Posted - 01/20/2020 : 02:37:58 AM
Hello Gary,

quote:
I am comfortable with making the armatures for each of these.

Any pictures?
Indeed there is just one single branch(wire in our case...)
In real those branches ( mostly!) are very thin.Specialy "young" trees.

Jos
tx28 Posted - 01/20/2020 : 01:14:56 AM
Thank you for the detailed guidance on making this tree.

I live in an area dominated by scots pine and birch. I am comfortable with making the armatures for each of these.

How exactly do you add the branches to a birch armature? There is but a single branch without the multiple catch points on other armatures.

Do you have a picture sequence or step by step guide for a birch?

Thank you.
scotchpine Posted - 01/19/2020 : 10:37:16 AM
Hello Gary,

yes indeed first spray carefuly the outside of the perephery of the tree- NOT the trunk and inside close to the "main"branches, with sprayglue.
Add the fibers by hand! just very little !

and hello Philippe! very nice picture! I was wondering first...how come?????.....=)
Btw the trees are about 8-12 cm
tx28 Posted - 01/19/2020 : 09:46:26 AM
Thank you for the information.

One followup question. When adding the straight, black Halloween wig fibers. How did you do that? Did you just spray the branches and then drop them on the branches?
CandPS Posted - 01/19/2020 : 07:21:50 AM
Hi Jos, thank you for the great clinic yesterday.

Philippe

Below some N scale spruce trees Jos mentioned above.

scotchpine Posted - 01/18/2020 : 2:34:15 PM
Yesterday afternoon I made some N scale kind of sitkaspruce trees....well sort of. they will be improved!
They should look small and loooong and have to be made within 5 minutes each:
Took the picture when the tree was "dry"last evening in the kitchen with my handy:
Jos Geurts, on Flickr

scotchpine Posted - 01/18/2020 : 2:27:36 PM
Hello Gary,

The "trunk"is made of a piece of boxwood that in real was the "base" of this shrub.
I cut of the twigs. Twigs/branches smaller than 4 mm were removed/cut of totaly. The bigger ones were saved and used as "anchors"for the branches made of twisted wires 0,4 mm.
Drill small holes to attach the wired frames of the separate branches . The glue I use is cheap ca glue! just 2 drops will do.
When ready with attaching all the brnches primer the tree.
when dry add the white glue( deluted with just some drops of water...) and add very fine sawdust with a sieve( strainer?)!
For the smal branches 1 x ...the bigger ones 2, or even 3 x.
Also the trunk did get some sawdust.
when fry I painted the frame that is covered with sawdust with modeling paste . the small stiff brush has to be very worn out so it will make nice small "grooves/fissures in the paste like bark!
sometimes you have to repeat this step .
when dry too you can colour the frame with or acrylic paints or oil paints.
After these steps add the fibres with a static gras applicator. BUT......the first layer of fibres are fibres from a halloween wig!
I prefere the completely straigt black ones. Chopped them in "lengths"of max. 1 inch .
To attach the fibres I use sprayglue.
This tree had 4 layers of Fibres:
1 the halloween wig fibres
2 x 12 mm fibres
and finaly some 6 mm.

Jos
tx28 Posted - 01/18/2020 : 10:17:32 AM
Hello,

On this page http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23011&whichpage=48 I would appreciate it if you would be so kind as to take the time to tell me exactly the steps that you took to add the branches to Grove Den 2019 to get to Grove Den 2020.

I am comfortable with my armatures but not with the branches. What materials did you use? How were they applied? Did you use a static grass applicator at any time?

I am concerned only with the branches and not the bark.

Thank you for the time and help.
Gary G

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000