Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 4 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 96 ]  [ Total: 100 ]  [ Newest Member: conrailandrew ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Dead Rail Forum
 Welcome- What are you using or thinking about

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jburch Posted - 02/10/2015 : 7:45:02 PM
I wanted to welcome everyone who is interested or maybe is ahead of the crowd and has been using dead rail for awhile. Let us know what you have been using or maybe which systems you have checked out, why they will or won't work for you. There should be at least a few of you that have some questions also.

I am in the research stage. I model in On30 and have a wide variety of locos to fit. Some will have sound, others probably not due to space. I would like to avoid trailer cars if I can on the smaller engines like the Porters and the Davenports.

I have checked out the four main systems out there, Tam Valley, Stanton, CVP and Del Tang. I am leaning towards the CVP because of the features, the handheld controller and its ability to work with the sound decoders. All the systems have their share of pluses and minuses, and I suppose it depends on what is important to you and your layout. I have yet to wire anything up yet on the layout so I am open to them all.

It is so nice to be able to lay track like the big boys with no concern for power routing or polarity.

Can't wait to learn from those that have a greater knowledge than I.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Bernd Posted - 11/04/2018 : 7:26:26 PM
Just a little up date here. Somebody started a new thread on MRH called Rechargeable Battery Powered Locos? The battery haters came out of the wood work. If you're interested here's the link.https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/34882

And speaking of batteries and R/C, I got a new toy yesterday.

And a video: https://youtu.be/Q53XurbfXr8

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 10/28/2018 : 5:38:01 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DanT

Thanks Bernd for pointing this out. Given the sad news out there, maybe it's time to pause and ponder if ranting and righteousness is affecting our model railroading dialogue. A few nights ago, I was surfing this website and found this relatable commentary.

I've been dissed on this website for putting batteries in a trailing car, and on freerails for arranging batteries in parallel. I wouldn't mind constructive criticism if I had a commercial product that I was offering, but a proof-of-concept model?

Hopefully, civility will prevail as we explore the attributes of battery power and radio control...

Dan

The best thing to do is gather here on this site and work on getting something to show to the general modeling public. Not much excitement for some when it comes to Research & Development.

You'll always get the "prototypical correct modelers" pointing out that that is not how the prototype does it.

Back to work on the Torque Drive. Haven't worked on that in a while.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 10/28/2018 : 5:31:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by mabloodhound

494 reads sure seems like there's interest. Not everyone has something to say but they all can learn from reading the post.

As I said, some may look at the post real quick without reading anything. MRH members are more interested in OpSigs, weathering, plug-n-play systems. I've seen several modelers not come back due to hardly any response to their postings. One in particular did some very nice scratch building of rolling stock. He was criticized for prototype fidelity. I now see him post on Facebook.

I know many may not even know what to ask or what to say to add to the subject. I've seen rants get more posts on MRH than a constructive subject. That's Ok. We'll just keep working on the subject matter.

Bernd
DanT Posted - 10/28/2018 : 1:39:00 PM
Thanks Bernd for pointing this out. Given the sad news out there, maybe it's time to pause and ponder if ranting and righteousness is affecting our model railroading dialogue. A few nights ago, I was surfing this website and found this relatable commentary.

"...what a pity that this interesting thread has been reduced to thinly veiled invective. I am new to R/C controlled model railways, though not model railways in general, and looked to RMweb as a source of information and ideas about the latest developments, and hitherto have found it useful.

However, it is becoming clear that in certain quarters there is a rearguard action being fought by people who have invested heavily in DCC, particularly onboard DCC sound, and while this is perfectly understandable, I'm not sure if it is really relevant to the way R/C train control is going to develop.

I am reminded of the fierce arguments which took place in the 1980's about the superiority of Sony Betamax versus VHS video tape systems, only to see the whole discussion rendered obsolete by the arrival of DVD's! Whenever new ideas are suggested or tried there are a multitude of deniers ready to dismiss them as either unwanted or irrelevant, but if an idea takes off, like DCC for example, they quickly become among it's champions.

Of course, the control systems developed for DCC have much to offer for the development of R/C train control, - they both have the same objective and it is pointless re-inventing the wheel, - but their associaton is neither mandatory, or even necessary.

Finally, I suggest we keep our political views separate from our model railways, which are only a hobby, but just for the record, I have been a Marxist for most of my very long adult life, and without boring you with my personal details, I do object to being called an idiot, - and you might care to reflect that whatever systems might be developed for model railways in the future, they will almost certainly be manufactured in China, the largest communist country in the world, and they are not all idiots either!"

I've been dissed on this website for putting batteries in a trailing car, and on freerails for arranging batteries in parallel. I wouldn't mind constructive criticism if I had a commercial product that I was offering, but a proof-of-concept model?

Hopefully, civility will prevail as we explore the attributes of battery power and radio control...

Dan
mabloodhound Posted - 10/28/2018 : 1:09:18 PM
494 reads sure seems like there's interest. Not everyone has something to say but they all can learn from reading the post.
Bernd Posted - 10/27/2018 : 09:15:16 AM
I've got a little rant to make here. It's short and simple.

I posted one week ago on MRH (Model Railroad Hobbyist) about wireless charging. There has been 5 posts on the subject and 494 reads, I see it as just a quick peak at the subject to see what's it about. Yet there is a post called "Why ask for opinions or advice if you are not going to listen?" with 1543 reads and 29 posts as of today (10/29/2018). Seems to me it's a waste of time posting anything of interest over there unless you want to rant about something you don't like about the posters subject.

