Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 57 ]  [ Total: 58 ]  [ Newest Member: SandersReview ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Mike Chambers' Craftsman's Corner
 Tellynott corner module

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
mark_dalrymple Posted - 02/25/2011 : 4:22:03 PM
Hi all.

I will, in weeks to come, carry on with this module, but for now, just wanted to let everyone know I was safe. At present, we still have no internet, so can only reply every few days when out and about.

Just a quick update to let everyone know that myself and all that i know (so far) are all OK after Christchurch's 6.3 earthquake. Although much small than our september 7.1, this earthquake (on a newly discovered fault line I believe) was much closer to the city and far shallower. it caused substantial damage in the central city ( including the total destruction of two multi story buildings) and also many of the burbs. The death toll last I heard was 113, but this is expected to rise to over 200. Many of the older buildings were OK or saveable after our sept earthquake, but are now piles of rubble.

On a positive note, Tellynott lives on, with some repairable damage. I will post pics of the Tellynott damage when we have internet back on at home, and an update.

Its a good day to be alive.

Cheers, Mark.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
mark_dalrymple Posted - 08/05/2020 : 3:32:24 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks very much, Frank.

Next on my list were the walls for the suspended deck area. I cut 4x4 posts to length on my chopper and then cut the bottom half down to 4x2's. These were glued to the front of two green wall sections. I added a bearer to the back of the front wall and a joist to the back of the side wall. I cut out 4x4 sections from a piece of 6x2 stripwood to fit around the posts and glued these pieces to the top of the walls. I then added pieces of 4x2 as rails, using a piece of 4x2 as a spacer.

The deck was made up from 10x2's. I glued a bearer to the front of the main wall section and a joist to the right side wall to get things at the right height. I then fitted the deck, trimming around wall protrusions such as the corner trim. I left off the back decking so I could see what I was doing when gluing into position. I glued this main deck into position, but left it floating at the front. I then glued on the left side wall, but didn't attach this to the front post. Finally I glued on the front wall and glued this and the side wall to the two posts at the front. It seems the further on I get with this project the fiddlier it gets!

Next up is to finish the decking, add a support post under the central bearer at the left end, and make a roof. I'm hoping to get a bit more done this afternoon.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
Frank Palmer Posted - 07/31/2020 : 5:11:09 PM

I really like the congestion and cluttered look of the "big city".
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/31/2020 : 4:53:06 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks Michael, Frank, Rob and Bruce.

Michael - I haven't laid rolled roofing, but I've built plenty of flat roofs and watched the masters at work.

Well, I've managed to get a bit more done.

Photos 1 and 2 - show the stairway finished. I put a couple of supports bolted to the wall. I also had to cut a piece out of the parapet wall for access to the roof. This was a tricky little sub assembly to get right.

Photos 3, 4 and 5 - show the roof completed except for a few touch ups. I have put capping on the walls, added some roof top detail and some walkways for maintenance. I have also made a new roof for the extended rooftop addition.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
Dutchman Posted - 07/22/2020 : 09:36:57 AM
Nice job on the clerestory, Mark.
robert goslin Posted - 07/21/2020 : 9:52:27 PM
Nice work on the roof Mark. The masking tape, will give it some nice texture too.
Frank Palmer Posted - 07/20/2020 : 7:15:05 PM

Nice color!
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/20/2020 : 5:58:36 PM
Mark, it looks like you know how to lay roofing paper. It’s very realistic.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/20/2020 : 3:57:56 PM
Hi guys.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving comments, Carl, Jerry and Rob.

I decided to move on to the main roof. Rolled roofing seemed like the easiest and most logical choice, although I think I will go for grey this time to change things up a bit.

I prepared some roof details and built an extension to add to the back of the sloped roof protrusion towards the front center of the complex. I kept the rake of the roof-line the same as the protrusion to keep the roof simpler. I added a small door to the left side. There is a staircase to go from the blue addition with the fish sign on it up to the roof, and I wanted a good reason for this. A door leading back down to the floor below will suffice. I have also stained some 8x1 for a rooftop walkway which will lead to this door, and also to the rooftop shed.

Photo 1 - shows me preparing my high tack tape. I mark the center of the tape and then run a pencil around using my finger as a spacer to keep the distance constant. I then undo the tape as shown and cut down the pencil-line with a sharp knife. I then use scissors to cut the roofing to length. I ruled lines on the rooftop as guides.

Photo 2 - shows the roof half done. There is a bit of fussing with tweezers, a ruler and a knife to try and fold up the flashings and poke/ prod pieces into the corners.

Photo 3 - shows the roof completed.

Photo 4 - shows the small shed.

Photo 5 - shows the back and one side (without the door) of the new addition and a close up of the flashing detail.

Next up is to paint and weather the roof, and then add the details including the rooftop walkway, connecting exterior stairway and the wall capping.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
robert goslin Posted - 07/19/2020 : 02:13:40 AM
Mark great to see you continuing with this build, as I did enjoy it during the Challenge.
The cupola looks good.

TRAINS1941 Posted - 07/17/2020 : 12:13:07 PM
Very Nice Mark!!
Carl B Posted - 07/17/2020 : 10:01:52 AM
Nicely done Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/16/2020 : 8:06:49 PM
Hi guys.

Well - a bit of progress to the cannery.

The right end addition has had the final ventilation grill added at the top of the gable. I added blinds to the windows and glued the second half of the sub-assembly into position.

I glued a row of window shutters to a plastic backing and then cut this into to long sections. I also did the same with two gable ends, cutting the rake into top. These were painted brown/ black and then dry brushed. I glued 8x8 timber corners to the sides of the gable and trimmed. I glued the two sides to a plastic 'floor', and then attached the ends. I painted up 4x2's in unbleached titanium and added these as trim to the sides of the cupola. I made up roof sections from black card and covered these in high tack painters tape. I painted these a brown/ black and then dry brushed with unbleached titanium. I left the tape slightly long at the internal ends of the larger roof to turn up as flashings. I glued the roof to the cupola and added barge boards. I then carefully fitted the cupola through the rectangular hole in the larger roof and glued to the bottom of the 4x2 timber trim. I then glued the larger roof to the structure. I still have the barge boards to add to the larger roof.

Photos 1 and 2 - show the cupola completed.

Photo 3 - shows the larger roof.

Photo 4 - shows the roof glued to the structure, shown from the back.

More soon, cheers, Mark.
mark_dalrymple Posted - 07/09/2020 : 4:48:55 PM
Gee, Greg - see what you've opened up now!!???

Thanks, Mike. I actually took my wife to a triple showing featuring Eraserhead as one of the movies for one of our first dates. As she managed to sit through two of the three movies, I knew it was true love!

Kimbo - if Eraserhead is in your drawer, treat yourself to a viewing of Peter Jackson's zombie comedy 'brain dead'.

Cheers, Mark.
Michael Hohn Posted - 07/09/2020 : 10:19:24 AM
My wife’s reaction to the cannery workers: “That is truly disgusting”. And she has seen A Clockwork Orange, in German.

I think you’ve succeeded, Mark.

Mike

kebmo1 Posted - 07/09/2020 : 06:33:33 AM
eraserhead. holy cow. the baby in the drawer. that's one of the wierdest films ever made.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-2020 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000