Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 68 ]  [ Total: 71 ]  [ Newest Member: Coaltower ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The Coos Bay and Willamette Valley

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
railman28 Posted - 06/12/2012 : 02:00:55 AM
Most of this spring I've spent my hobby time on procurement and planning. My layout is about 23 years old and needs some love. It needs its scenery refreshed, a good cleaning, buildings repaired and track maintenance. All of which has been delayed by the knowledge that I wanted to change a few things to ease maintenance, improve running, improve presentation and be more correct for my time period. The biggest change to make the layout correct for my time period will be to replace all turnouts to stub points. But here is what my current track plan kinda looks like;

The layout layout currently doesn't have any Three way switches on it. This drawing was a planning sketch that most accurately shows my original layout.
This is what I hope it will become;

As you can see the most obvious change is the orientation of the turntable roundhouse. But also the passing track at Beaver Hill has been moved so that the south turnout is reachable for maintenance. The same reasoning lead to the log dump entry being moved.
This next view won't impress any of the fine craftsman here but it show me testing these drawing on the layout to see if they would actually work. It appears that they will;

The next step is to see exactly how much room my new turntable will take. So I will now take time to build it and escape the mud bog that planning can become. I'm using Freshwater Models' Sellers Turntable kit. Here's a progress shot;

As this kit is no longer made and Dave and Craig have already ran detailed building treads on this kit (which I have found very helpful) I'll just share progress shots here and then.
Any and all comments are welcomed.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
OK Hogger Posted - 02/19/2019 : 3:58:54 PM
Good to see you're still making progress on your project, Bob.

Andre

railman28 Posted - 02/18/2019 : 8:12:30 PM
Ryan, Thank you, I'm happy that you find my humble efforts helpful.

My efforts to learn Fusion 360 is proceeding smoothly. Here's a sample;

Please take note of the taper boiler section. Using Sketch-up to draw that was a real pain in the....Well you know. In Fusion 360 it was two clicks. This is version one, lots of details need to be added. I made some changes to make it printable and sent it to Shapeways so I can make sure it fits the brass boiler centers. It was really nice not having to covert file formats or us another program to fix the drawing. I hope I'm no counting my chickens....as I have not heard from the human checkers yet.

Enjoy
Bob
RyanAK Posted - 02/13/2019 : 09:37:47 AM
So much great information in your recent posts for me to absorb as I slowly plan a locomotive build. Thanks for sharing.
railman28 Posted - 02/12/2019 : 7:45:29 PM
to see my first fusion 360 drawing click hear;

https://a360.co/2Gow1zE
railman28 Posted - 02/12/2019 : 12:53:47 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

Nice drafting Bob. I believe Shapeways was sold recently.

Thanks a lot Frank. I do appreciate it.
On Shapeways, I don't know about their ownership. They started adjusting their business pro folio for about a year ago. The first thing they did was change their shipper to UPS/USPS which just added a day to the service. About six months a go they change the names of their materials and eliminated others.
I guess they didn't like people using the acronym FUD so they renamed it to Fine detail Plastic. I'm going to start referring to it as unFud. The materials they eliminated were IMHO inferior materials that I don't miss. Then in December came the price changes. They are not the only printing service out there and the changes have not annoyed me to the point that I'm think of dumping the Devil I know for one I don't.

Why do New Yorker's always get greedy?

Bob
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/12/2019 : 10:07:59 AM
Nice drafting Bob. I believe Shapeways was sold recently.
OK Hogger Posted - 02/12/2019 : 01:18:59 AM

Thanks for the info, Bob.

I'm looking forward to your impressions about its running characteristics once you reach that point.

Andre
railman28 Posted - 02/12/2019 : 12:55:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by OK Hogger

Bob:

What gearbox did you settle on? What ratio?

Eventually I will be needing to use a gearbox from some of my steam kits (Arbour) and projects.

Thanks.

Andre

28-1 Mod 3 Single Idler gear box.

perfect height to allow the motor line up Vertical to the track.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 02/11/2019 : 11:28:19 PM
Bob:

What gearbox did you settle on? What ratio?

Eventually I will be needing to use a gearbox from some of my steam kits (Arbour) and projects.

Thanks.

Andre
railman28 Posted - 02/11/2019 : 7:55:26 PM
I was having trouble with one of NWSL's gearboxes. The Idler gears had a dead spot in it from misformed teeth and in the process of Trying to fix the blind spot I destroyed the gear box. The gearbox was also giving me trouble because it was too tight on the driver axle and I didn't know how to handle that. Well, NWSL has an idiot guarantee (they call it a disaster plan) in which, they will replace what you screwed up. So I took them upon it and a week later I had new parts in the mailbox. In the meantime I was researching and asking around about how to fit the gearbox. Today I was finally able to work on the new gearbox but when I assembled the gearbox around some 1/8" axle stock I was delighted to find the axle stock spinning freely. Apparently NWSL had improved the product since I bought the gearbox.

Thank you NWSL.
railman28 Posted - 02/08/2019 : 01:29:19 AM
Thanks Andre,

I change some details and added others. I had to adjust a few walls as they were too thin for Brass. This was the final design:

I submitted them earlier this evening and to my surprise I just received a E-mail telling me they passed the human checker. They promised them by March. They most likely won't take that long. Shapeways has changed their pricing. They now charge a minimum order for small orders and surcharges to expedite orders. It will change the way I deal with them. I will group together as many prints as I can. That will save me on postage too. These crossheads will be the last brass casting I'll need [I Think]. I need to do the lead truck frame but I'll try Shapeways new Plastic for that. That will lessen the possibility oF shorts. The crossheads and all drive rods will be nickel/silver plated.

Bob
OK Hogger Posted - 02/04/2019 : 5:34:09 PM
I'm with Mike: Looks like you've gotten pretty salty with Sketch Up!

Andre
railman28 Posted - 02/04/2019 : 1:40:31 PM
Thank you Mike. I don't feel like a master. More like an apprentice blacksmith who is just pounding away tell it looks right.

Bob
Michael Hohn Posted - 01/30/2019 : 12:28:31 PM
Bob,

Looks like you’ve mastered Sketch Up, especially if you can pick it up smoothly after being away for a while.

Mike
railman28 Posted - 01/30/2019 : 01:12:53 AM
An evening of work produced this drawing.

Shapeways computer accepted the order so hopefully I'll the parts in a few days.

Bob

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000