Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 3 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 80 ]  [ Total: 83 ]  [ Newest Member: maxwellemc ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Tyson Rayles Posted - 03/21/2018 : 08:29:52 AM
[

jbvb Posted - 03/20/2018 : 11:13:37 PM
Thanks, Lynn, Pete and Dave. I'm away in a much warmer clime with meter-gauge RRs; Eastern Route work is unlikely to resume till after Tax Day.
Grubes Posted - 03/18/2018 : 09:26:43 AM
Nice touch James, little details add a lot of personality to a build.

Dave
Orionvp17 Posted - 03/16/2018 : 12:05:28 PM
Looks good, James. Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan
LynnB Posted - 03/16/2018 : 11:44:19 AM
Coming along nicely, I still have more catching up to do.
jbvb Posted - 03/06/2018 : 7:55:44 PM
Mostly structure work the past few days:

The B&M had a standard smokejack for smaller buildings - galvanized square 'chimney' through the roof, then a capped pipe extending a couple more feet.

I've built them for the Newburyport and West Lynn (Ipswich prototype) section houses. I'm getting closer to requesting a Structures AP evaluation.
BurleyJim Posted - 02/23/2018 : 8:57:04 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Section gangs and track cars vanished from most US railroads pretty quickly as Hy-Rail equipment became practical in the 1950s. I expect the track gang was how many railfans older than me got introduced to the subject. Employees living locally, most walking to work at the same section house every day and then putting away to noisy manual labor jobs up and down the line - summer entertainment before TV. But by 1965 they were gone from Newburyport, so my introduction to railroaders was via train crews.

My dad was a Gandy Dancer at age 8 for the B&O during the Depression. He went on to retire from EMD after 43 years as a Master Machinist. One of the original plankowners at the Lagrange plant. Lot of stories and memories of that place.

Jim
Orionvp17 Posted - 02/23/2018 : 5:09:07 PM
And it looks good to me!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 02/23/2018 : 5:01:44 PM
I'm one of those who remembers my inventory mostly by position. If it's not filed in a common location and out of sight for too long, I might as well have never have brought it home.

This afternoon, I learned a lesson: track is easy to lay on a prepared roadbed, not so much otherwise. I wonder if this is why I occasionally see an exquisitely crafted, detailed and lit diorama whose track is plastic-tie code 100 painted brown.

Section gangs and track cars vanished from most US railroads pretty quickly as Hy-Rail equipment became practical in the 1950s. I expect the track gang was how many railfans older than me got introduced to the subject. Employees living locally, most walking to work at the same section house every day and then putting away to noisy manual labor jobs up and down the line - summer entertainment before TV. But by 1965 they were gone from Newburyport, so my introduction to railroaders was via train crews.

I recall magazines articles of the 1960s and '70s featuring construction and equipping section houses, but it's been years. They weren't favorite photo subjects and their denizens were rarely social equals of the operating employees. But as I'm a spike pounder at Seashore, the Eastern Route must be properly equipped.

My Newburyport Section House had a track-car setoff for each door. I knew this was going to fall afoul of the Hytron turnout, but a building of those dimensions would only fit in one place in Newburyport. So I decided the existing section house had been moved to accommodate the turnout. And the rails and platform for the eastbound track were removed in favor of the crossover 100 yards west.

I do creosoted wood with stain, so it had to be wood, which has to be held down so it won't curl when I finish the scenery. I think I bent 25 spikes putting 32 into the plywood and wood putty 'subgrade'. Slow, and not a picture-perfect rendering of the B&M standard plan, but it's 24" from the audience.
BurleyJim Posted - 02/21/2018 : 9:36:03 PM
quote:
Originally posted by jbvb

Today was going to be an 'electrical projects' day, but the first one took much longer than I'd expected. However, it's in service:

It took all day because 1) some parts I'd bought got 'put away', so I improvised with what I could find AND 2) I made a couple of punch-down errors AND 3) high-end Category 5 cable is stranded and you can't play 'double-punching' games with it. I couldn't get continuity on all pairs so I had to solder a splice.

James,

After A couple more years and those 'put away items' get lost forever. I can spend a day looking for that 'special place' I stashed something! Keep up the good work!

Jim
jbvb Posted - 02/21/2018 : 8:32:48 PM
Michael, I must confess that there were months of thinking about this track, and a computer drawing, and a full-scale cardboard template before I committed to the arrangement I built.

Frank, once you've built several turnouts with the jigs, I expect you'll get a feel for how the layout and tolerances work. I don't think it will be too difficult to step out on your own at that point.

Today was going to be an 'electrical projects' day, but the first one took much longer than I'd expected. However, it's in service:

Adding this RJ-45 'keystone jack' box lets operators with wired throttles reach any part of the north half of my layout. To preserve a 'clip up' plug orientation, I screwed what was designed as the cover of the box to the underside of the layout frame.

It took all day because 1) some parts I'd bought got 'put away', so I improvised with what I could find AND 2) I made a couple of punch-down errors AND 3) high-end Category 5 cable is stranded and you can't play 'double-punching' games with it. I couldn't get continuity on all pairs so I had to solder a splice.
Frank Palmer Posted - 02/19/2018 : 10:48:46 AM
James, well done.

I just started building Fast-Tracks O-Scale switches from the template for our O-Switching Modules, but someday I'd like to explore with some radical design.
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/18/2018 : 11:09:39 AM
James, I probably should have known you have the Civil Certificate. You’re obviously very comfortable laying out fairly complex track work and getting it done in short order.

Mike
jbvb Posted - 02/18/2018 : 10:06:32 AM
Thanks, all. Jim, Mike, I got Civil back in 2015, including my earlier 'bits of rail' diamond as a feature. Perhaps this is in the same vein as me signaling the layout after I got the Electrical AP award...
Michael Hohn Posted - 02/17/2018 : 11:42:04 PM
James,

Looks terrific to me. I am thinking along similar lines as Jim regarding the AP.

Mike

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.3 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000