Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 88 ]  [ Total: 88 ]  [ Newest Member: Dakkon ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mid Scale Model Railroad Forum
 B&M Eastern Route progress

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jbvb Posted - 01/31/2008 : 8:10:46 PM
I'm modeling the Boston & Maine's Eastern Route in HO standard gauge in my 207-year-old house's attic. The attic has its pluses and minuses - plenty of space, just up the stairs and finished, but the combination of the sloping ceiling and a 36" minimum radius meant I could only do an around-the-walls plan. Also, it can get a bit hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

The layout incorporates my Rowley MA modules, presently the only finished scenery, in the rural northern half of the attic. The southeast corner is where I'm building my compressed version of West Lynn, MA including the General Electric River works and the West Lynn creamery.

This photo shows the mainline curve passing the future creamery (spur under the file) and the Saugus Branch (long staging tracks) coming in from the left. I'm spiking rail on the branch, building the switch comes next. The flying plywood is actually pretty rigid with the flange below and the backdrop partially installed, it will get better when I bring the backdrop around to the left edge of the photo.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/17/2019 : 8:58:46 PM
Looking good, James. Would love to know how the 1/16" bracing works out. I've always used 1/8" square, "just because."

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 10/17/2019 : 8:53:20 PM
Thanks, Mike & Pete. Today was pretty wet, but with the wood stove going I dried off quickly.

The house is a little farther along. BEST recommended pre-painting the parts, but I have better luck gluing bare wood surfaces.

I've also added 1/16" square reinforcement in the corners. The stock roof is about 3/16" too short with the new end wall. I haven't decided to extend the stock parts or make new. After Seashore track work tomorrow, glue will be dry and I'll revisit.
Tyson Rayles Posted - 10/17/2019 : 06:05:22 AM
Good looking scene!
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/16/2019 : 10:08:18 PM
Looks like a fun project, James! Please keep the pix coming!

Stay dry, too!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 10/16/2019 : 10:00:44 PM
Room lights would dodge the headlight issue, but then the sloping ceiling looms over the scene.

I'm back to working on a couple of projects on Franklin St. The big acrylic carcass that will become Batterman Press now has its first laminated styrene 'concrete' beam. Happily, the acrylic cement didn't affect the well-dried Floquil. But it won't be photogenic till I work out how to do the masonry windows.

There's also what I plan to call the Ritchie-Gilbert House, which goes behind the Coco Club. I'm using the 'extension' part of the BEST kit here; the main house will go elsewhere. The clamps are on the end wall I fabricated to match the kit's.
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/10/2019 : 2:50:40 PM
Looking good, James!

As for the headlights. turn the room lights on... Instant Daylight and the headlight issue goes away.

Nice progress!

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 10/10/2019 : 1:44:54 PM
Pete, I think before the real-world bridge replacement, B-15 2-6-0s (the origin of the 'Mogul Country' tagline, for B&M novices) were the largest engines allowed. But I actually built my whole RR to clear Plate C; that gives me enough of the 'that's why clerestory roofs are so low and modern steam locos look so scrunched' flavor.

Jim, I think that was a solvent cement bottle. I've never bought Al-Clad, though I have read a good deal about it. All my 'stainless' roofs and ends to date are Floquil Silver plus weathering. I do have one set of non-plated car sides (NYNH&H 14-4 sleeper), with Bare Metal Foil stashed alongside them.

My stepson and I did more work on Franklin St. over the summer. Here's the color original of the B&W shot in The Gallery:

Headlights could be added, at the cost of making the vehicles tiresome to move.
BurleyJim Posted - 10/02/2019 : 1:40:22 PM
James,

I detected a bottle of AlClad paint in the photo of the passenger car (it's a beauty!) That Alclad was recommended to me by Bill Gill, is great!

Get going on that Cars AP, mine drove me a little , but it's just a short putt for me.

Jim
Orionvp17 Posted - 10/02/2019 : 09:59:25 AM
Tight indeed! Taking a K-7 or K-8 through there must have been a cultural experience. Wow!

Cool shot, though! Looking forward to the "finals."

Pete
in Michigan
jbvb Posted - 10/01/2019 : 10:52:01 PM
Thanks, Michael. Whichever conventions I attend next year (my presence is pretty much obligatory at the Columbus Day NER convention in Westford, MA), I will bring an entry or two and see how I do.

I'm showing my layout after the Oct. 12 Seacoast Div. Fall Event, so I did a lot of cleaning up, some of which turned into 'finishing projects so I can put parts & tools away':

This tight-clearance underpass was built in the 1870s to get the City RR branch under High St. I hadn't realized it was dry-laid until I set out to model it. The batter is as large as I've ever seen on a RR structure. But the span itself is clearly much newer, either just before or just after WWII, and allowed much larger freight cars down to waterfront customer.

My stepson carved the rocks in meat-tray styrofoam. I built the railings from cut-up Rix parts. I will clean up the shaggy edge on the hardboard before visitors. I may go back and model the blank panels, but not this week or next.
Michael Hohn Posted - 09/25/2019 : 09:31:18 AM
Congratulations, James, on a fine model and the Achievement marks.
jbvb Posted - 09/24/2019 : 10:22:08 PM
Pete, my first scratchbuilt car might be a Western Union materials car like the one that survived into the 1970s at East Deerfield. That could be put here and there to annoy any excessively cocky operators. And kind fellow modelers sent me copies of the old Ambroid kit plans. Though I'd probably use styrene.

My second thought had been a 104000-series narrow monitor caboose, but checking my stash I find I only need to paint the brass model I already own.

So I'm back to the idea of building a few Laconia cars in O scale while I can still get the milled wood stock called for by the Ambroid/Northeaster HO plans. Of course, they'll never run till I paint the O-scale P-2b and find a receptive layout owner.

Regardless, scratchbuilding is simplified by any Merit awards I get for cars already on hand.
jbvb Posted - 09/24/2019 : 10:13:54 PM
Andy, I have one of the original Walthers 90' turntable kits installed and operational at my Bexley yard. It sounds like a tired kitchen mixer but does the job. 90' is enough for the 4-6-2s and smaller locos on trains that turn there. I forget if it will turn my T-1a 2-8-4; that has the original 4-axle tender. I know R-1 4-8-2s and the later T-1b 2-8-4s with 6-axle tenders won't fit.
Orionvp17 Posted - 09/24/2019 : 10:09:53 PM
Nice work, there, James!

And with OOB earning a Merit Award, you need three more for the Cars Certificate. But you also need four scratchbuilt cars. Thoughts on these?

I had a ball with this certificate once I got past the "Gaaa--this is hard!" concept. It's no more difficult than any of the other cool stuff you've laid on us, and it was a whale of a lot of pure fun.

Keep going!

Pete
in Michigan
cajon Posted - 09/24/2019 : 10:00:38 PM
Do you have any steam engines that need a turntable?

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000