Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 2 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 110 ]  [ Total: 112 ]  [ Newest Member: colind ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Grubes Posted - 09/09/2019 : 9:44:23 PM
Looks great James. Alway amazed at how much progress you make.
deemery Posted - 09/03/2019 : 08:44:25 AM
Those old Alexander kits were quite innovative for their times, I have one or two of the tank kit stashed away from when I start the refinery. As i recall, they were a challenge, and I see you rose to the challenge. I remember that open spot in Bexley, it'll be good to see something besides plywood there.

dave
Orionvp17 Posted - 09/02/2019 : 8:58:49 PM
Good progress, James! Keep' em rollin!"

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 09/02/2019 : 8:23:44 PM
It's been a while, but the new school year has begun, putting an end to summer travel etc.

Mr. Slovacek has heard Alderman Iannella's story about his aunt's fiancee dying in the Great Molasses Flood of 1919 more than once. So rather than hearing it again at City Hall, he told the contractor to include containment in the proposal for the tank. There wasn't room for a berm, so he sighed and paid for a concrete wall.

The 'primer coat' is latex house paint, which did a good job of hiding the plywood grain and cracks visible below. I'll finish it grayer, so it doesn't suggest most of the aggregate was beach sand.

I also got Newburyport's westbound platform mostly finished. Following a picture of Kennebunk's similar arrangement, I used 1/16" x 3/32" tie stock with the ends cut to 45 degrees.

Next will be Slovacek's tank car unloading spot and truck loading rack.
Orionvp17 Posted - 07/23/2019 : 5:32:30 PM
I like where this is going, James! And I remember F. Diehl & Son in Wellesley bringing oil to the house when I was a kid.

They were also Dad's preferred lumber yard, and it was a treat to go to the lumber yard and watch the big trucks and tools at work.

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 07/23/2019 : 5:15:17 PM
Thanks, Dave, Jim & Pete. A friend sent me a link to a new (to me) resource: The Massachusetts Cultural Resource Information System. Their Williamstown Coal write-up (with pix) is here:

http://mhc-macris.net/Details.aspx?MhcId=WLL.907

That and a picture from BM-RR@groups.io show me I need to build 4 brass coal gate/chute assemblies. The kit's wood chutes are from the 3-silo prototype next door (modeled on Dick Elwell's layout). Brass is on hand.

But I also decided Slovacek Anthracite wasn't going to go under defending the Blue Coal flag; Oil tanks are needed. I looked through several donations of junky train-set cars but didn't find two suitable tank car bodies. So I checked the kit stash:

Alexander's old 'Parkersburg' kit is about 110,000 gallons, quite enough to match Rudy's 450 tons stored/40 tons/hour coal plant. I plan to repurpose its tank car loading rack as a truck loading rack, but otherwise this will be a stock build.

I used #53 and #55 drills for the fill double elbow instead of the instructions' #50. They say 'glue' and probably mean Ambroid. I did use that to seal the edges of the cardboard tube tank former, but I used Weldwood for the wrapper and roof former.

The front (door) wall of the pump shed is barely 6' 9" tall, so fitting a 6' 3" door broke the sheetwood. I laminated it back together on paper. The window casting is smooth, though.
Orionvp17 Posted - 06/27/2019 : 12:05:15 PM
James,

There's an old coaling facility (may be an ex-dealer; I haven't investigated) near Gilbo Ave and School St. in Keene that might be worth investigating. This is near the old roundhouse.

Pete
in Michigan
BurleyJim Posted - 06/27/2019 : 10:46:50 AM
James,

Distracted? Wait until he discovers girls! It ended my Live Steam backyard layout.

Cool '49 Ford Convertible! '53 Eldorado?

Jim
deemery Posted - 06/27/2019 : 08:40:50 AM
If he gets good at doing window glazing, I'm sure I'm not the only person who could put him to work :-) :-)

George Sellios agreed with me, glazing is the worst part of doing structures.

dave
jbvb Posted - 06/26/2019 : 10:41:59 PM
Belated thanks, Pete, Dave, Robert, Frank and both Mikes. June has been very busy with trackwork, haying and various New England sights and activities with my new family. But there has been some progress:

I'd had this N Scale Architect kit for a decade when my wife asked me for something to build. She was familiar with the basics from building architectural models in university, but I had to help her with airbrushing and materials new to her.

The instructions are decent, but say next to nothing about how the prototype (still standing but idle for decades) operated. I'm expecting unloading hoppers in front of each of the elevators and a loading area for trucks opposite, with an office somewhere nearby. So far, asking the B&M community hasn't produced any 'in service' photos, but if I attend September's NER convention in Syracuse, I can stop by and do some detective work. In particular, there should be some remnant of the unloading gates for the silos.

You can see my mock-up of the Bexley Produce Terminal in the background, and I've also gotten back to work on Gorin Machine (begun 2015). But neither will be photogenic for a while.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 05/28/2019 : 07:50:52 AM
Nice urban scene!
Frank Palmer Posted - 05/27/2019 : 11:01:11 AM

Judging by that dark sky those kids better put the top up on the convertible.
Michael Hohn Posted - 05/26/2019 : 11:57:46 PM
Indeed, nice group of buildings.
robert goslin Posted - 05/26/2019 : 6:10:06 PM
James, Your street scene is coming up great. Looks suitably gritty.
Nice job on the structures.
deemery Posted - 05/26/2019 : 4:25:49 PM
What Pete said!

dave

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.61 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000