End rant.

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 10/21/2018 : 08:21:46 AM
quote:
Originally posted by neiler

Thanks again Bernd. Iím a steam guy but wonder if there is a good HO model to use as a test case. I may have an RS3 somewhere or SW1500. If we could demonstrate a nearly plug and play solution then interest may rise.

Neil,

I think any medium size steamer would work, such as 2-6-0, 2-8-0 with a medium size tender would be ideal. Say something like a Mantua or AHM. I'd stay away from brass though.

Bernd
neiler Posted - 10/21/2018 : 02:53:37 AM
Thanks again Bernd. Iím a steam guy but wonder if there is a good HO model to use as a test case. I may have an RS3 somewhere or SW1500. If we could demonstrate a nearly plug and play solution then interest may rise.

Tom- I forgot to mention that Iím still on the mend. Another meeting with the surgeon next week. Kaiser doesnít think the injury is causing the pain but, hmm, it wasnít there before ... I bought a stationary ďsmart trainerĒ that is truly amazing. With thousands paying fifteen bucks a month for these virtual rides the app/hardware integration is driven to become affordable and entertaining. Imagine the same dollars spent on dead rail.
Bernd Posted - 10/20/2018 : 10:12:00 PM
Welcome aboard Neil. Glad you joined. As Tom said the subject is a little weak here, but we try.

Bernd
neiler Posted - 10/20/2018 : 9:38:35 PM
Thanks Tom!

The original post asks what we are using. My controllers are CVP T5000 and the Tam Valley version. Receivers vary from NCE, CVP & Tam Valley. I have added Tsunami decoders for sound and use a variety of battery types and sizes - all lipo. At present they are all charged outside the locos with the exception of the garden rail engines that use RCS and NiCad battery packs.

I have also experimented with BlueRail boards and the MRC genie. Neither really measure up to the other types available on the market but are easy to instal and the price reflects the quality. BlueRail has potential to be amazing so I havenít ruled it out. Time will tell but the promoter, Dave Rees, is very forward thinking and open to new ideas.
tloc Posted - 10/20/2018 : 9:03:01 PM
Welcome aboard Neil. There are a few here who read the MRH forums. Glad your here, happy you are recovering from the bike incident. You will find DanT and Bernd are good advocates of DeadRail and can communicate in understandable writings. There wonít be much negativity here but lots of questions. As u know MRH can run negative. Lots of encouragement overall here but the Dead Rail here is a little weak with basically DanT and Bernd headlining. I am a reader getting a better understanding of wireless charging.

TomO
neiler Posted - 10/20/2018 : 8:33:21 PM
Iím here. Thanks Bernd.

Iíve been doing my own dead rail installs in On30 and garden trains since 2010 (2013 in On30) so have quite a bit of actual bands on experience. After all this time I find myself leaning toward charging tracks either online or in staging. The Stanton battery manager is small enough that a fit isnít difficult and there is no need to remove wipers and connections to the rail.
Wireless charging seems appealing for its simplicity but a section of rail with 5v wouldnít bee too hard to keep clean (he says without ever having tried it). Iím thinking at water stops or engine house tracks. Time to get back into it and fire up the soldering iron!

Neil
Bernd Posted - 10/19/2018 : 08:56:10 AM
A little bump on the subject.

I posted a couple of pictures of the charging boards I got from E-bay on MRH's "What's on your workbench" thread to see if I could create some interest. Neil asked about where I got those boards from. I started a separate thread in hopes of starting a dialog on BPRC. I also pointed out that we have two threads going here on PBRC. Let's see what happens. I'm sure there are going to be some nay-sayer's on MRH.

If anybody is interested in following the thread and see what's said, here's the link (you don't need to be a member to read the forum): https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/34716

Enjoy

Bernd
Bernd Posted - 09/29/2018 : 2:48:39 PM
quote:
Originally posted by DanT

Bernd, that's a nice set-up on those steamers. Is that a Mode 1 Tx? I have several of these, but they are Mode 2 with the throttle on the left. Here's the link to the Amherst Show. I was hoping to do a clinic there, but I'll probably just run my BPRC stuff on a couple of layouts. Send me a PM when you can.

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/

Dan

Just checked. It's a Mode 2, throttle on the left and direction on the right.

Came across the show ad in RMC. PM sent.

Bernd
DanT Posted - 09/29/2018 : 12:35:28 PM
Bernd, that's a nice set-up on those steamers. Is that a Mode 1 Tx? I have several of these, but they are Mode 2 with the throttle on the left. Here's the link to the Amherst Show. I was hoping to do a clinic there, but I'll probably just run my BPRC stuff on a couple of layouts. Send me a PM when you can.

http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com/

Tom, I started with r/c because there was so much out there already for planes, cars, trucks, boats, etc. With hundreds of manufacturers feeding the hobby on a global basis, I felt this was the best way to avoid proprietary systems and maximize my options, whatever they would be. After many emails with DavidT at DelTang, I'm happy he decided to tailor some of his receivers for model railroad use. In any case, whatever way you go, glad you appreciate the dead rail concept and the sense of freedom this method offers.

Dan

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.62 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000