Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 5 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 73 ]  [ Total: 78 ]  [ Newest Member: ghostvet ]
 All Forums
 General Forums
 The Arrival Track
 New Members: Please Introduce Yourselves II

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
George D Posted - 11/04/2010 : 2:46:22 PM
Our last thread of introductions grew to a whopping 100 pages. I guess itís time to start a new thread.

Mike C provided the original guidance for this thread which works pretty well.

It's really great getting to know one another. If you're a new member (or even an old one who never replied to the original thread), please take a few moments and introduce yourself to us here.

1) Where do you live?
2) How long have you been a model railroader, and how did you get started in the hobby?
3) Do you model a prototype railroad or freelance your layout?
4) Do you model a certain era and/or geographic region?
5) How large is your layout and what scale do you model?
6) What's your favorite part of the hobby? And what do you enjoy least?
7) How do you control your trains (DC, DCC, or something else)?
8) Tell us anything else about yourself you'd like us to know.
9) Post your picture - if you dare.

If you want to see how others answered the questions, the last thread is here: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8297&whichpage=1

George
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
BigLars Posted - 01/25/2020 : 6:20:50 PM
Welcome Ian, freelance is great as you get to do what you want and fallow less rules.
tloc Posted - 01/22/2020 : 08:53:38 AM
Welcome to the forum Ian. Donít worry about what you model as you will find a lot of us here started with a prototype but modeled the same as you, what strikes our fancy. You will find some tremendous excellent modelers here in all scales.

TomO
jbvb Posted - 01/22/2020 : 08:22:05 AM
Welcome, Ian. Most of us who have layouts have gone through the paring down process, so our thoughts on it might be useful to you.
Faire to Midland Posted - 01/21/2020 : 10:05:30 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Ian, and I've been playing with N scale since I was a teenager. I've been using the name Faire to Midland for my layouts since I was about 16. I've visited this forum off and on for a few years actually. I first found it when somebody linked to a garage someone here was building in 1/35th scale. It was really impressive work, but I kind of quit following progress when the thread seemed to become more about playing with dolls. I then sort of forgot about this forum for a while after that, but I was recently reminded of it an checked it out again. I am fascinated with the Early Rail forum, as that is the era to which I would like to build my next layout. The pictures and ideas and research offered up in those posts really inspire me, and I'm excited to start posting there myself.

My new layout room is 7-1/2 feet by 16 feet, and I intend to create a freelanced short line railroad somewhere in the Arkansas Ozarks or Ouachitas somewhere around the turn of the 20th century. I'm not real big on any prototype fidelity, I draw my inspiration from all over the place. While my original interest in the area came from the White River division of the MP, I have a bad habit of wanting to incorporate design ideas from just about every good railroad book I read, and I read a LOT so... I'm hoping for some help to pare down my ideas, build a clearer vision and turn that vision into an actionable plan.

Hawghead Posted - 01/14/2020 : 11:47:39 AM
I don't check this thread as often as I should so I'll just say welcome to all the latest new arrivals. I'm glad to see we are getting some more narrow gauge fans.

Scott
jbvb Posted - 01/08/2020 : 5:35:48 PM
Welcome, Mr. King and Mr. Murphy. Mr. King, I've climbed some mountains in Stratton, but don't know any modelers there. The closest concentration of model railroaders to you is probably the Great Falls club in Auburn. If you're interested in the NMRA, take a look at seacoastnmra.org. The Seacoast Division is also involved with the Maine Model Railroad tour in September, and several members' layouts are usually open for Tour de Chooch after Thanksgiving (tourdechooch.org).
dad4the3 Posted - 01/08/2020 : 3:51:36 PM
Here goes nothin....live in pierson mi....been runnin trains now for over 50 years.Modeling in ho....little bit of n scale and sometimes g scale.recently bit by craftsman kit bug.after reading posts on this forum i decided to join.thanks
BurleyJim Posted - 01/01/2020 : 5:49:51 PM
Welcome to the group! Thanks for joining us and hope we can make you feel as though you are part of the crew. We're a fairly laid back bunch, but there are some great talents and helpful knowledge folks here for you to help build your skills.

