Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 144 ]  [ Total: 144 ]  [ Newest Member: jfields ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_dalrymple Posted - 02/25/2011 : 4:22:03 PM
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/14/2019 : 1:45:21 PM
quote:
Mark. Your approach to "compressed" scenes is the highlite of your modelling. So much in small spaces...

Thanks Mario! You can only imaging the paper cutouts and kit walls moving around the layout room at the moment!

I believe the dates for Easter 2020 are Friday 10th April through Monday 13th. The guest speaker is Kathy Millatt. Registration is now open. The convention usually runs from Friday to Sunday with a special event organised for Monday for those who want to attend. The layout tours are usually spread over the first three days. Below is the link.

http://www.modelrailcon.co.nz/

Cheers, Mark.
Mario Rapinett Posted - 11/13/2019 : 11:11:45 PM
Mark. Your approach to "compressed" scenes is the highlite of your modelling. So much in small spaces.... Looking forward to maybe catching up again in 2020.....when is the open house....( Easter ...exact date ?? )
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/12/2019 : 1:06:33 PM
Is there an echo going on in here? Thanks very much for your kind compliments Frank, Carl and Jerry!

Hopefully I'll get back out to the model room for a bit today.

Cheers, Mark.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 11/11/2019 : 8:45:19 PM
Can only repeat what Frank & Carl have said!!!
Carl B Posted - 11/11/2019 : 7:43:09 PM
I'll paraphrase what Frank said:

You're an amazing artist that uses effects for trains!
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/11/2019 : 6:33:15 PM

Mark, youíre one amazing artist. You donít use paint on the palette you use visual effects.

And by gosh there are trains in there!
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/11/2019 : 6:01:16 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for all your encouragement Frank, Bill, Carl, Greg and Jerry. We had the annual staff and family faculty BBQ from my wife's school here an Saturday afternoon/ evening and Marilla and Dorthy were big hits with the kids! Interestingly enough so was my big pile of dirt! That kept them entertained for hours!

When Mario came to visit a couple of months ago I asked him what he thought the most important thing to get finished for the Easter convention layout tour was (I doubt many people have visited more layouts than Mario so it was good to get his input). He suggested that the view when entering the room was the most important and that I should try to get that finished. This, of course, is not possible given the time frame but we decided it would be worth it to try to get this area fully mocked up.

So yesterday was very wet here and the garden looked pretty uninviting - so I started on my mock-up design stage. I have some ideas set in concrete, some areas where one of two or three ideas will eventually win out, and some areas where I have very little idea of what I will eventually create. The roads in the majority of this area are very steep and very curvy and very congested, and the spaces around them are odd and small and often have multiple curved road frontages at gradient to contend with. I start by taping a few walls together so they are self supporting and moving them around until I find something that I like, seems in scale and workable for the site and then start on the process of cutting and sellotaping photocopies of the kit walls together to create a 3-D structure. I am using polystyrene pieces as the solid form to which I attach these paper photocopies. I measure and cut one piece out of 40mm thick poly, and then use this as a template for the others. I stack these on top of each other and hold together with flat headed nails.

Here is a DPM M T Arms hotel kit-bash taking shape. I put my block of shops kit-bash on the road front forwards of the M T Arms to see what something like this would look like. Its a bit too wide and deep at the edges but I like the idea. I would like to give it a basement with a road frontage at the street below as well.

Here are a couple more with the shops removed from different angles.

And two more where I have replaced the right hand end with a City classics kit-bash mock-up. I think I like this change better. I have a couple of other city classics structures that I could try also - as they are all pretty much the same size.

Opinions?

More soon, cheers, Mark.
TRAINS1941 Posted - 11/02/2019 : 4:54:52 PM
Wow a regular pig out!!

Nice work on those buildings going skyward!!
Ensign Posted - 11/02/2019 : 3:32:37 PM
Mark, it appears your going hog wild in all of your ventures!

Greg Shinnie
Carl B Posted - 11/02/2019 : 1:53:16 PM
Looking good.
Bill Gill Posted - 11/02/2019 : 09:13:47 AM
Good photos of your latest work. The area is getting finished nicely.
Frank Palmer Posted - 11/02/2019 : 09:08:58 AM

Onward and upward.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 11/02/2019 : 12:06:24 AM
Hi guys.

I spent about 3 hours designing and building what I believe to be a freight elevator as an addition to my structure. I made this out of thin styrene sheet. The top section will be covered in corrugated iron and then the whole lot painted pearl white. I will add some thin strips of styrene every few scale feet up the elevator shaft to give the feel of sections of sheet metal. I found a small hatch door to add at the bottom. I also noticed a lovely little pattern at the top of the building that I will attempt to copy. I think I will paint mine in white to stand out more.

First here is a flipped close-up of the prototype structure to show what I am talking about.

And here are the sub assemblies sitting in position. As the road goes past the front of the model with very limited space I elected to put the elevator around the corner. I thought a bit of advertising from one of my other local businesses, Graves Elevators, might be a nice touch.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
Frank Palmer Posted - 10/27/2019 : 7:28:05 PM

Yum yum swill.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 10/27/2019 : 3:40:28 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for the comments Jerry, Carl, Frank and Michael. They are always very much appreciated.

Jerry - thanks! It is my favourite part of the hobby.

quote:
Love your brick walls...what is your method for chalk in the mortar joints? What chalk is used? And do you seal it in place?

Thanks Carl (and Frank). I have decided to paint the stack brick colour rather than white so I'll do a photo explanation when I do it to visually answer your question.

quote:
Your care pays off in some fine urban structures, with a variety in architecture and finishes that is very realistic. Iím looking forward to seeing them in place.

Thanks very much, Michael. I think maybe spending so much time immersing myself in photos of the prototype helps to get the mix of architectural finishes realistic. I took some of these structures to our local train show a couple of weeks ago where we were doing hands on modelling examples for the crowd. I thought getting brick colours and grout on some structures would be easy and show progress quickly. When modelling the next Thursday my friend, Neil, asked me if I was going to paint the structure in front of the Red Wing Mill kitbash in blue and white as well. I had already painted it brick colours and grouted it and painted the sills and lintels. That got me thinking and I immediately thought of the shot tower in Melbourne. Here they have built a modern mall several stories high with circular canter-levered floors overlooking the old historic shot tower in the middle. I decided that the structure in front of my Red Wing Mill could be the old part of the complex with historical significance so therefore the stack coming out of its roof should also be preserved in its original brick colours.

quote:
How much latitude does your plan for building placement have? As you finish structures the can you move them around until you are happy with a final arrangement?

Depends on the structure, but usually very little. I usually start with a site surrounded with roads at grade etc and so have a very specific size, shape and often stepped elevation to build upon. I then go about designing a complex to fit this site. I build in sub-assemblies as it is easier to work on, but very seldom do they move from these positions. An exception would be where I was working on composing the old port scene, made up of several small structures. Having said that I was still really thinking of these as mock-ups. I get myself in trouble when I build without a site in mind, as I often find that I just can't make the structure fit anywhere where I am happy with it.

So when I had painted the structure storm blue it looked very grey - almost the same colour as the factory grey colour. I found it staggering how different that blue looked when framed by the pearl white! I didn't tweak the colours on the last of these three photos so that colour is the closest to reality. remember there will also be a lot of dirtying up to be done.

Showing the full complex.

A little closer.

Closer still.

Mirilla's 1st birthday. Here Marilla and Dorothy share a birthday breakfast in party hats! Milly's birthday is also the second anniversary of Mum's passing - I thought mum would enjoy this!

More soon, cheers, Mark.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000