Railroad Line Forums
Railroad Line Forums
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Sponsors   Support the RRLine   Guestbook   FAQ     Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Resources | Members | Online Users | Live Chat | Avatar Legend | Search | Statistics
Photo Album | File Lister | File Library
[ Active Members: 7 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 101 ]  [ Total: 108 ]  [ Newest Member: bogeycat99 ]
 All Forums
 Model Railroad Forums
 Model Railroad Construction
 NMRA AP Civil Eng.Certificate "Support" Thread

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Posting Form
Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List Spell Checker

Callouts: Insert Speech Icon: duh! Insert Speech Icon: oops! Insert Speech Icon: sigh! Insert Speech Icon: ugh! Insert Speech Icon: wow! Insert Speech Icon: yeah! Insert Speech Icon: ok! Insert Speech Icon: yes! Insert Speech Icon: no!
Message Icon:              

Smilies
Alien_125 [:-alien] Angel_125 [:-angel] Angry [:(!] Apple_125 [:-apple]
Approve [^] Ashamed_125 [:-ashamed] Banghead_125 [:-banghead] Baseball_125 [:-baseball]
Basketball_125 [:-basketball] Batman_125 [:-batman] Big Smile [:D] Bigeyes_125 [:-bigeyes]
Bigeyes2_125 [:-bigeyes2] Bigmouth_125 [:-bigmouth] Black Eye [B)] Blindfold_125 [:-blindfold]
Blush [:I] Boggled_125 [:-boggled] Boring_125 [:-boring] Bouncy_125 [:-bouncy]
Brokenheart_125 [:-brokenheart] Bulb_125 [:-bulb] Bunny_125 [:-bunny] Captain_125 [:-captain]
Censored_125 [:-censored] Chef_125 [:-chef] Clock_125 [:-clock] clover_125 [:-clover]
Clown [:o)] clown_125 [:-clown] Cold_125 [:-cold] Cool [8D]
Cowboy_125 [:-cowboy] Crazy_125 [:-crazy] Cry_125 [:-cry] Cyclops_125 [:-cyclops]
Dead [xx(] Devil_125 [:-devil] Disapprove [V] Disguise_125 [:-disguise]
Dog_125 [:-dog] Doggy_125 [:-doggy] Dopey_125 [:-dopey] Drool_125 [:-drool]
Drunk_125 [:-drunk] Dunce_125 [:-dunce] Eight Ball [8] Evil [}:)]
Eyebrows_125 [:-eyebrows] Fight_125 [:-fight] Football_125 [:-football] Ghost_125 [:-ghost]
Glasses_125 [:-glasses] Gnasher_125 [:-gnasher] Goldfish_125 [:-goldfish] Golf_125 [:-golf]
Graduate_125 [:-graduate] Grumpy_125 [:-grumpy] Headache_125 [:-headache] Headphones_125 [:-headphones]
Hearts_125 [:-hearts] Hockey_125 [:-hockey] Hot_125 [:-hot] Hypnotized_125 [:-hypnotized]
Idea_125 [:-idea] Indifferent_125 [:-indifferent] Irked_125 [:-irked] Jester_125 [:-jester]
Jump_125 [:-jump] Jump2_125 [:-jump2] jumprefect_125 [:-jumprefect] King_125 [:-king]
Kisses [:X] Kitty_125 [:-kitty] Knockout_125 [:-knockout] Love_125 [:-love]
Magnify_125 [:-magnify] Masked_125 [:-masked] Mean_125 [:-mean] Mischievous_125 [:-mischievous]
Mohawk_125 [:-mohawk] Moptop_125 [:-moptop] Mouse_125 [:-mouse] Mummy_125 [:-mummy]
Nonono_125 [:-nonono] Ouch_125 [:-ouch] Paperbag_125 [:-paperbag] Party_125 [:-party]
Piggy_125 [:-piggy] Pirate_125 [:-pirate] Propeller_125 [:-propeller] Psst_125 [:-psst]
Pumpkin_125 [:-pumpkin] Question [?] Sad [:(] Scared_125 [:-scared]
Shades_125 [:-shades] Shake_125 [:-shake] Shock [:O] Shy [8)]
Sick_125 [:-sick] Sing_125 [:-sing] Skull_125 [:-skull] Slaphappy_125 [:-slaphappy]
Sleep_125 [:-sleep] Sleepy [|)] Slug_125 [:-slug] Sly_125 [:-sly]
Smgreen_125 [:-smile_green] Smile [:)] Smirk_125 [:-smirk] Snooty_125 [:-snooty]
Snorkel_125 [:-snorkel] soccer_125 [:-soccer] Sonar_125 [:-sonar] Sour_125 [:-sour]
Spin_125 [:-spin] Splat_125 [:-splat] Star_125 [:-star] Tapedshut_125 [:-tophat]
Tapedshut_125 [:-taped] Thumbdn_125 [:-thumbd] Thumbup_125 [:-thumbu] Tiger_125 [:-tiger]
Timebomb_125 [:-timebm] Toast_125 [:-toast] Tongue [:P] Tongue_125 [:-tong2]
Tophat_125 [:-tophat] Turtle_125 [:-turtle] Vampire_125 [:-vamp] Viking_125 [:-viking]
Weeping_125 [:-weepn] Williamtell_125 [:-wiltel] Wink [;)] Witch_125 [:-witch]
Xmas_125 [;-xmas] Yawn_125 [:-yawn] Yuck_125 [:-yuck]  