Jim in Indiana

PS You seldom. if ever see a or a  thingamabob here, but you'll see your fair share of 's and 's

jking207 Posted - 01/01/2020 : 3:48:16 PM
Greetings all. I am a recent transplant from Columbus, Ohio to Western Maine (Stratton). As a child my Grand Father was a huge rail fan. We would explore the tracks in Northwestern, Ohio. Now decades latter I am thinking about a small layout. I have been a modeler most of my life and thought Iíd dabble in HO for a change of pace. My first project has been Sheepscotís Catís Head Pier which I have been working on since July. A build thread posted here has helped me greatly on the project. I really enjoy the work posted here and hope to get better at the craft.
Dutchman Posted - 12/28/2019 : 08:10:21 AM
Chris & Jerry, welcome to the RR-L Forums and thanks for taking the time to tell us a bit about your interests. We hope that you enjoy your time here!
jbvb Posted - 12/26/2019 : 08:27:35 AM
Welcome aboard, Chris. I'm guessing that the local modeling community is pretty small and supplies must be mail ordered. Maybe we can help on the community. The way motivation worked for me, I had a space with pieces of layout in it for 12 years before I took it to heart that I wanted a complete layout and nobody was going to build it except me. That was 12 years ago and getting my main line complete only took about 4 years.
ChrisFrissell Posted - 12/25/2019 : 10:56:48 PM
Hello, I've been an occasional lurker here for some years, especially checking out some of the 3-ft narrow gauge prototype historical information, and HOn30 modeling projects. I finally decided I should register, especially given this is a fairly happening place for HOn30.

I live in Polson, Montana, USA. I've been in the hobby since about 11 years old, though, with an extended hiatus during my 20s and early 30s. So that spans roughly 48 years or so.

I am a prototype modeler in HO scale of the Northern Pacific Railway, Rocky Mountain Division in 1969. I also have a latent interest in modeling the 1970s Lehigh Valley. Thirdly, I freelance a fictional West Coast 30-inch gauge line in HOn30.

I have a modest layout space available for an NP layout, but have been in a malingering planning stage of activity on that for years. I have managed to complete several dioramas for model photography. And I'm in the early stages of designing a couple of small shelf modules to host my various HOn30 projects. I was infected with Frary and Hayden disease as a kid by the original Elk River Line series in RMC. I was in remission for a long time, but it's come back with a the past couple of years.

I especially enjoy researching, constructing, detailing and weathering rolling stock and locomotives, and photographing them. I love scenery conception and execution, I'm a decent hand at structures, but I'm not so good at track-laying, and suck at electronics. I employ NCE DCC for the HO standard gauge, DC for HOn30. I also do some prototype railroad photography and have had a few shots published.

See you around the place maybe.

2Tracks Posted - 12/22/2019 : 12:55:18 PM
Hello all.....
And welcome to you newest members also....
Jerry here in Klamath Falls Oregon. Located about 35 miles on the East side of the Cascade Mts., a few miles north of the Californy border.
I picked up my first train set (HO) with track on a piece of 4x8 ply., way back, that's way back, in '66, from a family friend.
Three years ago I had the first real opportunity for a layout. I divided the shop building with a wall and made the back portion the layout room. It is 12x20 ft., walk through door is center of long inside wall. The layout (still HO) is an around the room with a peninsula. I'm modeling the Great Northern Railway on the Gateway subdivision. That was next to the last line that the GN constructed starting around 1923, going from Klamath Falls Ore. to Bieber Cal. The Western Pacific built from Keddie Cal. to Bieber. (that's correct, this is were the famous wye is at, I have been on it several times, and got to explore the remains of the WPs Keddie roundhouse.) Ok, I'm modeling GN freight from late 30s to early 50s, with first gen. EMD Fs GPs & Alco RSs. Running the risk of getting banned here, I don't do steam! Don't have any (just 1), not getting any! I like covered wagons!
The peninsula is split in half, with the logging RR (hence the 2Tracks) starting on an incline on one side of the room around three walls & ending on the other half of the peninsula 8 3/4" above the main level. Other half of pen. is freight yard.
When I got the freight line operational and started doing switching in the yard, I found out that I really enjoy that. So. it's a revamp of the layout. Plans were changed, now there is lower level staging, main level freight operations, upper level logging RR. Currently working on the tear down of the 'ol layout.
The logging RR is the Pacific Lumber Co., that, is were I have the one pieces of steam power, a Rivarossi 2 Truck Heisler.
Building three different levels (with helixes) looks daunting, but then again, when I first started the 'ol layout build, that looked daunting!
My most experience with model RRing is in car building, RTR cars are ok, but I like the variety that kits offer and enjoy the builds. I've installed almost all of the decoders that I have in my motors and am using an NCE PH-PRO-R wireless 5amp DDC system. I've been on this forum a short time and I have already picked up a couple of techniques for weathering & building const. Hope I can offer any assistance when needed...
Have a great day and too all, Holiday Cheer!

my motto-- "The Only Consistence Is The Inconsistency"
George D Posted - 12/16/2019 : 8:27:18 PM
John, you're not the first member to have problems posting pictures. Here are some links to good info on posting pictures.
http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=27749

George
Dizzy Posted - 12/16/2019 : 6:35:35 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hohn

John, welcome! Youíre modeling an interesting period. Iím looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mike

Thank you, I've posted in the scratch build forum. I'm still trying to get the hang of this web sight, it doesn't like to down load my pictures from my camera, so I have to do it a different way.

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-19 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000