Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 101 ]  [ Newest Member: 36Plyguy ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Early Rail Forum
 The freelance California Railway & Navigation Co

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
masonamerican Posted - 12/10/2011 : 06:01:09 AM
Hi All,
below there are some pictures of my layout the freelanced California Railway & Navigation Company with its subsidiary Smith-Kingsley Logging Co. It is set in Northern California around 1890-1895. It connects the small sea harbor Innsmouth with the inland terminal Dunsmuir where it connects with the Southern Pacific. The main reason for its existence is transporting goods from Innsmouth Harbor to Dunsmuir for transport east. Connected to it is also a subsidiary logging company which operates its own equipment but uses the C.R.&.N.Co right of way.

This is my first layout since I was a teenager and I started the layout about 2 years ago. Before that we lived in an apartment so then it was only building of houses and rolling stock. It occupies roughly 4x4m (13´x13´) in my basement. The benchwork is L-girder and the track is ME flextrack code 55 and 70 which lies on plywood+cork roadbed. Turnouts are made with Fast Tracks jigs and their laser cut turnout ties. The trains are controlled by Roco’s DCC system. The maximum grade is 2% and the minimum radius 24´´. To get a long mainline I have separated the two end stations by about 12´´ vertically and let the mainline do a double turn via a helix before it reaches Dunsmuir. Much of the track will be hidden from view to avoid a spaghetti bowl kind of look.

Scenery which I just have started with is of the conventional kind with plaster cloth on a support skeleton. The plan is to finish the scenery in 4´ segments and gradually work my way from Dunsmuir to Innsmouth which will be finished last. Scenery has been hard to make and at the first part at Dunsmuir I have tested a lot. I hope the scenery gradually will be better and better as it comes along.
Trees are a combination of homemade and commercial. As the railroad is modeled at its peak and fairly new most of my buildings only have a light weathering to show the passage of time. My engine house for example is only about 5 years since it was built so it has not got that dilapidated worn look yet. The depression is many, many years ahead. Also the management is keeping everything in good working order.

My freight cars are a mix of for example Labelle, BTS, Alkem Scale models, Central Valley, Rio Grande Models, Silver Crash Car Works, Art Griffin and old IHC, AHM cars that I have modified.
The passenger fleet which I about to rework with better paintjobs and more elaborate decals consists for example of Westwood, reworked Model Power cars, and GEM (brass).
The locomotive fleet is just as diverse and consists of a lot of brass Balboa, PFM, Gem, Ken Kidder, NWSL (Shay). Some kits I have assembled from Arbour models kits a 2-6-0 and a 4-4-0. Also I have some commercial RTR locos from Bachmann and Roundhouse.

Please excuse the disorder on the photos as I’m using the part of the layout which I’m not building on as storage for the scenery stuff. I staged some of the buildings for the photos and the Engine house is not finished but it all hopefully gives a view how it will look when finished. There is also a lot of detail work to do but the scenery has to be somewhat complete first.
I hope you will find my description and photos of my layout of interest and that I haven’t bored you to death. Comments are always welcome. Thank you,

Best regards
Håkan

Dunsmuir on the right with the helix below

Dunsmuir on the left and on the storage mess that is to become Innsmouth

Spagetti bowl trackage for the time being

Yet more spagetti bowl but the 2 first tiers will be hidden behind the foredrop.

Dunsmuir

Dunsmuir again. Sorry some of the trees has not yet been planted.

The unfinished engine terminal at Dunsmuir with my Arbour 4-4-0, a Roundhouse 2-8-0 and the Arbour 2-6-0.

The turntable (Diamond scale) with my Arbour 4-4-0

The unfinished engine house with the Arbour 2-6-0.

