Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 64 ]  [ Total: 67 ]  [ Newest Member: cruckshank ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
jbvb Posted - 03/08/2019 : 12:28:50 PM
Thanks, Pete. Fate willing and the creek don't rise.

One of Rapido's RDC-2s arrived last week. I sent it out on the main for break-in. The baggage-end ('F' mark) truck didn't track very well. Per the instructions, I tried bending the baggage steps out a bit, but no joy. After a number of derailments I investigated:

I could feel something catch as I moved the truck around: the red power feed wire shown above was bent upwards so it would catch on the underframe at certain angles. I used the back of a hobby knife to bend it back within the confines of the truck frame. All happy now.

Most of my recent hobby time has gone into prep for my Railrun op session next month. Some of that may show up on my operations thread, though maybe not till after this weekend's outage.
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/07/2019 : 11:28:36 AM
Looks good to me! Looking forward to seeing this operate some fine day....

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 02/07/2019 : 11:16:58 AM
Spring Switch project is complete: Signage on fascia, trackside and on the control panel. The prettiest is shown here:

Next focus is stalled projects and revising the operating plan to include Downtown Newburyport.
jbvb Posted - 02/06/2019 : 10:38:18 AM
When the South Station kerosene lamps were retired during the 1984 reconstruction (along with Tower 1 and the underground baggage ramps and reverse loop), I think that was the last use in New England. I can't imagine anything so labor intensive remaining in today's RR operating environment. I have seen a couple in museums in recent years.

I believe what the newsies were twittering about in both Boston and Chicago was LP or mains natural gas. Most gas installations are easy to spot in fair weather too.
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/05/2019 : 4:36:32 PM
This tactic, BTW, was all over the news media last week as Chicago "burned the railroad!!!"

Lots of photos from all sorts of angles, high buildings, etc. showing the switch point heaters in use during the really cold snap....

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 02/05/2019 : 3:57:01 PM
Frank, been there, done that: January 1978 at South Station, Boston.

There's no ballast between the ties under the points. So in a nearby storage building, there are a bunch of sheet metal objects looking vaguely like Bigfoot's house slippers, with a round stack coming out of one end with a wick. When the Super makes the call, the Section Gang will fill 'em up with kerosene, light 'em and stick one between each pair of ties under the points. Then trudge around the interlocking till the snow stops drifting refilling as necessary, and re-lighting when a passing train dumps enough snow to extinguish one. Then pick 'em all up and put 'em away again.

Right now, image search for "kerosene railroad switch heater" shows what I'm talking about as the 1st pic.
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/05/2019 : 10:30:00 AM
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Palmer

James what do they do in the winter?

Freeze.

Pete
in Michigan
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/05/2019 : 09:44:58 AM

James what do they do in the winter?
jbvb Posted - 02/04/2019 : 11:38:08 PM
The repair got finished promptly, but then a whole lot of things happened which didn't leave much time for modeling. But today I spent a while working on the visible side of the spring switch:

Here's a B&M spring switch at the end of a crossover just west of the Petersburg Jct. NY diamond with the Rutland's recently abandoned line to Chatham NY. The section crew will be making their life a little simpler today. Note the big box supporting a fairly routine high switch stand.

Later that day, the spring switch mechanism is about to be wrestled into the weeds and replaced with a normal Ramapo #17.

I built the box from .020 & .040 styrene sheet, adding a Rapido switchstand casting and a bit of half-round styrene for the ?hydraulic? damper. Handle is .025 phosphor bronze, staff is .020 music wire.

More tomorrow, I hope.
Orionvp17 Posted - 01/10/2019 : 12:15:14 AM
Gaaaa!!!

Best wishes for a complete, speedy repair!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 01/09/2019 : 9:45:56 PM
Sorry, Pete, but the circuit board is of limited interest by itself, and Azatrax hasn't updated their website to show it. I'll email and see how things look for the W. Springfield show. The pretty photos will come when I get around to the prototypic "SPRING SWITCH" sign beside the track and on the fascia.

Meanwhile, people who know me and my layout well might want to sit down before clicking through to this picture:

Download Attachment: IMGP3932.JPG
115.6 KB

The rest of the story: My son's regular job had a slow week, so he asked if I needed anything done. And I decided to deal with the part of the attic floor that should have had shimming or underlayment before the original linoleum installation (note open cracks lower left). The floor should look a lot different Friday.

This is the first time my work table had been moved in at least 10 years. Alas, picking through the pile of swept-up debris didn't reveal any useful lost parts, just a #72 drill and my first attempt at an HO adjustable window screen (didn't fit).
Orionvp17 Posted - 11/23/2018 : 10:42:04 AM
Sounds good to me, James! Need photos, etc.!

Tour well!!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 11/23/2018 : 10:33:15 AM
Bulletin Order #53, Effective 12:01 AM Friday November 23, 2018. Newburyport: Spring switch in service at end of double track, MP 37.4 Eastern Route. Normal direction is for movements from single track to Westward Main Track. Movements on Eastward Main Track between Merrimack St. (MP 37.37) and Merrimack Drawbridge must not exceed 20 MPH.

Talking with John Parsons of Azatrax at the K.C. national convention, I commented that the D2T I/R turnout controller was almost what I needed to model a Spring Switch. We exchanged a few emails and he sent me a prototype. I've still got some wiring to rearrange for manual control, but not with Tour de Chooch looming. John gave me permission to post about it last month, but I don't see it on azatrax.com yet.

If you don't know what a 'spring switch' does on the prototype, or why I've wanted one since 1974, I can explain after the Tour.
Orionvp17 Posted - 11/22/2018 : 10:38:09 AM
Nice "first project," James!

Bravo!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 11/21/2018 : 9:28:40 PM
Here it is today, though looking at the photos I need to make the yellow more 'creamy' and bleached for a realistic look. This will also ease the somewhat overdone 'mud splash' on the lower walls.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000