Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 122 ]  [ Total: 127 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Palmerston Ontario Coal Dock

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Artman Posted - 07/21/2015 : 8:24:06 PM
I'm building this all from scratch, so I'll be flying by the seat of my pants. That means I'm open to suggestions should anyone know of a better way of going about things.

And so it begins!
Step 1:

Getting under the Beast

The Coal Drop Zone! I figure I'll build her from the ground up. In my photo references of this area, the details are sparse, so I'm going on some of what I have seen (picture wise) of other such structures, and a good deal of guessing.

Printed off my drawings in HO scale and then measured, scribed, cut and stained this piece.

But I messed up . . . scribe lines were off a bit and missed a few crucial details.

So I bought an "Incra Ruler" that I stumbled across at "Lee Valley". The tiny holes in it mean you can use a pin or a technical pencil to mark for greater accuracy and speed!

And it worked like a charm!!!

second try . . .

Okay, I like how this turned out but the stain I used earlier went on much to uniformly, so I'll fiddle with that later, on a practice piece and then stain the real deal when I've got that down pat.

I'm going to measure and cut out all the remaining parts for this foundation piece before staining commences.

Now as I thought about this next part (the Bents under the structure), I decided to make a template . . . I think I've seen some fellows on this forum do something like this before.

and cut out the parts . . .

That's all for now.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Artman Posted - 02/20/2019 : 08:57:22 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Ensign

Rob, those are the nicest little arranged and counted piles of railroad ties I have ever seen!
Even the little pile of just 18 is cute.
Now it's what we do with those nice little arranged piles that really counts!
Get back to work!

Greg Shinnie

I hear you Greg . . .

It's been a slow build to be sure . . .

Currently I'm playing with the diorama's dimensions.

This measures 48 x 25 inches vs. the 36 x 20 inch, originally being considered.

Upside to this dimension is that I won't be cutting off any of the turnouts like I would be in the 36 x 20 one . . . downside however, is the size, it's getting clumsy big.

And so I'm thinking about which way to go with it.

As well, I just completed this detailed sketch for my YouTube video on the Sphinx sculpture. 4th Episode is nearly ready to be uploaded.

Many irons in the fire slow things down.

Artman Posted - 02/20/2019 : 08:36:49 AM
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Where a RR had the room, and expected employees to be working between tracks occupied by cars, they'd use 15 foot or even 16 foot track centers. If I was between two cuts of cars on 13' track centers, I'd need to turn sideways should one move unexpectedly, and I'd have a very tense interval if both sides were moving.

Tie spacing also varied with the expected speeds and loads on track. Over the last century, main line tie center-to-center distance shrank to the current 18" as equipment got heavier and speeds increased. But 22-24" is still used for light-duty track, and 1940s branch line yards might have used a few inches more. CN historical documents might have details.

Thank's James, that's great information from track side! I'll start looking around to connect with some CN historical sites on the internet, I could learn a few more things there no doubt!
Ensign Posted - 02/11/2019 : 6:43:04 PM
Rob, those are the nicest little arranged and counted piles of railroad ties I have ever seen!
Even the little pile of just 18 is cute.
Now it's what we do with those nice little arranged piles that really counts!
Get back to work!

Greg Shinnie
jbvb Posted - 02/11/2019 : 11:32:02 AM
Where a RR had the room, and expected employees to be working between tracks occupied by cars, they'd use 15 foot or even 16 foot track centers. If I was between two cuts of cars on 13' track centers, I'd need to turn sideways should one move unexpectedly, and I'd have a very tense interval if both sides were moving.

Tie spacing also varied with the expected speeds and loads on track. Over the last century, main line tie center-to-center distance shrank to the current 18" as equipment got heavier and speeds increased. But 22-24" is still used for light-duty track, and 1940s branch line yards might have used a few inches more. CN historical documents might have details.
Artman Posted - 02/10/2019 : 5:09:49 PM
Still calculating the Palmerston yard layout for my 36 x 20 inch diorama.

I began by comparing the Flex HO track Code 85, with the real stuff . . . visiting some Real Railroad tie making websites, the measurement of 9 inches wide 8 feet long was acquired. The HO flex track matches that exactly;as do the (HO scale) wooden ties in my possession.

I should (and I may) get out there with my tape measure and confirm this upon the tracks not far from where I live.

