Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 6 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 106 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: Marshallx ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Small Scale Model Railroad Forum
 TT scale Otter Creek Falls Coal & Lumber Rwy

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Bernd Posted - 10/23/2015 : 8:14:00 PM
I’ve been contemplating the building of a TT scale layout for quite some time now. The original plan was to build the first section and see if I could get it published in one of the major railroad publications. I have instead decided to do an SBS (step by step) and post it to two other forums besides Rail Line Forum, TTnut and Model Railroad Hobbyist.

It’ll be a “sectional layout”. By sectional I mean a part of one scene will be completely built before the second section is started. It will not be based on any modular concept design. I don’t plan on being able to add on to other modules. It will be a strictly stand alone railroad.

I already have two plans on paper for the first two sections. The first section will be based on Chuck Yungkurth’s Gum Stump & Snowshoe Railroad published in the April 1966 issue of Model Railroader. The first and second section will represent a logging line. The third will be a coal mining operation.

I’m going to try a light weight construction technique so the sections can be taken to local trains shows for display.

So let the fun begin in the next post.

Bernd

15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bernd Posted - 06/13/2017 : 08:28:51 AM
quote:
Originally posted by David Clark

Bernd,
I couldn't link to the article on TOMA you wrote about but it seems like a good concept. I guess you don't have to have everything planned out for all the modules but do you have a set position for tracks to enter and leave the modules or are they meant to be only set up one way? Looking good! Your machining and building skills are fantastic!
Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave,

Joe started the article in the E-zine last year. That would be a good place to start. He's putting the series on video and presenting it on TrainMasters TV. It costs to view, but there are articles written in the e-zine about it. Here's were he introduces the concept. BTW the E-zine is free. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2015-10-oct/publishers-musings You can then follow the posts from this subject. You can search the e-zine by typing in "toma" (without quotes) in the search box on the upper right hand of the forum.

I think it's a great idea. You can plan a complete railroad that can be permanently built, but still be able to be taken apart and taken with you when you move. I'm looking at the possibility of set ups at shows.

And thank you for the kind words. They are appreciated.

Bernd
David Clark Posted - 06/12/2017 : 11:43:38 PM
Bernd,
I couldn't link to the article on TOMA you wrote about but it seems like a good concept. I guess you don't have to have everything planned out for all the modules but do you have a set position for tracks to enter and leave the modules or are they meant to be only set up one way? Looking good! Your machining and building skills are fantastic!
Cheers, Dave
Bernd Posted - 06/12/2017 : 3:34:49 PM
Track laying has begun on the Logging Engine Terminal module.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 03/18/2017 : 6:33:42 PM
Added another page showing how I'm going to make the turnouts for the engine terminal module.

http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET-2.html

Enjoy.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 03/02/2017 : 11:58:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Bernd my layout is being built the same way, not because I want to take anything to a show (we don't have any shows close to here) but I want to be able to easily take it apart and put it back together if I should move. Also as you said you don't get overwhelmed trying to build everything at once. The Murphy portion I'm currently working on is my final section.

Great. One reason for taking to shows is I'd like to see TT scale become a viable scale to fill the gap between N and HO. Just like S scale fills the void between HO and O.

There's a couple of shows close by, plus I have a good friend that sells at shows. I usually share a table with him. It draws a crowd to his table when I bring something like an animated crane or just to display something.

Bernd
Tyson Rayles Posted - 03/02/2017 : 07:59:55 AM
Bernd my layout is being built the same way, not because I want to take anything to a show (we don't have any shows close to here) but I want to be able to easily take it apart and put it back together if I should move. Also as you said you don't get overwhelmed trying to build everything at once. The Murphy portion I'm currently working on is my final section.
Bernd Posted - 03/02/2017 : 07:51:55 AM
quote:
Originally posted by adrian_batey

Hi Bernd, Thats why i have been following along with this one. I wan't to tackle something like this in HO Scale. I would like the idea of an additional module to the left with a run around and other facilities for the camp.

Great then, tag along and use anything you find of interest to build your layout. I'm going to be posting shorter posts here on the forum with a link to my website for further details just for the fact that it takes more time to post duplicate posts to other forums and trying to keep up to date on the website.

Bernd
adrian_batey Posted - 03/01/2017 : 10:51:20 PM
Hi Bernd, Thats why i have been following along with this one. I wan't to tackle something like this in HO Scale. I would like the idea of an additional module to the left with a run around and other facilities for the camp.
Bernd Posted - 03/01/2017 : 9:14:09 PM
Thanks for stopping in guys. Appreciated.

This will be the first of five modules. The Gum Stump & Snow show will be part of the group of five. The module concept is called "TOMA", The "One Module" Approach. Each module will be completed before the next one gets started. This way you build your "Large" empire a bit at a time. It won't over whelm you when it is built all at once. If you're interested in reading more about this concept go here: http://www.kingstonemodelworks.com/LET.html and click on the TOMA Principle link.

I'll up-date my web site with what the other modules will look like. Each module can then be linked by, I'll call them connection modules, to each other to form a larger model railroad. This way any module can be disconnected and be taken to a show or swap meet. It's kind of like the Free-Mo module concept, but based on a home layout.

Bernd
adrian_batey Posted - 03/01/2017 : 6:11:12 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Tyson Rayles

Are you not going to have a run around track?

Mike was thinking the same thing when looking at the plan. thought it would be a nice module as part of a future layout for myself
Tyson Rayles Posted - 03/01/2017 : 09:11:21 AM
Are you not going to have a run around track?
Michael Hohn Posted - 03/01/2017 : 08:10:36 AM
Bernd,

Rather exciting watching you switch to a different track. No gleam of brass like I got used to seeing in your projects. It'll be the shine of nickel-silver before long.

Everything so far looks well engineered.

Mike
Bernd Posted - 03/01/2017 : 07:39:04 AM
While waiting for track supplies I started to lay out the track plan. All the track and turnouts will need to be built from scratch as there are no suppliers of Code 55 flex track or commercial turnouts.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 02/23/2017 : 07:54:36 AM
quote:
Originally posted by robert goslin

Bernd, that is some stunning bench-work. Real furniture grade craftsmanship.
I like the screws. I've seen them advertise that jig on TV here. Guess you're happy with it.

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated.

I saw these used by Joey Ricard of Trackside Scenery. Here's the video where he uses the Kreg Pocket screw system.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DhYqE3bnao

I had seen this system back a few years ago. I never thought it was a very strong system of holding wood together. But to my amazement it's quiet strong. You can still add glue if you want to. What's great about this system is it's easy to take apart and put back together again as he shows in his video. So yes, I'm very happy with this system.

Bernd
robert goslin Posted - 02/23/2017 : 02:54:52 AM
Bernd, that is some stunning bench-work. Real furniture grade craftsmanship.
I like the screws. I've seen them advertise that jig on TV here. Guess you're happy with it.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000