-  HTML is OFF | Forum Code is ON
   Insert a File

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Dutchman Posted - 02/10/2009 : 12:17:59 PM
This thread is one of a series of threads intended to help RR-L Forum members who are also members of the NMRA and are working within the NMRA’s Achievement Program. This is not a thread to debate the pros and cons of either the NMRA or the Achievement Program. For a full explanation of the purpose of these threads, members should refer to this thread on the forum: http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24676

This is the category where the tire meets the road (or where the wheelsets meet the rails)!

To earn this certificate, you must prepare one original scale drawing of a model railroad track plan, identifying overall size, scale, track elevations, curve radii, and turnout sizes. There are specific requirements for what must be included in this drawing on the NMRA website here: http://www.nmra.org/education/achievement/ap_civil.html

After preparing the scale drawing, you must then construct and demonstrate the satisfactory operation of a completed section of the model railroad and track work described in the scale drawing. There are again specific linear feet requirements for differing scales that can be found at the link above. When doing the trackwork, you must include appropriate ballast, drainage facilities, and roadbed profile, which may contain spurs, yards, etc. Construct for Merit Judging, scratch built scale models of any three of the following, and demonstrate their satisfactory operation (the three must achieve Merit status):

• Turnout (point or stub)
• Crossover
• Double Crossover
• Single Slip Switch
• Double Slip Switch
• Crossing
• Gauntlet Track
• Gauntlet Turnout
• Dual Gauge Turnout
• Gauge Separation Turnout (Narrow gauge splitting off from dual gauge)
• Double Junction Turnout (One set of parallel tracks diverges from another)
• Three-Way Turnout
• Spring Switch
• Operating Switch in Overhead Wire
• Other ___________

Note: Commercial frogs are not permitted to be used in any of these items. These models may be built and demonstrated as part of the layout or separately.

I believe that we have a number of RR-L members who have either completed these requirements or are currently working on them. I hope that they jump in here with some insights and pictures.
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Frank Palmer Posted - 08/01/2017 : 7:47:46 PM
I think if you built one like this it should satisfy several requirements.

Joe-SVL Posted - 08/01/2017 : 7:03:17 PM
Gantlet track inquiry

I have decided to build a gantlet track as my third track piece and could use some help.

Question 1 - What length did those who have built gantlet track make your piece of gantlet track? Length recommendations are always welcome.

Question 2 - Is the No-Go tab on the HO-scale standards gauge the generally accepted spacing between rails 1 and 2, and rails 3 and 4 on a piece of gantlet tracks?

thanks

Joe Brann
Orlando FL
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/17/2017 : 1:52:03 PM
When the judging is done on the track pieces that one builds to fulfill the requirements for this certificate what NMRA Standards or RP-s are used by the judges to evaluate the construction or conformity of the item being judged? Certainly the flangeway and the No-Go nubs on the NMRA Standards gauge are used; but are other measurements a la RP-13.x taken?