The Dunsmuir station with my Ken Kidder 2-6-0 and a Balboa 4-4-0

Dunsmuir station again

My trackplan
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
LynnB Posted - 09/05/2018 : 10:42:06 AM
So much great progress since my last visit.
deemery Posted - 09/01/2018 : 5:17:24 PM
I thought about a mining theme for my new railroad. It would be for the two ores for administratum (http://www.anvari.org/fun/Job/Administratum:_A_Chemical_Analysis.html ) - blue collarite and white collarite :-) :-)

dave
masonamerican Posted - 09/01/2018 : 5:01:52 PM
Thank you very much Frank for the kind words!
I'm happy you like the layout and the modeling.

Andre, I have surstromming it once and it was revolting to put it kindly. I should have been warned by the smell and the fact that my friends cat wouldn't come near the opened can.

Håkan
toptrain Posted - 08/28/2018 : 09:52:16 AM
Håkan, Just saying hello! I've been reading your post here for awhile. Looking in amazement at what you have accomplished in the life of this thread, all 88 pages. Back when you built the Cathedral Springs station with it step by step construction I really enjoyed it. That goes the same for a number of your buildings. Your locomotives, and how they are finished deserves praise. You set the mark very high with you quality of modeling. That's how it should be. It is great to see this work but impossible for me duplicate. You have talent.
frank
OK Hogger Posted - 08/24/2018 : 08:20:12 AM
Surströmming:

Wow Håkan... you all have some very strong stomach's over your way! No place for sissies!!

masonamerican Posted - 08/24/2018 : 07:56:07 AM
That won't go into my cars as it isn't very tasty. But it is WAY better than surstromming.

Håkan
OK Hogger Posted - 08/22/2018 : 3:51:02 PM

Perhaps they're mining lutefisk?

Andre
masonamerican Posted - 08/22/2018 : 2:22:41 PM
Thanks Blair and Mike. The branches that was left after finishing are also great for forest floor debris.

Thanks for the suggestions Mike. I have some deciding to do.

Håkan
Michael Hohn Posted - 08/21/2018 : 10:00:21 AM
Nice job on the trees, Håkan.

You could be mining rare earths, namely Yttrium, Ytterbium, Erbium, and Terbium. Bring a little bit of Sweden to the American West.

Mike
BlairM Posted - 08/20/2018 : 10:42:21 PM
Great "snag tree", very picturesque features, interesting how that makes the scene feel a little higher into the alpine just by the addition of a couple of those. Love the angles they are grasping on to those rock faces too.

Blair
OK Hogger Posted - 08/20/2018 : 4:43:55 PM
Hi Håkan!

The pics show up now! Thanks!

They look good!

Don't know if I have the patience required to build such trees, though. My plan, such as it is, is to purchase bagged bulk trees by the dozens (of bags) and use the "stab n' go" method. Maybe later I'll come back and add some "foreground" trees with more detail. Once I get started on the layout, my hope is to move fast... especially in the scenery/structures phase.

All fer now.

Andre
masonamerican Posted - 08/20/2018 : 4:32:32 PM
Suckemdriem sounds good. Sounds like something my robber baron management would like.

Here are a photo of a finished one.

..and from the layout. I have dry planted them to see how they look.

Gives some variety

Håkan
railman28 Posted - 08/20/2018 : 2:36:07 PM
The trees fabulous. I'm going to have to remember them as they make Big ones too and need a few 24" trees.

Unobtainium sounds good and John Allen. How about Urichem or Suckemdriem?

masonamerican Posted - 08/20/2018 : 2:11:26 PM
Bob, I actually have no idea. Unobtainium perhaps:-) Suggestions much wanted.

Sorry, I tried copy paste from my Flickr account using the cell but it didn't work. I have updated it.
Tonight I'll plant some of them. Must say the hot glue was a new approach instead of drilling holes in the trunk.
Makes it a lot easier to adjust the size of the branches.

Håkan
OK Hogger Posted - 08/20/2018 : 08:51:25 AM
Hi Håkan!

Your photo didn't display in your most recent post. Can you try again? I would like to see what you're talking about.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.45 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000