Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 9 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 240 ]  [ Total: 249 ]  [ Newest Member: Alex Italy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Micro & Mini Layouts
 Troy Tuit Works

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Larryc Posted - 11/08/2016 : 5:59:38 PM
Now that Fall is here, I thought that it would be a great time for a new layout. The inspiration for this came from an older layout that I found on-line some time ago called "Vulcan Iron Works". It was fantastic looking with a heavy industrial theme and a rather complex track plan. Although my track plan is much simpler, I hope to create the same type of feel.

The layout measures 31 x 12 inches and is made on 1 inch foam with a pine board frame which makes it very portable.

It's set sometime in the 1950's in the city of Troy, New York. Hence the name, Troy Tuit Works. People often say that "when you get a round tuit (to it)" you have something good.

Here are a few pics of Troy Tuit Works:

This time I did things a little differently; I tested each piece of track before laying it to make sure that it carried current really well. Each track is wired separately and along with the "sector plate", the critter runs very well. The only problem is that I end up playing trains instead of building; but I guess that's a good problem to have.

This was a quick cardboard mock-up to get a feel for the size and proportion of the buildings. The building with the doorway is the loading dock area while the back wall is actually the factory. The other one is the office. There will be another building at the other end to serve as a view-block, but I haven't decided what that will be just yet.

That's as far as I have done and I'll post more pics as I progress with this project. Any comments or suggestion are welcomed.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Larryc Posted - 10/18/2019 : 1:01:55 PM
Now that I'm retired from work I will have more time to devote to the hobby; that is in-between my "honey do lists" which have kept me quite busy over the past few months.
The tutorial on this forum was very helpful showing me how I could post pictures from my computer instead of trying to use a service. Thank you for that!!
When I get far enough along on my new layout, then I will be posting some pics to share with everyone.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 10/18/2019 : 07:59:52 AM
Good to hear you didn't drop out of the hobby and will be back at it on a new layout soon. Posting pics directly here is free and they will not disappear!
Larryc Posted - 10/17/2019 : 2:01:05 PM
Although Troy Tuit Works has gone by the wayside, I wanted to replace as many of the pics as possible. Photobucket wanted $54/year to re-focus my pictures; "that ain't happening". I managed to replace all but two of the pictures.
The other reason that I wanted to get the posting pictures figured out is because I will be posting some pics in the future of my new micro layout.
Larryc Posted - 02/13/2017 : 09:47:19 AM
Made some more progress on the layout, so I thought that I would share a couple of pics with you guys:

The loading dock was "bricked" inside and out as well as the factory wall. The shot was taken looking towards the loading dock, so the brick inside makes the building look more realistic. The wood beam over the doorway was put in place so that I can hang a sign from it. The vertical beams on the factory itself was put in place to break-up the "brick" some:

This is a birds-eye shot of the layout so far. The card is glued in place which will be finished shortly to look like concrete. I still need to glue card between the rails to hide the ties and put a roof on the building as well as a host of other things.
Thanks for looking.

Larryc Posted - 02/06/2017 : 4:52:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. Yes Vulcan Iron Works was a great looking layout. Even though my track plan is much simpler, I want to achieve that same industrial feel. Being that this is going to be a long term project, I was eager to take care of any problems even though it was a step backwards for a short time. Hopefully I'm back on the right track now. Will post more pictures soon. Thanks for looking.
Dutchman Posted - 02/06/2017 : 08:33:09 AM
Good progress, Larry. And yes, sometimes we have to take one step back before once again taking a step forward.

kumard Posted - 02/06/2017 : 12:33:15 AM
Foam core is nice material to use at this scale since it is self supporting. Btw I remember the Vulcan Ironworks layout. I have several pictures of it on my computer. I'll be very interested to see how this turns out. Keep up the good work.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 02/04/2017 : 12:40:44 PM
Good to see you are back on the right track again!
Larryc Posted - 02/04/2017 : 09:13:40 AM
To my amazement I've had a major warping problem with the back wall and also an issue with the pink foam being in two pieces. So my only option was to do a wee-bit of a do-over:

First off I cut a new single piece of foam-core for the back wall and re-enforced it with three pieces of eighth inch plywood glued and screwed to the frame. This is keeping the wall straight. Secondly I pulled up the track and put in a new single piece of pink foam into the frame. Also I pulled the track off of the paint stirrer sticks and glued it directly to the foam. Of course I also had to redo the sector plate. All in all I think that this arrangement will work out much better.

The buildings are all made out of foam-core glued together awaiting for the finish. The factory loading dock and office are on the left end of the layout and the sand house is on the right end of the layout. Also the craft sticks, which are glued to the foam, are the same thickness as the track ties so that the card-stock can go right to the rails. When this is finished it should look like concrete. That's where I'm at to date, any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

Larryc Posted - 11/15/2016 : 1:53:22 PM
K9wrangler....At Troy Tuit Works we only make the "round tuits", but you could try your luck on e-bay they may take some off your hands and your layout.
k9wrangler Posted - 11/15/2016 : 10:05:40 AM
Do they also make About Toits? I could sell them some extras I have. They're laying all about my layout.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/15/2016 : 07:31:42 AM
Larryc Posted - 11/14/2016 : 4:28:12 PM
Time for an update. Nothing screams, at least to me, industrial more than concrete. So I started on the left end of the layout where the two buildings are going to be. Here is a pic of the process:

Being that the sector plate track is mounted on a paint-stirrer-stick, this meant that the rest of the track would be mounted the same way for obvious reasons. So in order to bring the concrete up to rail level, I had to devise a way to accomplish this. By using sheets of balsa wood, which is easily cut with a hobby knife, and two layers of cardboard I was able to bring the concrete up to rail level as illustrated by the picture. The top layer of card was misted with grey spray paint until the card was completely covered. By misting on the paint, and letting it dry between coats, I was able to avoid the card warping or curling. Everything was glued into place with white glue. Here are a couple of shots of the finished product:

I still have add some cracks to the concrete as well as weather it some; but I'm quite happy with the result and the inset track look. My thinking is to add concrete in front of the factory and in between at least a couple of the tracks, but we shall see. That's about it for now. Will post more pics as I progress.

on30vince Posted - 11/12/2016 : 6:08:28 PM
I'll be following your build.

Vince
Tyson Rayles Posted - 11/09/2016 : 7:48:35 PM

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000