Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 87 ]  [ Total: 92 ]  [ Newest Member: Davidsamuels ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 rusty stumps o scale backwoods water tower

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kebmo Posted - 03/06/2017 : 10:54:40 AM
once i finish up the bed breakfast (today) i plan on starting on the backwoods water tower next.
has anyone on this forum built this kit? i'm nervous about starting it because the included templates are in H.O. and not O so if there's anyone that's built this and has any tips, i would really appreciate them.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kebmo Posted - 03/26/2017 : 4:14:21 PM
what i decided to do about the splits in the tank siding is to fill them with wood putty and then try to blend the coloring. if it's too ugly on the inside of the tank i will simply build a cover for the tank.
fingers crossed that the putty does the job.

has anyone noticed any issued with posting the past few days?
yesterday i composed a post and there was no option to attach a file.
i also posted congrats to greg shinnie (ensign) and that post didn't even post.
i logged off the site (for the first time since joining 7 or 8 years ago) and logged back on and the option to attach a file was back, but the congrats to greg pfft...gone.
kebmo Posted - 03/25/2017 : 10:16:17 PM
i posted this once and it never appeared in the thread. anyway, this is what's got me so frustrated with the kit:

what i don't understand is, why wouldn't you change the diameter of the tank to accomodate two siding panels instead of leaving a gap? or...make the siding panels a bit longer so that two will cover the tank. there's a third panel in the kit so i can splice it in, but why? it's frustrating, aggravating work that isn't necessary.
i'm not complaining, though it probably sounds like i am...i'm just really frustrated.
when i get this issue straightened out and it's all glued up i'm gonna hit the upper part of the tank with some more of the ochre to light it up just a bit more.

the siding split in 6 or 7 places too. i'm not sure how i can mask that. does anyone have any good suggestions? please?
Craig H Posted - 03/25/2017 : 8:14:36 PM
I have 2 of His backwoods water tower kit's sitting on the shelf so following along on this build.
kebmo Posted - 03/25/2017 : 6:11:37 PM
now that the bed and breakfast is off my bench, i got back to this kit. i have to say, i'm experiencing a great deal of frustration with the tank siding. after following the instructions i had it rubber banded around a jar that was slightly smaller than the tank formers. when i dampened it again and removed it from the jar after 3 or 4 days, i started the process of gluing it to the tank formers and dampening it as i go i still managed to split the siding in 7 different places. i'm not sure how i'm going to be able to mask that.....
and then there's this:
no there isn't. something is goofy with the text window and there's no option to attach a file.
kebmo Posted - 03/15/2017 : 3:12:48 PM
before work this morning i managed to cut the deck boards and detail the ends of the boards (again). i went through two chisel blades making these cuts and i knocked a couple of the pilings off, so they've all been reattached and the foundation logs have been reinstalled:

now that that's finished i can move on to the tank siding. hopefully i can get to that saturday.
kebmo Posted - 03/14/2017 : 9:04:41 PM
you missed me doing something real dumb. stupid even. i just about have all of my mistakes cut off. had to take a break. (it's nerve wracking work...) i only have 15 more cuts to make and one side to sand. then i get to re-detail 46 board ends (for the second time...arrrgh)
as for walt's kit, it's a very cool kit. i just finished reading the construction manual again just to make sure i'm on the right track.
i think i'm going to tackle the tank siding tonight and leave the cuts for the weekend.
stay tuned....
Carl B Posted - 03/14/2017 : 6:52:27 PM
Still hanging in there with ya Kevin....

Surprised to hear about this issue with Walt's kit... Or did I miss something?
kebmo Posted - 03/14/2017 : 5:15:50 PM
dave,
the deck boards in my kit were 32 scale feet long. like a dope i didn't check the template until after they were all glued down, so now i'm cutting them to length. lesson learned.
mabloodhound Posted - 03/14/2017 : 4:58:29 PM
You should have had enough correct length boards to finish that deck. The longer ones were for use elsewhere. However I was short a couple of the deck boards and used some of my scrap I had on hand.
I did not have to trim any deck boards to length.

All the boards were color coded and in separate bags so they should have worked out. I did an inventory for Walt when I built the kit but he may have not gotten everything corrected.

NO, I do NOT need the templates back. Save them for the next guy.

Philip Posted - 03/14/2017 : 11:50:38 AM
No Kevin, Just hope the off fall is not needed elsewhere. Looking great!

Carry On!

Philip
kebmo Posted - 03/14/2017 : 08:24:40 AM
and now for another installment of "stupid modeler tricks":
walt's construction manual didn't specify what length to cut the decking planks on the tank stand, so i decided to install the boards full size and trim them later. the instructions only say to make sure that they overhang equally on both sides. so....
i let one side overhand 1 1/2" with the intention of cutting the other side to that length. then i stumbled across the template and discovered that the overhang on both sides is 1/2". after a brief experiment with a certain version of french, i painstakingly began the slow process of marking and cutting the boards to a 1/2" overhang. it's a slow grind because it's 24 difficult cuts on both sides. and i spent so much time detailing the ends of the boards.....
guess i'll have to do that again now.

i cut a piece of 1/2" stock that i had to use as a cutting guide:

pretty damn dumb, huh?
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/13/2017 : 11:44:34 PM
Kevin, thank you for the tutorial. I plan to give it a try.

Mike
kebmo Posted - 03/13/2017 : 2:47:55 PM
dave,
my paper wrapper doesn't make it all the way to the end of the 2nd siding panel, but that said, walt did say the the siding panels are larger now, so that may not matter. it's actually 3/4" shorter than the right end of the second panel. he emailed me this morning asking me to help him inventory the kit because the O scale version may need updating so i intend to mention that to him.
would you like me to return your templates when i'm finished with the kit?
mabloodhound Posted - 03/13/2017 : 1:08:35 PM
Glad the templates made it OK.

It took me about 2 1/2 pieces of siding. My strip of paper was long enough to go around the form.
As I said, I only glued two panels to the paper strip around the salt canister form. After dry, I glued those two to the RSSM tank assembly round frame. I then held the third panel up to the remaining space(which I had also formed the curve into the 3rd panel).
I marked the spot where to cut the panel length to fit into the space remaining. A little long is OK as you can sand it later to fit.

kebmo Posted - 03/13/2017 : 08:08:09 AM
thanks rich. i'll hopefully get to that point tonight or tomorrow

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-14 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000