Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 108 ]  [ Total: 110 ]  [ Newest Member: Bigbandito ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 Rebuilding the CB&Q in Wyoming

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Brunton Posted - 12/01/2016 : 12:11:08 PM
I'm Ba-a-a-a-ck!
Much sadder and little if any wiser, but I'm back.

As it turns out, I'll be moving back to my house in Merchantville NJ in either a couple months of about a year and a half (I'll know in a couple weeks). I just know I will be moving back.

With that knowledge comes early planning for a new layout.

I thought briefly about rebuilding the version of the Q that I was originally constructing in the house, but that is probably way too much railroad to tackle at this point (thinking back, it probably always was. That's where "little wiser" comes in).

Just a couple weeks ago, as I was first contemplating a new layout, I saw the "Country RRoads" modular layout at a train show in Charleston SC. I was blown away - I've never seen modules that assembled into a really cohesive layout before. I've seen great modules, yes, but never a whole series of them that "seamlessly" assembled into a great layout.

Here's a link to their website.http://www.countryrroadsmodular.com/

I'm going to try to apply many of their techniques in constructing my new home layout. My new layout will be much different than my old, massive earlier versions were. It won't be portable, I think, but it will benefit greatly from the modular approach.

I still really like the operating potential of the older layout versions, and will try to capture a great deal of that in the new.

There will be much less working under the layout in the new version (an advantage of the modular approach), and there will be no behemoth helix this time around (Hmmm... maybe a nolix...).

This approach to layout design and construction is virgin territory for me, so as I progress in both planning and construction, please chime in and point out areas where I may be shooting myself in the foot, and areas of missed potential as I go.

Ready...
Set...
GO!
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
tloc Posted - 07/18/2019 : 4:11:37 PM
Mark it was always good to catch on your building either here or at MRH forums. I truly am surprised because you seemed to know what you were getting into by go back to NJ. But, surprises are part of life. I retired in 2014 and knew I didnít want anymore yard work. Purchased a duplex and turned one side into our sideline business offices. About a year later moved into the wifeís dream farmhouse. Since moved to a different place but each time something that surprised us was a good enough reason to move. Moving is tough, enjoy the process and report when you feel like it.

TomO
Brunton Posted - 07/18/2019 : 3:56:48 PM
Thanks for the compliments, Jerry and Rick!

And big changes are coming again.

Note: I'm not talking politics here; just hard data. So please don't anybody get upset.

When I moved to New Jersey last year, I intended to spend the rest of my days there, and started building what I thought would be my last layout (hopefully spending many years building and operating it). But it is not to be. Property taxes for my New Jersey home jumped significantly since May 2018, forcing me to begin looking at options.

I compared costs in New Jersey vs. costs in Wyoming (where I grew up) and found that the minimum reduction in taxes associated with moving to Wyoming will be nearly $18,000 a year! Pretty significant.

So earlier this month my wife and I went on a house hunting trip to Wyoming.

We wound up ordering a new house to be built in Casper. It will be finished in about six months.

That means, of course, disassembling the layout - again - and rebuilding in an as-yet-undefined new configuration in the new house.

So the current layout will be disassembled in the next month or so, and everything salvageable packed for moving.

So once again, the CB&Q in Wyoming is coming down. Early next year new construction will begin again. Until then...
Rick Posted - 06/06/2019 : 05:45:44 AM
Nice progress and videos.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 06/05/2019 : 8:20:29 PM
Looking pretty good Mark!
Brunton Posted - 06/05/2019 : 6:35:55 PM
Belated thanks for kind words, TomO and jbvb!

It's been a few months since I last posted here.

Work on the layout has been continuing. Here are the last three update videos:

April 2019: https://youtu.be/haEJrutlWk8
May 2019: https://youtu.be/ib-68n6ClRI
June 2019: https://youtu.be/XjKMCelUu3E

And in Late May I posted a first birthday video for the layout: https://youtu.be/gDYB7iBlyEU
jbvb Posted - 03/08/2019 : 12:15:04 PM
I continue to follow along - progress is good.
tloc Posted - 03/08/2019 : 10:43:26 AM
Mark, the video is very good. For being gone you still got a lot done. I did the same with my roundhouse years ago, glue the doors open. No one cares if they can close!

TomO
Brunton Posted - 03/08/2019 : 09:55:27 AM
It's been awhile since I posted here. Layout construction continues slowly.

Here's my latest update: https://youtu.be/yhI3vbMHYWU
Brunton Posted - 11/04/2018 : 08:19:03 AM
I've posted layout construction update video #5:

https://youtu.be/v-TdNgHhczQ
Brunton Posted - 10/10/2018 : 2:32:32 PM
Analyzing the Track Plan Part II is now available to view:

https://youtu.be/6JxsB9aSF_w
Brunton Posted - 10/03/2018 : 10:25:07 AM
Thanks Mike and Mark!

I just posted my October video update:

https://youtu.be/LdmTxJZnQJI

I'll be doing a lot of traveling and family stuff starting next week and running to Thanksgiving, so there won't be a video update in November.
MarkF Posted - 10/01/2018 : 11:17:57 PM
Mark, your making great progress. And I like your video updates as well.

Keep the updates coming. I'm watching!
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/29/2018 : 10:00:14 AM
Beautiful trackwork. Building a yard early in layout construction means you can have some of your rolling stock and motive power on display rather than in boxes.

Nice seeing such progress.

Mike

Brunton Posted - 09/29/2018 : 08:40:03 AM
Belated thanks for your comment, Mike. It's nice to know someone is watching!

Update: 29 September 2018

Classification area of the Casper yard is nearly complete, with the runaround track now operational:

The switch the loco is sitting on will lead to the engine servicing facilities, with the one behind it leading to the Standard Oil Refinery tank car loading racks. The far one will lead to the reefer icing facility behind the classification tracks.

I still need to install switchstands on the three switches off the runaround, and Hayes bumpers at the ends of all the tracks.

Once the turntable and roundhouse are installed, I'll be able to get those locos off the classification tracks!
Mike Hamer Posted - 09/03/2018 : 08:05:16 AM
Hi Mark, I really enjoyed watching the video and getting an update on your developments. You mentioned that it looks like little has been done, but we model railroad builders know that a ton of work, in fact, has been completed. The yard looks great! Love the look of that unit tank train as well. Also, it's nice to have loved ones involved with the development of a railroad. Nice to see your wife helping out with the installation of the ceiling. Looking forward to more progress!

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000