Until then however, I'll keep going with what I've presently found out. (I'm going to hand lay my tracks, so going full 'Prototype' is something I might consider doing) But, so far, it appears that the HO track is close to prototypical in all the ways that matter.

This piece measures exactly 36 inches . . . perfect measure from end to end of my diorama.

So . . . if I'm going to hand lay my track I counted 146 ties in this 36 inch flex track section.

Here's the yard with track to scale . . .

I callculate that I will need some 976 ties (give or take)

So I pulled out a bag-o-ties I'd purchased some years ago.

Counted 1018

Okay, so this is good

More later.
Artman Posted - 01/17/2019 : 7:21:16 PM
Thanks James,

That is interesting . . . considering I came up with 8 feet as a minimum distance between parallel rails, based on nothing more than that little model demo I shot above. The allowance of a man being able to walk between the cars somewhat safely was the logic I was toying with. Of course I suppose its no coincidence that working conditions would be taking the human factor into account along with the requirements of the rolling stock dimensions.

This is why I enjoy modelling as much as I do; you learn something new and interesting almost everyday!

jbvb Posted - 01/17/2019 : 2:03:08 PM
Hopper cars were often built smaller than the main line clearance diagram, because coal is denser than most things shipped in boxcars etc. The normal steam-era center-to-center minimum was 13 feet, leaving 8 feet 3.5 inches between two running rails.
Artman Posted - 01/16/2019 : 1:22:31 PM
Excellent, Thanks Bernd!
Bernd Posted - 01/16/2019 : 07:42:18 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Artman

I'm interested in what you guys know about the minimum distance between the rails in a freight yard.

While fiddling with the scale of my Palmerston Yard; I measured a minimum distance of 6 feet between two rails, but man, that's tight!

So I set things up here . . .

6 feet would not let this man walk between the cars without standing sideways . . . so I re-calibrated to 8 feet between the rails and this seems to work.

I wonder if the minimum distance had as much to do with being able to have a man walk between the cars as it did in avoiding cars clipping each other.

Anyway, just wondering if distances were arbitrary, what say you?

Rob,

NMRA minimum standard between straight tracks: https://www.nmra.org/s-8-track-centers

Scroll down to HO. It'll give you the standards.

Bernd
Artman Posted - 01/15/2019 : 7:17:11 PM
I'm interested in what you guys know about the minimum distance between the rails in a freight yard.

While fiddling with the scale of my Palmerston Yard; I measured a minimum distance of 6 feet between two rails, but man, that's tight!

So I set things up here . . .

6 feet would not let this man walk between the cars without standing sideways . . . so I re-calibrated to 8 feet between the rails and this seems to work.

I wonder if the minimum distance had as much to do with being able to have a man walk between the cars as it did in avoiding cars clipping each other.

Anyway, just wondering if distances were arbitrary, what say you?
Artman Posted - 01/10/2019 : 9:31:34 PM
Hi Terrell,
Funny thing you should bring that up,

Lance (DaVinci1953) was with Greg and I when I took that photograph and we saw the second door still bearing its Horseshoe over the lintel. Lance said he got raked over the coals for modeling a shed with the shoe facing as I drew it. Of course he took it all in good fun.

Here is that door . . .

The shoe was missing on the door that I drew, but you can still make out the faint outline of it on the wood. It's facing in the same way as the picture above.

I'm not doubting the logic of the shoe collecting luck scenario, but here is another one that might explain the shoe as seen over these doors; the Horseshoe stands for good luck and that luck is pouring down onto the hard working men going in and out of the freight shed (working for the Man) .
Terrell Posted - 01/10/2019 : 7:16:44 PM
The horseshoe is turned the wrong way. All of the luck will run out.
Artman Posted - 01/10/2019 : 7:08:05 PM

Here it is.

Ensign Posted - 01/10/2019 : 5:58:11 PM
Rob, that drawing looks excellent!
You should show the original, so that others can see how well you captured it.

Greg
Artman Posted - 01/10/2019 : 5:48:21 PM
Thanks, Greg,

Yes, I've got my eye on that roundhouse as well . . . been doing some exploratory drawings.

Here is a drawing just completed of that freight shed door we saw in Tavistock. Note the horseshoe over the door . . .

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000