Also are the track groves in a Fast Track turnout jig, particularly around the frog, compliant with NMRA standards or RP-s. I know the guard rail to stock rail is.

thanks

Joe Brann
Orlando, FL
Dutchman Posted - 07/16/2017 : 11:07:24 PM
Joe, I think it was PolyScale grey primer.
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/16/2017 : 5:43:27 PM
Bruce,

What did you use as a primer on the PC ties before you painted them?

Joe
Dutchman Posted - 07/07/2017 : 09:18:17 AM
Joe,

I think it was a 50/50 mix of Rust and Rail Brown PolyScale paint.
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/07/2017 : 08:55:24 AM
>> I had fun doing it and it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. Often the way, isn't it?<<

Absolutely. Right from the beginning last Monday I have had a ball making my first turnout. Not anywhere near as daunting as originally expected due totally to the fine Fast Tracks jigs and video! The track on my layout is completed so my two turnouts will only be used by me for the Civil Certificate, which will be #6

It looks like you stained your QuickStick ties, what did you do to the PC ties to make them appear as they are in your fine video?

Joe
jbvb Posted - 07/06/2017 : 7:54:20 PM
I built one turnout to Merit Award stadards. Photos on pg. 1 and 2 of this thread, and in my B&M Eastern Route thread. It's a foot from the audience when my Rowley module is on display. I don't know how many of them appreciate it, but it is quite visible in close-up photos. If you're doing your Civil track on a separate board, consider arranging it as a photographic diorama like a lot of other modelers keep around to set up outside when photographing a completed car/loco project.
Dutchman Posted - 07/06/2017 : 7:36:33 PM
Joe, we should only be held to the standards, and not 'recommended practices', so you should be okay.

If the turnout works well and the clearances and track gauge checks out with the standards gauge, you should be fine.

I put enough spikes in the track work to hold it in place on the cork, but didn't over do it.

I left Civil go to the last Certificate because I had no background in making turnouts. In the end, I had fun doing it and it wasn't as bad as I had imagined. Often the way, isn't it?
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/06/2017 : 6:58:05 PM
Bruce
Sorry I forgot to reply to
"Will you be at the Convention in a few weeks?"

Presently I am not planning on attending. I know it is in town, but the Rosen Hotel is probably a good 30-45 minute drive from the house plus the daily parking fee which I don't know the cost of now.
BTW - GREAT track work in your video. You sure don't bite off the easy ones do you?

Joe
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/06/2017 : 5:41:16 PM
Bruce,

Video helped a whole lot. I was searching for something yesterday and saw in a drawer a roll of cork from long long ago that I had completed forgotten about. Did you secure your track to the cork? Any thoughts on whether I need to recut my switchpoint rail so that the wing rails will be the correct length?

thanks

Joe
Dutchman Posted - 07/06/2017 : 5:22:10 PM
Joe, perhaps my YouTube video of my civil eng. work will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aigsH2PONI

Will you be at the Convention in a few weeks?
Joe-SVL Posted - 07/06/2017 : 2:17:27 PM
I am in the process of making my first #6 turnout for my forthcoming Civil certificate application. I am using a borrowed Fast Track jig for this effort. For some reason when I cut the switchpoint rail which in Fast Tracks process includes the wing rail on the end I cut the rail maybe 1/16" short. So my inquiry is - do the certificate judges make measurements per NMRA RP-s when scoring a track piece? Also with the new functionality versus spike count / tie plate count/scenery etc. what is a good middle ground to strive for between just nailing the turnout to a piece of plywood or making a Scenery Certificate level scenery element out of the turnout (and crossover)? If anybody has photos of their track pieces at the time of their judging I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to see them.

thanks

Joe Brann
Orlando, FL
wvrr Posted - 04/16/2017 : 08:46:00 AM
Joe, I remembered an article I can scan for you that contains drawings, last night. I will scan it when I get home. In the meantime, PM your email address to me.

Chuck
wvrr Posted - 04/15/2017 : 4:34:12 PM
Joe,

A scale track is a form of a gantlet track, so it qualifies. If you have any questions, I will be happy to answer them. As Bruce mentioned, I am away for the weekend so I do not have as much access.

Chuck

Railroad Line Forums © 2000-17 Railroad Line Co. Go To Top Of Page
Steam was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000